Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Microsleep from tiredness while driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1sp7x0A2Wg

How many accidents do these microsleeps cause i wonder.

I would assume lots and lots, single vehicle accidents, no obvious reasons ?
    then again, if we all had cameras like that guy fitted we would have a number ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

That clip was played on the Late Late Show one night. According to Pat Kenny that poor guy died as a result of that accident

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The impact really is shocking. I wonder had he been wearing a seatbelt would he have survived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Must happen alot, (slightly OT) have you ever been driving along and suddenly realised you can't remember a thing about the last 5/10 miles of your journey?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Stephen wrote:
    The impact really is shocking. I wonder had he been wearing a seatbelt would he have survived?

In America (that's where the video was shot) it's only compulsary to wear seat belts in certain states AFAIK.

For Mike's question yes I have had that happen to me on a few occasions quite a strange feeling when you come out of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

He got fairly thrown around, didn't he?
    Awful.

He'd almost certainly have survived, I would GUESS, if he wore his belt. There's a sickening moment where he hits the dash with his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

mike65 wrote:
    Must happen alot, (slightly OT) have you ever been driving along and suddenly realised you can't remember a thing about the last 5/10 miles of your journey?

Mike.

Thats not sleep. Driving induces a kind of hypnotic effect on most drivers. especially monotonous dual carriageway or motorway driving. You start zoning out and thinking about stuff then something catches your eye and brings you back to reality.
    Everyone does it, its the way the brain works.

Microsleep is different.. you are actualy asleep for a few seconds. Happened to me years ago. When i moved over the rumble strips on the hard shoulder i was brought back.. scary stuff.

I heard on the radio last week that someone on the M50 was tired so to save causing an accident he pulled into the hard shoulder, as the government advised people to do and took a nap for a few mins... next thing he knows a garda taps on the window and fines him for stopping on the motorway! You cant win.. i would say he could appeal that on the grounds that drving in his condition was unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is the camera in the car for insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saruman wrote:
    I heard on the radio last week that someone on the M50 was tired so to save causing an accident he pulled into the hard shoulder, as the government advised people to do and took a nap for a few mins... next thing he knows a garda taps on the window and fines him for stopping on the motorway! You cant win.. i would say he could appeal that on the grounds that drving in his condition was unsafe.

If you are tired on a motorway then you should exit asap and find somewhere safe to stop - a hard shoulder is the most dangerous place to take a nap.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

oleras wrote:
    I would assume lots and lots, single vehicle accidents, no obvious reasons ?
    then again, if we all had cameras like that guy fitted we would have a number ! :D

It's certainly an interesting thought. They can't all be drink related. I have also heard that many are suicide related, as it's generally effective and may save some of the grief the family go through. Apparently "they" were trying to do some research into the subject to try and establish any links.

• Advertisement
Advertisement