Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Photo Blocker Spray ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Someone think of the children. Think of Squishy.

Maybe you can explain the reason for the 5km/hr speed limit near my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Someone think of the children. Think of Squishy.

Maybe you can explain the reason for the 5km/hr speed limit near my house.
    If you want to take the piss, I can start a thread in TCN?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think this thread can be closed unless there is more info about these useless aerosols!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Stark wrote:
    Wow, I never thought that by doing 65kph in the 60kph section of the M50 that the risk of me hitting a child cycling out of a driveway with another car coming against me could double. They should have named the hypothetical child Squishy. Poor Squishy, I shall think of him the next time I have a few drinks and decide to stray over the speed limit while having my chat on my mobile phone.
    I believe it is 60kph because of roadworks. So replace child Squishy with roadworker Squishy and yes, exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Kippy has made some very valid points here.

Imo, the sale and use of aids to avoid speeding penalties should be made illegal, if it is not already illegal. It would be a fair assumption that anyone considering purchasing any such aid/device is contemplating breaking the speed limit, and will therefore intentionally be acting illegally.

This is a lot different to a driver who unintentionally exceeds the speed limit by a few km/h for a few hundred metres.

Kippy's comment to the OP (who appears to have problems with the speed limits - otherwise why would he/she be interested in buying this magic spray?) was totally justified. Anyone purposely seeking information on aids to avoid speeding penalties certainly does not give an impression of a responsible law abiding motorist.

The a la carte intrepretation of the speed limits in this country would be laughable if it were not the source of so many tragic accidents. People seem to think of speed limits as guidelines. Speed limits are absolute limits under optimum driving conditions - thats the law, and it must applied evenly.

Inappropriate use of speed is a major factor in accidents resulting in death and serious injury. Many drivers do not have any comprehension of what is an appropriate speed however, hence the need for speed limits - not whatever driver X thinks is a safe speed.

Its not that long ago when the penalty points system was first introduced, and for the first few months, Irish motorists slowed down.
    Read this article, http://www.rte.ie/news/features/roadsafety/publications/MaxillofacialInjuries.pdf
    and then decide whether there is a correlation between excess speed and injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Here we go, the talking-in-absolutes brigade are in...

Advertisement