Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ariving tomorrow :D

Options
  • 12-11-2006 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

All of this lovelyness will arive tomorrow morning. Apart from the graphics card. Which will arive on thursday

CP-128-IN Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail (CP-128-IN)
    £194.99 £194.99
    MB-000-EA EVGA nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-000-EA)
    £179.99 £179.99
    MY-058-GL GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) (MY-058-GL)
    £169.99 £169.99
    GX-095-LT Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-095-LT)
    £314.99 £314.99
    HS-000-SB Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler (HS-000-SB)
    £28.99 £28.99
    CA-065-AN Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming case (CA-065-AN)
    £63.99 £63.99
    MO-052-VS Viewsonic VX2025wm 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver/Black (MO-052-VS)
    £239.99 £239.99
    HD-073-WD Western Digital Raptor X 150GB WD1500AHFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-073-WD)
    £140.99 £140.99
    HD-104-WD Western Digital Caviar RE 250GB 2500YS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-104-WD)
    £49.99 £99.98
    AC-000-AC Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC)
    £5.99 £5.99
    CC-020-HP Highpoint Rocket133 2-Port ATA Host Adapter (CC-020-HP)
    £17.99 £17.99
    FG-008-AK Akasa AK174CB-4BLB 120mm Blue LED Fan (FG-008-AK)
    £7.95 £7.95
    FG-003-DE Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) (FG-003-DE)
    £15.95 £15.95
    CM-006-GE Akasa AK-178-BL 12" Cold Cathode - Blue (CM-006-GE)
    £7.00 £14.00
    CM-003-AK Akasa AK-TK-01 Cable Tidy Kit (CM-003-AK)
    £3.90 £3.90
    CA-030-EN Enermax Galaxy 850W EGA850EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU

Price: 1950£ / 2895€

I was condidering dropping the monitor And getting a GTX instead. But from the benchmarks ive seen there is no point. As in a month or 3 i can order another 8800gts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Bejesus, nice one there. I'd be afraid to spend that much money on pc components in one go. Should be an awesome system. Where are you buying it from, dabs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Overclockers.co.uk They were the only place with evrything i wanted in stock. I was gonna go for the abit board. But tripple sli is to tempting. And by all accounts this board is a animal when it comes to overclocking. The ram i ordered is only temporary As The xtreme team ram i want is currently unavailable. Unless i wanna pay 400€ for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Thought the evga was too good a price for ocuk. The 680i is £179.99 not including VAT, £211 including so bout €316 :eek: :p

Does your total system price include VAT?

:edit: Doh, you're from Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

whats the delta for? Its going to make some noise in that case, I was going to get the 900 myself but it offers zero soundproofing. Its basically a load of fan grills and chicken wire welded together :D

The delta is for the window. to cool the graphics card. As i plan to overclock it straight away. Apparently it is a veryquiet case. As the tri cool fans that come with it are all adjustable ( 3 way 2000/1500/1200rpm ) Or i might just use the delta in the tuniq. Was gonan use the blue akasa to make it look a bit nice. Just did some checking too. And the galaxy psu will just fit at the bottom of the case. But will almost make the bottom drive cage unuseable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Nice one. PSU is overkill though, even for sli. Also there are 2 caps on back of that mobo which interfere slightly with the Tuniq backplate. You really need to stick it on tight or hollow out the points in the backplate. Also sli on that board doesn't work properly, so you are right to wait. Onboard and creative cards crackle big time with sli enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Flaccus wrote:
    Nice one. PSU is overkill though, even for sli.

thats funny i was gona say he was limiting himself from sli with the psu

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Flaccus wrote:
    Nice one. PSU is overkill though, even for sli. Also there are 2 caps on back of that mobo which interfere slightly with the Tuniq backplate. You really need to stick it on tight or hollow out the points in the backplate. Also sli on that board doesn't work properly, so you are right to wait. Onboard and creative cards crackle big time with sli enabled.

Didnt that come about in high end sli/crossfire rigs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok people you gota think the new gtx's only use what is it 5% more power then the x1950xt.its not like 50% .boooo

I will also be running up to 9 hdds :) So i need as much power as possible. Im still not 100% happy with the case. The cooling is good, but the internal design is crappy :/

Also no room for the watercooling, Ill have to mound the rad externaly. Or i could just buy a waterchiller i suppose. That way i can ensure the water going through the loop is 10C constantly

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    Didnt that come about in high end sli/crossfire rigs before.

Yep..the problem was to do with latencies on the pci slot. But this problem is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. The interference is SO BAD you cannot play games at all. If you are not going SLI it sounds like a good board still at least from an overclocking perspective. But for me having no usable sound with sli is a major disaster. I suppose you could buy a pair of usb headphones with integrated amp.

anti wrote:
    I will also be running up to 9 hdds :) So i need as much power as possible. Im still not 100% happy with the case. The cooling is good, but the internal design is crappy :/

Also no room for the watercooling, Ill have to mound the rad externaly. Or i could just buy a waterchiller i suppose. That way i can ensure the water going through the loop is 10C constantly

Ah...I see. Sound like the 1kw is the job then.

I stuck with the Akasa Eclipse myself in the end...as I know 100% it will fit a gtx and is pretty unbeatable for cooling. Just going to be running the video card, soundcard, 1 hard drive and 1 optical so the 700w I have is even overkill, but quiet and really modular. Will post pics when I get build finished.

Going for ultimate air cooling but quiet. 4 120mm fans alogether, 5 if you count the 120mm fan in the Tuniq which will be hooked into a pci fan controller bracket in front of Eclipse case.

Plan is to try and create a windtunnel effect for the cpu. 1 will have a single 120mm fan placed inside a Kama Bay cooler *like a CM 4in3 drive module* and it will blow directly onto the tuniq tower. The fan will be mobo controlled between 700rpm and 1200rpm to keep noise down. I will have a rear 120mm exhaust fan pulling air off the Tuniq and exhausting out the back. Will leave this at a constant 1200rpm (hard to hear as case under desk). For the hard drive cooling I will have another 120mm fan (also mobo controlled), and for the 8800gtx I will have a side panel 120mm fan. This one will be the quieter 850rpm variety. This should keep things cool and quiet. Right now I am running on an Intel Bad Axe with only 3 of these fans, and at stock speeds Core Temp is showing both cores idling at 31 degrees...not bad. Have yet to see over 55 on Orthos.

What oc are you running ? 3.2ghz ? If so thats running very cool. Im hoping for great temps. especially with this 200mm fan. At full speed it will extract 178cfm. So im considering adding two deltas to the front of the case to bring alot of air in. But then the noise will be unbareable.

Overclocking right now to 3.6ghz....has yet to go over 55 degrees with current setup. According to Core Temp, although the Intel Desktop Utils shows it around 57.

Thats not bad at all. If you lap you should be able to drop temps by a few C under load. Im thinking of taking my hsf and chip to a mates engineering company, And getting 10 tho lapped of each to get a perfect surface. Hes not sure how th cleaning acid will work with copper though, As he only does aluminium. So im gonna give him a old copper hsf to see if it over corrodes it.

Thanks.

Let us know how you get on.

Thing is, I could get lower temps but at 55 degrees my front fans are only running at 1000rpm, rear at 1200rpm, side at 850rpm, and cpu fan at 1200rpm. Trying to balance a quiet system with reasonable performance.

Will be sticking with the Bad Axe for a while now until more vendors bring out their 680i solutions.

Have some high spec 8800 memory on the way to replace my Gskill 6400 HZ too :)

would yo selll the ram ? and for how much ?

