Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel cough vacination cost

• 11-11-2006 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi,

I had my two dogs vaccinated for kennel cough today. I was charged 90 euro in total (along with some worming tablets which cost around 3 euro. This seems expensive to me - does anyone have an idea of how much the vaccination should cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Costs vary, depending on where you are in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yeah sounds about right for a vets in Dublin
    It lasts a year nowadays and I suppose divided out over the year isn't a great deal.
    Kennell Cough is a nasty oul thing and very hard to get rid of.
    My 1st dog came from rescue with it and was ages recovering from it.
    I keep mine topped up now against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

We have three dogs, 2 Jack Russells( 2 eejits) and a Yorkie. Wife vacinates them herself. Its just drops injected back the back their nose. You can get the stuff at a chemist. It's called Intrac Intransal Vaccine, they'll probably have to order it for you as it has a short shelf life. But it only costs about 10 / 12 euro per dog. Just administer it, remove the label and stick in vaccine record book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Yes but administering the vaccine yourself is not officially acceptable when it comes to record cards unless you get the vet's signature also, although some kennels may have more relaxed rules. Intrac is a prescription only medicine so it should only be availabale with a prescription, and prescription should only be supplied for animals a vet has examined recently and is therefore aware of their current health status.

Part of the visit should include a short clinical examination - the vaccine is not effective in certain situations and ultimately only a vet can decide that the dog should be vaccinated.

€90 does seem a little expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Thanks for the replies - I'm in Kildare by the way.

I needed the stamp on the vaccination record for kennels as they're going to be boarded next week.

I was looking back through my records and found that the last vaccination cost 25 euro at the same vets in Oct 2003 - seems strange that it'd have almost doubled in two years.

Anyway its peace of mind and good to see that the kennels that they're going to insists on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

All four of mine were given the kennel cough vaccine on Friday and one of them was also given the booster shots she was due and the bill was €97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Everything has doubled or triples in the past few years but 90 euro seems like a lot for 3 KC vax. and some wormer. Womring tablets have gone up a fierce amount,I either use Drontol or Parazole, the Parazole is under 8 euro a bottle and I could worm many dogs with that so I just worm my two and sometimes the mothers dog and sometimes the guinea pigs and give the rest away to a rescue because it would sit there for 3 months otherwise but it still works out a lot cheaper.

I think KC is about 20 or 25 euro now per dog for us, it should include a quick check of their chest and overall health, some vets skim past that very quickly but I think if you are paying that or above they should at least give the dog a really good once over before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

there is a place on the Southside of Dublin (a chemist) that you can go in and buy the kennel cough I think it works about about €12.00 and bring it to your vet for them to give it to the dog which would cut down on the cost greatly, if anyone wants the name let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smallie

€90.00 is an awful lot of money, thank God it is cheaper down the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 beautiful animals

Irish-Lass wrote: »
    there is a place on the Southside of Dublin (a chemist) that you can go in and buy the kennel cough I think it works about about €12.00 and bring it to your vet for them to give it to the dog which would cut down on the cost greatly, if anyone wants the name let me know.

Irish-Lass, can you message me please, I've tried to get in touch but have not mastered the art yet. thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Irish-Lass, can you message me please, I've tried to get in touch but have not mastered the art yet. thanks very much.

hi welcome to boards just so you know that post is about 8 years old

the last time that person was active was feb 2013

rgs jimf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Irish lass posted that info 8 years ago... I think inflation may have got a hold of that price since.
    I'm also pretty sure that Irish lass doesn't look in here too much any more.
    Please don't resurrect ancient threads!
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement