Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish American Interested in Buying a Rifle

Options
  • 11-11-2006 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i move to dublin a few months ago, and i'd like to continue shooting as i did in the US. I have dual Irish/US citizensip and no criminal record. to be perfectly honest, i haven't had the chance to look into this myself so i'd like a basic outline of regulations. i heard something about a caliber restriction of .270, is this still in effect? i've also heard that you need a gunsafe. i want to continue long distance shooting that i did while i was in the US, where i was shooting .308(accuracy international aw), but if it's legal here, i'd like to go with .338 lapua(awsm). are there any good ranges over here for this kind of shooting? where are they? i'm in dublin btw. thanks guys :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well, the 270 restriction is now gone.in THEORY it is possible to get a liscensefrom a 22lr up to 50BMG.Trouble is you have to prove genuine reason for wanting it.That is the tricky part to convince your local superintendant[cheif of police] that you have a good reason for wanting a 338.
    It is abit tricky.
    As for a gunsafe,it isnt a safe per se ,but a strong lockable cabinet made from mild steel sheeting.About 100 to 500 Euros depending on how many guns.
    As for ranges,well most of the pouplation is around Dublin so the good ranges are on the East side of Ireland.
    Read thru the posts here to see what and where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 libert17

thanks for the help. would long range target shooting be a good enough reason, or would i need something more?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It would be sufficient, but you'd have to be in a target shooting club. And so far as I know there's only one in the ROI which has a range on which a .338 wouldn't be like a blue whale in a paddling pool, and that'd be the Midlands club. Also, given the ooomph behind a .338, you could expect to be asked to have decent security for it - a gunsafe, and probably a monitored house alarm with a sensor on the safe or the room it's in. But then, both of those would be good ideas anyway, so it's not hugely onerous.

You won't be able to reload until sometime next year though; that part of the new legislation isn't active yet. So for the first while, it may be a bit expensive :D

Advertisement