Already have...sorry. presold it to a mate rather then on adverts. running it right now till dominator memory arrives this week (I hope). Other pair of 6400HZ I sold on adverts during week.

oh well. Im searching ebay for the gold plated dominator 8000. They were prizes, but are believed to be made using hand picked single chips. and a thicker pcb. Their meant to be amazing for overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

anti wrote:
    Or i might just use the delta in the tuniq.

Not going to happen lad :D The space for the 12cm in the Tuniq is 25mm wide, that delta you got is 38mm wide, unless you plan on modding the Tuniq with a dremel, or pull tying it to the outside of it, it won't fit.

I was going to get a delta myself, but I was going to attach them to a scythe inifinity (probably would of been a better choice for you with the spare delta) which you can mount up to 4x12cm fans on the outside of.

P.S i've got some of those tri-cool fans in my antec fusion and p180... they aren't THAT silent. They are only good if the case itself has noise dampening which the 900 doesn't. Still it will be a beast for cooling. I'd use the delta as a front intake though, feeding directly into the Tuniq. Although, it will be shoveling some amount of dust with no filters in the front panels.

• Advertisement

Yeah i was thinking that, Dosent help i smoke in here too. But if i remember correctly there are dust filters inside the case behind the fans....i hope.

Im dissapointed about the tuniq now :/ still looks like ill use cable ties. i have another delta here which i can use to pull air in :D

Just ran 2 hours of Orthos at 3.6ghz....cpu maxed out just under 62 degrees according to CoreTemp. Very happy with that because I only had my cpu fan, hd intake fan, and exhaust fan running at a relatively quiet 1200rpm, plus I am going to be replacing the Ninja with a Tuniq on Tuesday (which spools up to 2k rpm manually if I want but I hear under 1600rpm is optiimal balance for quiteness and cooling), and adding another 1200rpm intake in a Scythe Kama bay. Should drop it a few degrees. What I like a lot about this Bad Axe mobo is the way it intelligently controls the fans according to CoreTemp and not say PSU power usage or some other crap. And it spins the fans right down. Does a very nice job of it too, as it's all gradual. Left the side fan on a fixed 850rpm to cool the gpu (7950 - still waiting on G80). At 600/1600 it's idling in the mid 50's which is decent for a GX2 I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What res is that 20" LCD??? Id have thought the 8800 would be a complete waste on that... and adding a second one would be insane!! I was using a X1900xtx on my 24" dell in it ran everything maxed out no probs.. If i was getting a 8800 the least id want is a 24"... pref 25-30" tho....

Amazed as to why u spent nearly £100 more on ur GFX card when u could have spent it on a bigger screen...

1680x1050 on the 20"

On a 24" at 1920x1200 the only card to run Oblivion maxed out on all settings with good framrates is the 8800GTX. And other games you can run at 1920 with 16x AA and get excellent framerates for the most part. So I guess for a 20" screen, the 8800GTS would have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Has it ever occured to you that once you start hitting resolutions above 1600*1280 the need for high AA and Af becomes negligable. Just a thought.

Ps, want to make this clear, I know you love your hardware Flaccus so you are always the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

A high resolution may reduce the need for AA, but at 1600x1200, I can still spot the difference between 2xAA and 4xAA.
    You still need AF to scale textures into the distance smoothly, high resolutions don't help.

krazy_8s wrote:
    Has it ever occured to you that once you start hitting resolutions above 1600*1280 the need for high AA and Af becomes negligable. Just a thought.

Ps, want to make this clear, I know you love your hardware Flaccus so you are always the exception to the rule.

Don't agree....I can see jaggies at 1900x1200. They only become not so noticable at 2560x1600. It's all subjective. And high levels of AF are always needed I think..at least for stuff in the distance.

I dont need high aa and af, Not something in interested in. I only play very fast games. So i dont get the chance to stand around looking at pretty things. I was gonna go for a 19, but a 20.1" widescreen is mainly for my 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

and soon to be wii:D

• Advertisement

I dunno. I find nintendos to childish for me. Gre out of them when the 32x came along.

Advertisement