Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring question

Options
  • 12-11-2006 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i am not going to complicate this by telling you what i am trying to do but....

simplified....

when i switch on point 1 I want power to go to point 1 and point 2 at the same time

but.....

but when i switch on just point 2 i dont want power getting back to point 1

so i need some sort of relay.... but its all 240v

Comments

Two switches in series!! and one outlet between them and one after the second one.

You will need some type of indicator to show circut is live, particually if the device attached after the second switch is potentially hazardous.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

If yon only want to use one switch you can get 240v coil relay whcih will allow you to seperate it out - if you need diagram let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You could do it using a double pole switch at point 1 with each pole switching one point, then if switch 1 is open switch 2 will not backfeed point 1.
    However if this is fixed wiring it won't comply with the Wiring Rules whatever way you do it because point 2 will be controlled by two switches, both of which would have to opened to isolate the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thanks for all your answers guys but i forgot to mention

i cant really use switches, you see the point 1 and point 2 are switched on by thermostats,

i want point 1 and point 2 to come on when point 1 is switched on
    but not point 1 come on when point 2 switches on

the 240v coil relay seems ideal but Hoagy mentioning "wiring rules" is putting me off doing anything, any more info on wiring rules, dont want to upset the insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

If you're doing some sort of automatic heating control system then there isnt' a problem with the Wiring Rules. Presumably there will be an isolator somewhere in the circuit.
    So you need to get a small contactor or relay.
    Stat 1 will operate point 1 and pull in the contactor which operates point 2.
    Stat 2 will operate point 2 directly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement