Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 forty somethings going to Austria to Ski for the first time - what to bring!

Options
  • 12-11-2006 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, 6 forty somethings off to Austria, Bad Gastein to ski for the first time in January. Can anyone advise what is needed and where to get the ski clothing - not too expensive as not sure how often we will use it. Also what do people wear apres ski ? Is it a dressy affair? Thanks a million!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

For skiing:
    - Ski trousers
    - Ski jacket
    - Ski gloves,
    - goggles (sunglasses will probably be ok here - not too dark though)
    - thick socks (football socks or the like) - at least 2 pairs
    - A fleece or heavyish jumper
    - warm underwear - i wear leggings (longjohn type things) and a t-shirt or poloneck under the fleece. If it's really warm you mightn't need the fleece.
    - hat

Other:
    - lots of money

For the evenings:
    It's cold so you'll need shirt/t-shirt, jumper and a heavy jacket in the evenings (the skijacket is good if you want to save on luggage space). Jeans (trousers might be ok but could be a bit light) and a pair of shoes with some sort of grip. Most streets will be clear but there are likely to be icy snowy patches so shoes with a bit of grip are good.

Arnotts or TK maxx in dublin is good for skistuff. There's also an outdoor shop on talbot street that are ok for some stuff. I'd suggest getting at least the jacket and trousers in ireland. From what i've seen they are a littele cheaper there as I find the sports shops in Austria quite expensive (plus they'll generally have most of the in stuff and it's pricey). Gloves and goggles can be bought in either place imo.

I wouldn't say it's overly dressed up in the evenings but then if you're in a fancy hotel or something then it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

6 snowboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cbb16

Imposter wrote:
    For skiing:
    - Ski trousers
    - Ski jacket
    - Ski gloves,
    - goggles (sunglasses will probably be ok here - not too dark though)
    - thick socks (football socks or the like) - at least 2 pairs
    - A fleece or heavyish jumper
    - warm underwear - i wear leggings (longjohn type things) and a t-shirt or poloneck under the fleece. If it's really warm you mightn't need the fleece.
    - hat

Other:
    - lots of money

For the evenings:
    It's cold so you'll need shirt/t-shirt, jumper and a heavy jacket in the evenings (the skijacket is good if you want to save on luggage space). Jeans (trousers might be ok but could be a bit light) and a pair of shoes with some sort of grip. Most streets will be clear but there are likely to be icy snowy patches so shoes with a bit of grip are good.

Arnotts or TK maxx in dublin is good for skistuff. There's also an outdoor shop on talbot street that are ok for some stuff. I'd suggest getting at least the jacket and trousers in ireland. From what i've seen they are a littele cheaper there as I find the sports shops in Austria quite expensive (plus they'll generally have most of the in stuff and it's pricey). Gloves and goggles can be bought in either place imo.

I wouldn't say it's overly dressed up in the evenings but then if you're in a fancy hotel or something then it might be.
    Thanks a million, great advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

shagman wrote:
    6 snowboards.

ROTFLMFAO

:D

Advertisement