Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban religion for gays' sake?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They intrisically shape my life and me,
    why not suggest instead that we abolish all sexuality ?
    For me my beliefs are as much a part of me as my sexuality and I could not live with out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Goodshape wrote:
    No offence intended, but I find that very sad.

Surly your beliefs are the byproduct of your life, not visa-versa.

What are you a nihilist? Take away someones beliefs and what are you left with except dead empty husk of a person.

Ban Gays for the shake of religion I say... No seriously don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I just think it's a bit extreme to say that discovering new answerers to your questions, changing your mind, believing something else, would leave you a 'dead empty husk of a person'.

New evidence comes to light, new ideas are formed and, as a result, new beliefs are held.

As I said, the byproduct of your life and experiences and not visa-versa. To think that you can't give up a belief you currently hold out of fear of losing yourself entirely strikes me is odd.

"How can you not be yourself?", and so forth.

Goodshape wrote:
    I just think it's a bit extreme to say that discovering new answerers to your questions, changing your mind, believing something else, would leave you a 'dead empty husk of a person'.

Sorry I thought we where talking about removing all religion, not replacing all religion with a nice cup of tea. You take their beliefs and leave them with no faith, no hope, no anything but their 9-5 and getting pissed on a friday night.
    As I said, the byproduct of your life and experiences and not visa-versa. To think that you can't give up a belief you currently hold out of fear of losing yourself entirely strikes me is odd.

Certain beliefs are at the core of what someone is, they've built their life around them to a large degree. Just crushing someone core beliefs is brutal. They can't go back or start over. It's like when a child finds out their parents arn't perfect, except worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Listen, listen, listen. Forget about religion (man-made organisation) believe in Christianity, deal with the Man Himself and you will find peace of mind and be happy in your life as a follower of Christ and a happy gay person.

I pick and choose from organised religion and am happy to meet my Maker on these basis when the time comes.

• Advertisement

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Listen, listen, listen. Forget about religion (man-made organisation) believe in Christianity, deal with the Man Himself and you will find peace of mind and be happy in your life as a follower of Christ and a happy gay

I'm not really a big believer in Je'Bus.

LiouVille wrote:
    You take their beliefs and leave them with no faith, no hope, no anything but their 9-5 and getting pissed on a friday night.
    I'd strongly disagree with that. Life is a beautiful thing and I don't need any false hopes of some mystical afterlife to convince me of this.
    LiouVille wrote:
    Certain beliefs are at the core of what someone is, they've built their life around them to a large degree. Just crushing someone core beliefs is brutal. They can't go back or start over. It's like when a child finds out their parents arn't perfect, except worse.
    Like I said, or at least indicated, I feel sorry for those people.

Maintaining a belief regardless of, and inspite of, the facts or simple common sense is a sad state of affairs.

LiouVille wrote:
    I'm not really a big believer in Je'Bus.

Fine with me, but I do hope that you have a believe in something. Life without a believe is not a life.

Goodshape wrote:

Maintaining a belief regardless of, and inspite of, the facts or simple common sense is a sad state of affairs.

Save your sorry for yourself if you have no beliefs. Can you name me anything that is perfect in this life and facts / simple common sense are true?

Goodshape wrote:
    I'd strongly disagree with that. Life is a beautiful thing and I don't need any false hopes of some mystical afterlife to convince me of this.

Ah now here, you may not need it because you see it as that, but others don't see it as false hope, and you're not really in a position to say it's false or fake if it gets people through hard times.

What facts? facts and faith don't go together like. faith is the absense of facts.

Vinnie69: I have no faith or belief system to speak of. I don't require anything bigger than myself.

• Advertisement

I have no faith or belief system to speak of. I don't require anything bigger than myself.

I was going to say I was sorry for you but I think that may seem a "put down" so I will say "sad" (not in a sad person way) but I feel that "self-believe" although a good thing is not enough to get one through life.

I have to go and eat now but I will check back later, in the meantime may your believes go with you :D

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Save your sorry for yourself if you have no beliefs.
    I'm not saying I have no beliefs, just that I try not to hold any in the face of contradictory evidence, or that I deem nonsensical.

Just to preempt an obvious rebuttal : I suppose you could say that what I deem nonsensical would be based on a personal belief of what makes sense, but then belief is a very broad term. I believe that the lights in the night sky are stars and planets in the universe, although I have no actual evidence to prove it, because I have heard convincing arguments that that is the case.

I've heard no convincing arguments that a God or supreme being exists or need exist, or that 'faith' and religion is a requirement for basic human happiness and compassion, and so I'd deem these assumptions and beliefs nonsensical.
    Can you name me anything that is perfect in this life
    Perfection isn't a requirement, although I suspect that life itself - the complete life, not our own personal 80-odd years of living - is as close to perfect as makes no odds.

LiouVille wrote:
    Ah now here, you may not need it because you see it as that, but others don't see it as false hope, and you're not really in a position to say it's false or fake if it gets people through hard times.
    Well, I suppose it's my belief that they are wrong, and that it's unfortunate people should have to turn to superstition in times of need.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good and worthwhile practices in the world of religion (I like to meditate a bit, particularly in times of stress or hardship) but why this has to be tied to a religion and faith is beyond me.
    What facts? facts and faith don't go together like. faith is the absense of facts.
    That was exactly my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Thaedydal wrote:
    They intrisically shape my life and me,
    why not suggest instead that we abolish all sexuality ?
    For me my beliefs are as much a part of me as my sexuality and I could not live with out either.

Yeah but sexuality can be proven - I cum, therefore I am (horny) etc etc

You can't credibly compare beliefs (totally metaphysical) with sexuality (fairly physical)

Nobody can can deny sexuality - though ironically the abrahamic religions have been trying to ban it for a very long time.

Anyone can deny religion in the absence of any proof of God...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

milod wrote:
    Anyone can deny religion in the absence of any proof of God...

I don't have any proof of you (as a person behind a computer screen or whatever), does that mean I can deny your existence, and ignore everything you have to say because I 'believe' you don't exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't have any proof of you (as a person behind a computer screen or whatever), does that mean I can deny your existence, and ignore everything you have to say because I 'believe' you don't exist?

The Matrix has you.

The Matrix has you.

Actually, I don't remember those movies (*think* I saw one of them at some point...).

I'm just a highly paranoid person :D.

I'm just a highly paranoid person :D.

Don't worry about it as you don't exist ! ;)

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Don't worry about it as you don't exist ! ;)

Oh my god, now my computer's against me!! :eek: *rocks back and forth*

Oh my god, now my computer's against me!! :eek: *rocks back and forth*

Not only your computer but the whole world !

Having read some threads on boards, have you never said to yourself "God ! Are these people for real ?" Yea see what I mean ?;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement