Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Website Security

Options
  • 11-11-2006 6:09pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Edit: thread split from the "SERIOUS flaw on the NCT site" thread

On this theme, I find the motor tax website overly secure.
    To get to the page that allows you to enter your tax you need to have entered the car reg along with a PIN. Later you need to enter in the and chassis number.
    The PIN seems to be valid for a few weeks onle (current month?). But is it really necessary?
    It is not as if someone else is going to pay your tax for you is it? The chassis number and reg along should be enough as they will be debiting your laser/credit card also so there is a trail!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I haven't had to enter the chassis number on the motor tax site unless I'm taxing a new car, in which case the PIN is the last 6 digits of the chassis.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im fairly sure I had to enter mine - may be wrong though.
    Still, my point is that the reg and VIN should be enough. A PIN that expires within a few weeks is a bit pointless. Also the PIN I had to use recently was not part my chassis number (which I know by heart!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When you tax a car for the first time, the PIN is the last 6 digits of the chassis. Otherwise it's the PIN that they send you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They should also let you pay arrears online, it's stupid that if your tax goes out of date for more than a month you have to visit the motor tax office.

You can phone them up and ask them to send out a new letter with PIN. This will include any outstanding arrears.
    Still, the system should be able to calculate any arrears without the need for a new PIN, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

kbannon wrote:
    You can phone them up and ask them to send out a new letter with PIN. This will include any outstanding arrears.
    Still, the system should be able to calculate any arrears without the need for a new PIN, etc.

Dont you think this has gone a bit off topic ? maybe someone should start a new thread about the online motor tax system ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

oleras wrote:
    Dont you think this has gone a bit off topic ? maybe someone should start a new thread about the online motor tax system ? :rolleyes:

Or maybe the original issue has pretty much been dealt with and another thread isnt really required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Stekelly wrote:
    Or maybe the original issue has pretty much been dealt with and another thread isnt really required.

If that was the case why not remove the new thread button altogether, as one topic ends lets just add onto it with other stuff.... yes, i can see it working well !! ;)

thread split from the "SERIOUS flaw on the NCT site" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

kbannon wrote:
    The PIN seems to be valid for a few weeks onle (current month?). But is it really necessary?

Of course it is! DUH! Otherwise, I could enter someone elses reg, and get their personal details (from the personal detail "confirmation" page). This would be a serious security issue, especially with road ragers being able to just take down regs, then find out where someone lived!

I thought somone like you wouldn't ask such a stupid question, kbannon.

• Advertisement

There are no stupid questions - just stupid answers!

I was saying that having a PIN that expires is not as useful or user friendly as say having a reg & VIN login. Im not suggesting that they do away with security, merely that it becomes more user friendly.

The PIN only expires in the same month that your tax expires - so unless you're not planning on renewing your motor tax, where's the problem with entering a 4-digit PIN? It'll be valid, as long as you're car is still legally taxed!

I genuinely forgot to renew my tax a few months ago. I contacted them by phone to send out a new one. By the time I received their letter that PIN had expired. I then got an automated reminder which didn't contain the PIN.
    I then called them again and got another letter with PIn which worked.
    Had the system been a little simpler, it would allow you to login with your reg and VIN and then dynamically calculate any tax and arrears - none of this messing around with PINs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

kbannon wrote:
    I was saying that having a PIN that expires is not as useful or user friendly as say having a reg & VIN login. Im not suggesting that they do away with security, merely that it becomes more user friendly.

Having just a reg and vin login would be doing away with all security, seeing as most modern cars have the vin visible at the bottom of the windscreen!

As larry says any twat could then get your personal details....

invest4deepvalue.com

fair enough

kbannon wrote:
    I genuinely forgot to renew my tax a few months ago.

That's not their fault though. The Motor Tax Online system works perfectly fine for people who aren't forgetful - I find it to be a breath of fresh air from the other alternatives, since it's inception. They can't be expected to cater for the lowest common denominator (not that you are, but you get my point).

Advertisement