Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 750il (E38), Am I Nuts?

Options
  • 12-11-2006 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Since ive arrived in the states ive been kicking around with different cars to get. Originally I was thinking E36 328is or M3, but the M3 is a lot different over here (60BHP less).\

So i came across the 750il. What a car! 5.4L V12 320BHP and bags of torque.

Ive spent most of today scouring the web (Bimmerboards, e38.org) looking for common issues and so on.

Just wondering if any of you BMW veterans (Im looking at you Unkel, Kdevitt etc) have any experiences, views or comments on this car.

I plan on doing 90% of whatever work it may need to help control costs. My main concern is that the complexity of the engine and electronics may mean it will cost a fortune to keep running if I have problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

you pick up 750's over there for peanuts? I assume the running costs of such a car over there are completely different to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

stevenk wrote:
    you pick up 750's over there for peanuts? I assume the running costs of such a car over there are completely different to here?

Like anything, prices vary. Im looking at one today (sunday) 1995 with 100K on the clock, 6900 USD. Its below book price. Lot of car for the money, if you can look past the age. Easy to do when you listen to a v12 purring away:)

Running costs wise I filled up the tank in my 3L taurus (has the same size tank as my 1.6 passat in dublin) and it cost 26euro on my irish credit card. So fuel wise its tolerable over here. insurance is about 1200dollars a year.

The only problem is that it looks like they have more electronic trickery than my gaff, and thats saying somthing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez that is for nothing..

Would ya not be better going for something a little lighter on the fuel..

735i or 740i?

I sure you could pick up a newer one for a lot less than you think.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Did nikasil effect the e38 v8 engines? Or was it less of an issue in the states?

Meh, arse to fuel consumption!

Im used to paying 60euro to fill a 1.6 passat. I can live with paying 45 dollars to fill a v12! Prices will go up of course but im willing to suffer it for such a car. Its still a while lot more economical that some of the cars over here.

Point taken though paddy, maybe ill try out a 740 and see if I like it. Stil that V12 draws me to the 750 though!

Nikasil did effect some v8's but not the v12's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Don't know much about the V12 to be honest. Think the 740i is meant to be a good option, lighter engine and similar power output. The 750i is a major gas guzzler, but I guess that issue is out of the equation with the price of petrol over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even if the petrol was free, I wouldn't go 750. Apart from even more gizmos it has nothing much over the 740 except that it might cost a fortune if something goes wrong. Do you need an "L" version? Massive space in the back, but it doesn't help driving dynamics, let alone parking
    Nikasil did effect some v8's but not the v12's.

Nikasil was a huge issue in the US on the earlier V8s (M60 engine). Nikasil was not an issue on the later (from '96) V8s (M62 engine). It wasn't an issue on any V12 engine

Have a look here for a wealth of information

I'd recommend a high spec M62 V8. Nappa leather is nice. Front and rear PDC and TV/SatNav are desirable too. Don't worry about high mileage, but have it checked out thoroughly before you buy

Thanks for all the feedback guys.....

Well drove a 750iL today. Meh, slower than I expected, even considering its 2.2 tonne mass! Not mad on the lack of steering feedback, reminded me somewhat of a passat in that regard.

It was in good condition overall though, considering its age. The dash had dead pixels on the LCD so I couldn't verify mileage as I forgot my laptop. Needs some frontend work (Shimmering at 40-50Mph) thrust bushings AFAIK. Tyre wear was even, electronics worked quite well including the stereo. Auto box was in good nick and shifted nicely but fluid hasnt been changed so I would need to do that. BMW say its lifetime, but it seems changing it is worthwhile. Boydwork is excellent, no rust at all. They salt the roads here in winter so that a plus. Hes also throwing in a set of snow tyres.

Took a bit longer to start than I expected, 1-1.5 secs. Apparently this can mean induction or fuel delivery problems.

The owner buys his new car (lexus) on wednesday, so ill let him sweat for the week and see if I can get hold of a BMW expert to give it the once over the weekend after.

