Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a word

Options
  • 11-11-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

I was watching a triathlon a while ago on TV, and during the cycling stage the commentator referred to the mass of cyclists using a longish word that started with P and may have ended with M or N. Does anyone know what this mystery word is? It's been bugging me for a while. (As you can probably tell I have little to do atm :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

peleton??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Was it "peloton"?

edit: i lose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Yep OP, its peleton. Its a French cycling term which, I think, means group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Sounds right! Cheers for replying.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This being the etymology board, I should point out that the word "peloton" means "small pellet".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

oscarBravo wrote:
    This being the etymology board, I should point out that the word "peloton" means "small pellet".

Source?

Compact OED:

peloton

• noun the main group of cyclists in a race.

— ORIGIN French, ‘small ball’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just for completeness:

Peloton is a term used to describe a large group or pack of people in a bicycle road race. Technically, a peloton is the main group of cyclists in a race. Cyclists in a race form a peloton because riding in a large pack helps to conserve energy. This is because being near other riders, particularly behind them, assists with drafting. Drafting, also referred to as slipstreaming, is a strategy used in racing that helps reduce drag. As a result, the racer experiences less wind resistance and is able to conserve energy.

When riding in a peloton, cyclists form what appears to be one large unit. Therefore, the riders within the peloton must make adjustments and compensations for the riders surrounding them in order to prevent accidents and to achieve the most effective results. Riders must pay particular attention to the riders directly in front of them while riding in a peloton.

The riders in the front of the peloton are the ones who must do the majority of the work, because they are exposed to the wind more than the other riders. Nonetheless, it is generally best to be near the front of a peloton. Being in the front of a peloton makes it easier for the rider to react to changes in position and to attacks from other riders.

Another advantage to being in the front of the peloton is the fact that a change in the front portion becomes increasingly greater once it reaches the back of the group. As a result, the riders in the back portion of the peloton have to make adjustments at a faster rate in order to prevent an accident. The riders at the front of the peloton also have the advantage of setting the speed for the group. In addition, a peloton ultimately breaks into smaller groups as riders change their speeds and make adjustments. Being in the back portion of the peloton increases the likelihood of getting caught in the back group and falling behind.

Since the term peloton is used to refer to professional cyclists within a group, the term is also sometimes used as a general term for professional cyclists.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Slow coach wrote:
    Source?
    Webster's. There's not that much difference between "small pellet" and "small ball".

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

oscarBravo wrote:
    Webster's. There's not that much difference between "small pellet" and "small ball".
    There is in meh pellets a difference.

Advertisement