Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Validation Badges

Options
  • 12-11-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I was just reading on another forum about validation badges on sites, I was slightly surprised at the negative response to them to be honest. Most of the opinions where that they:

1) take up too much space!?
    2) Users don't understand what they are anyway so why bother...?

I put the logos on all sites unless clients request they not be there (no one ever has). Mostly my clients are small business and as others have said they generally don't know what they are but in my experience spending the time explaining to them why you have placed them there and that they are a sign of quality persuades them of their usefulness. Also, they are a useful tool for the client to enable them to check the quality of their site on going.

I view validation as selling point, it shows I produce good work and in turn shows thier clients that they operate with standards. I think its our responsibility to spread the word also.

Whats the general vibe about there amongst Irish designers/developers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I generally either add it as a text link at the bottom of the page or else create a small image that goes with the design of the website. I don't like the w3c logos as I think they stick out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Standards are important and are ignored by too many Irish "design" companies.

There is a major thing going on at the moment about the lack of design standards in the industry and in particular the Golden Spiders. Take a look at Red Cardinal.

I agree that the W3C logos are a bit big and harsh, so what I use is a smaller faded down version in the footer.

Typical example - http://www.parttwocharters.com/

One or two clients have asked what they mean. When I tell 'em, they are more than delighted to keep them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

it reinforces trust and confidence in clients when they do it... even when i was doing voluntary stuff.

When I told them to click it and it came up in Red Bold writing: Your website conforms to blah blah...
    ...the clients were delighted that they cud show off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Yes, making your own logos is certainly better but I understood that couldn't be changed under the terms of service, maybe I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Hmmm, I actually was not aware of that.

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/logo-usage-20000308.html

They make a good point and allow the use of a logo as long as it does not reduce the visibility or impact of the W3C logo itself.

Guess I have some work to do tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

If they want their logos used and their message spread then they need to respect the fact that their badges will be changed in order to fit in with the design of each site that they're used on. If not then good luck; I'll leave them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I think is better to be left the way they are. It's a like a BMW badge, one look and you know what is all about.

Yeah but they can make nicely designed sites look s**tty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I have seen websites using them faded (50/50).
    doesn't look that bad.
    or make them smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm sure most visitors aren't interested in whether the page validates or not, so I won't clutter the page with rubbish nobody cares about.
    I usually don't include any validation links or images... I validate it myself, then once I know it's all peachy; I upload... and re-validate after major changes.
    If anyone cares enough to check that it's valid html, they can check it themselves and see.
    If the valid html is a benefit to anyone, then I'm sure they'll recieve that benefit without having to run the page through a validator I've linked to.
    I see it as either pointless webmaster cock-waving at the expense of tidiness... or W3C fanboyism/evangelism... neither of which I'm interested in.
    If anyone has a good reason to add these links/buttons besides trying to impress your client with a badge, I may reconsider.
    Anyway, isn't it true that you can have a page that validates yet still has rubbish accessibility?

• Advertisement

If the valid html is a benefit to anyone, then I'm sure they'll recieve that benefit without having to run the page through a validator I've linked to.
    I see it as either pointless webmaster cock-waving at the expense of tidiness... or W3C fanboyism/evangelism... neither of which I'm interested in.

Although I generally don't stick them on my sites, if they help raise awareness of standards and accessibility, then I'm all for it.

Sadly though, there are a large number of 'web designers' who flaunt these badges on their 'sites' without even really knowing what they mean. Let alone being able to comply fully with the requirements supposed for having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I think that all sites should be built to these set out standards! I always put time aside to make sure the site passes these strict tests.

On another note i have heard of people putting the links on sites that dont pass the standards required! Has anyone else seen this???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Ziycon wrote:
    I think that all sites should be built to these set out standards! I always put time aside to make sure the site passes these strict tests.

On another note i have heard of people putting the links on sites that dont pass the standards required! Has anyone else seen this???

Yes! Thats mainly down to kids in their bedrooms with an internet connection and about a fingernails worth of experience in the web.

HOWEVER I believe 7 out of 8 companies nominated for best agency in this years golden spiders, own sites don't validate - yet they advertise this service. Makes me sick. Talking standards? more like double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Good article on why badges aren't enough:
    http://www.iqcontent.com/publications/features/article_60/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

TheGooner wrote:
    HOWEVER I believe 7 out of 8 companies nominated for best agency in this years golden spiders, own sites don't validate - yet they advertise this service. Makes me sick. Talking standards? more like double standards.

I fully agree here. There was/is an interesting discussion over here:
    http://www.redcardinal.ie/webdev/02-11-2006/w3c-standards-complaint-website/

I wont go off on a rant here about that. I think it's out of my system at this stage. Typical Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I always validate my sites to as high a standard as possible
    and always display it on every page. I have never had a
    problem with anybody saying they don't want it on their site.
    Although in saying that I do always keep it in small enough text
    at the bottom of each page.

Advertisement