He's looking $6000, or just under. Blue book price is 7855 for private sale, fair condition (from kelley blue book: "Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition.)

Overall though, im finding it hard to part with 6K for it for some reason. Its a really nice car and extremly comfprtable, but I really expected more umph in the power department. I guess the best thing to do is drive others and compare notes.
    unkel wrote:
    Even if the petrol was free, I wouldn't go 750. Apart from even more gizmos it has nothing much over the 740 except that it might cost a fortune if something goes wrong. Do you need an "L" version? Massive space in the back, but it doesn't help driving dynamics, let alone parking

I dont need an L, your are right. But they are more common here. Im not sure if there was even a 750i made here. Hemmoraging money to fix things is a big concern for me though. Ill checkout some 740's
    unkel wrote:
    I'd recommend a high spec M62 V8. Nappa leather is nice. Front and rear PDC and TV/SatNav are desirable too. Don't worry about high mileage, but have it checked out thoroughly before you buy

Id love to, but its way out of budget. Im not taking a loan, im just paying cash :)

Well drove a 750iL today. Meh, slower than I expected, even considering its 2.2 tonne mass!

A V8 non-L is only 1.8 tonne. Performance is nearly on a par. Besides, the V12 might have lost some of its glory down the line
    The dash had dead pixels on the LCD

That's a known issue. In fact, that's the only known issue I've come across that affects all E38s. It affects my car. Sometimes the LCD fully works, sometimes it is blurry
    Took a bit longer to start than I expected, 1-1.5 secs. Apparently this can mean induction or fuel delivery problems

Hmm, not too sure about that. The ignition key in my car only needs to be pushed to the right for an instant and then let go off for the engine to start
    He's looking $6000

Here Dublin you could just about get an '96 Golf for that ;)

What year and mileage are you talking about?
    Id love to, but its way out of budget. Im not taking a loan, im just paying cash :)

Now you're confusing me. What is way out of budget? Perhaps you interpreted my suggestion of an M62 V8 as a BMW M6? I meant a BMW E38 735/740 V8 with the later M62 engine

A V8 non-L is only 1.8 tonne. Performance is nearly on a par. Besides, the V12 might have lost some of its glory down the line

Big difference alright. Im looking at a 97 740i tomorrow with 170K on the clock. Its an M62 so that means alusil, off to a good start other than mileage.

Regardless, ill test it and see what the comparative peformance is like. Just looking at my notes here, the 750il I tested today displaed "engine failsafe" after I restarted it to move it further into the garage. I guess this would explain a lack of power.
    That's a known issue. In fact, that's the only known issue I've come across that affects all E38s. It affects my car. Sometimes the LCD fully works, sometimes it is blurry

He has a replcement dash with carbon fibre chrome effect. He looking 250 extra for it. If I buy it, he will end up throwing it in, he just doesnt know it yet! They need to be matched at a dealer appartently. Ill search the usual E38 resources and see whats invloved.

Hmm, not too sure about that. The ignition key in my car only needs to be pushed to the right for an instant and then let go off for the engine to start

Well, it cranked for longer than I expected. Some on bimmerboards remarked that they should start "instantly" Again, I can compare it to the 740 tomorrow, even if they are different.
    Here Dublin you could just about get an '96 Golf for that

What year and mileage are you talking about?

Hehe thats true, although a golf is a lot simpler and less expensive to get replacement parts for.

The E38 I looked at today was a 1995 with about 130K on the clock.
    Now you're confusing me. What is way out of budget? Perhaps you interpreted my suggestion of an M62 V8 as a BMW M6? I meant a BMW E38 735/740 V8 with the later M62 engine

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you ment the next series of 7's

• Advertisement

Im looking at a 97 740i tomorrow with 170K on the clock

Probably fairly easy miles and the V8 is generally considered to be good for 250k without major work

One thing to note is that the cats can go around the 90k-100k miles, so they might be on the way out again. Not cheap

Best of luck with the rest of the hunt and let us know your progress!

Advertisement