Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm sleepy

Options
  • 12-11-2006 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Well since the year began, I've found that after school, I cannot do any study at all with-out first having a nap which usually lasts up to about an hour. So i get home from school at about 4.30pm, dinner at 5.00pm and then sleepy-sleep until about ~6.15pm and then homework etc. My day starts at 7.20am (bus is at 7.50am) and lasts until 4.30pm (3.50pm-school finish) - quite a long day tbh. I've tried all sorts of crap (mostly because my Mother doesn't approve of naps) like energy sachets, soluble tablets - basically everything they sell in Evergreen/Pharmacies to do with energy, but to no avail.
    Anyone else taking naps after school? I'm assuming its not common amongst students? Weird thing is, it only started happening this year.

*People might say this should go in the Sleep Disorders Forum BUT I want to see what LC-Students say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

naps are actually quite good for you. They (the scientists) say that. I read some article on some business people taking naps during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Your certainly not alone, me along with a number of mates have to have a nap a few of the days! Before the midterm i was having many a nap until around 6ish like you. But unlike you i don't really nap jus so i've got energy to do my homework:o Didn't go for a nap last week though but i'd say as we head towards Christmas they'd be starting again. Once you don't sleep too much then i don't see a problem with a nap, but if you sleep too long it can affect your sleeping routine and you might not be able to go to sleep that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My day starts somewhere between 7 and half 7, depends on getting lift or bus to school. Im not home till about 5. Its only since the start of 5th year, but more so this year, that I've started sleeping/taking naps. I finish school at half 3, so the bus leaves school at 10 to 4, im asleep on the bus by 4, so thats about 45 mins nap time for me. Helps that I can do it on the bus and dont have to wait till I get home. Happens at least 4 times a week. Can only imagine what its gonna be like when it comes nearer to exams. When I get home, I can get my homework done easily, a little break, a small bit of study, then off to bed before 10 o clock comes around. Im the sort who needs 8 hours sleep minimum, so if I dont get that, sleep might happen on the bus in the morning also:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Naps are indeed good. If you start your day at 8, then chances are you won't be home until perhaps 5 in the evening. 7 of those hours will have been spent in class, enduring barrage after barrage of information. When you get home, you're mental concentration is down massively because your brain is exhausted. If you start studying straight away, once you get in, it will be relatively unproductive.

However, if you take a siesta, your brain has a chance to sort out all the fragments of information that it absorbed. When you wake up, you'll feel refreshed and study should feel that bit more bearable :)

http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/ohe/library/mental/sleep/nap.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I wake at 7, my day doesn't finish until 8 on monday. half 6 on tuesdays and thursdays. 3 or 4 on wednesdays (including hw/study) and 4 on fridays :D

coffee ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I was like that for the whole of September so I decided to get up off my ass and start getting excercise. I feel a lot better after supervised study when I know I'll be going to the gym or doing something, because that way I don't let myself wind down and become exhausted. Fridays however, I tend to pass out for an hour or two because I finish school early. It doesn't help working weekends, but if I nap after school then I miss dinner and generally can't sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Rozabeez wrote:
    I was like that for the whole of September so I decided to get up off my ass and start getting excercise. I feel a lot better after supervised study when I know I'll be going to the gym or doing something, because that way I don't let myself wind down and become exhausted. Fridays however, I tend to pass out for an hour or two because I finish school early. It doesn't help working weekends, but if I nap after school then I miss dinner and generally can't sleep at night.

I thought that might be the problem too since I kinda stopped going to the this Summer. But only 2 weeks ago I started to go again about 3 times a week now, but so far haven't seen much of a difference - still really tired when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Don't worry. College is better! You get lots of free time even free days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Starting tomorrow my day is gonna be 8am - 9pm...

I win...or loose depending how you reason:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I was the exact same; napped every day from around 4.30-6pm during the LC. But its grand if you're productive thereafter. Recharges the aul batteries etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

power naps ftw! but napping for an hour isn't good for you, it shouldn't be more than half an hour

Advertisement