Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed trap at M50 Roadworks

Options
  • 12-11-2006 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

This morning, I was heading out to the airport, I was doing bout 75 (along with everyone else!!) in the 60km/h zone where the roadworks are. I was in the inside lane, the car infront jammed on their brakes when they saw the white van, I jammed on too! there were cars still passing us by in the outer lane, so I'm just wondering if the cameras in those vans are focused on the inside or outer lane or both??

What are the chances that I was caught?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

If you ask me those cameras are going to cause an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ItsJusMe

Jacob55 wrote:
    This morning, I was heading out to the airport, I was doing bout 75 (along with everyone else!!) in the 60km/h zone where the roadworks are. I was in the inside lane, the car infront jammed on their brakes when they saw the white van, I jammed on too! there were cars still passing us by in the outer lane, so I'm just wondering if the cameras in those vans are focused on the inside or outer lane or both??

What are the chances that I was caught?

Those Gatso van cameras are focused on both lanes. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Chances are high. wait for the letter in the post. This is "Shooting fish in a barrel"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the 60 limit even legal, anyone check with South Dublin CC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i find the best thing to do in these situations is stay within the speed limit.although at 60km its hard to do.but i find it funney when doing 60km and everyone behind is going mad.but at least thats the limit i hate the gobsh1tes that do 55km in a 100km zone they should be shot.as for the speed its all about how quick u jammed on the brakes :)

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Is the 60 limit even legal, anyone check with South Dublin CC?

Someone challenged it's legality about two months ago and yea,, it's legal...

That's why they put up signs beside the 60kph ones three weeks ago stating

"Garda Enforced"... That basically covers them from a legal point. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Car Mad wrote:
    .but i find it funney when doing 60km and everyone behind is going mad.)

Entertains me greatly as well. Surprising the huge proportion of the driving population that get annoyed - because you wont break the law to allow them to.

Great when the overtaking lane is full and there is a long stream behind you and a clear lane a head of you. Really drives them nuts.
    For further diversion try to see how many keep flashing their lights and how many give up. One guy kept flashing me for over a km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ItsJusMe wrote:
    Someone challenged it's legality about two months ago and yea,, it's legal...

That's why they put up signs beside the 60kph ones three weeks ago stating

"Garda Enforced"... That basically covers them from a legal point. . . .
    The contractors put garda enforced on some speedlimits for roadworks in Waterford and the Gardai told them to take them down as they were not legal limits at all. :D

Bond-007 wrote:
    The contractors put garda enforced on some speedlimits for roadworks in Waterford and the Gardai told them to take them down as they were not legal limits at all. :D

That may have happend in that case,, but i drive for a living and know for

sure that the m50 signs were put up on the instruction of the Garda only

after the legality of the limit was challenged in Bray court. . . . :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There was a bit of a wobbly thrown a few weeks back when some august body publiched a report which basically found that "Temporary Speed Limits" at major road works were not being observed by the motoring populace at large....

When the report was presented to the Minister he was heard to exclaim...."Well I never !!..." followed by "Humphrey !! Get Me Noel Conroy on the red phone....NOW !".

The result is what we now see along the Via Delorosa....aka the M50.
    Several months after the commencement of Civil Engineering hostilities the great agencies of State now shamble along to enforce the unenforcable.

Whilst the 60Kph limit is largely observed during Peak Times (!!) it is equally ignored at the off peak,especially when work is not being carried out,which is at least 16 hrs out of 24.

Over on the Mainland they recognized this sort of thing some time ago...(1990 I think) and introduced VARIABLE speed limits which can be remotely set to take account of such variables as Weather conditions,traffic flow etc..(Mechanically signed at first but now using ELECTRIC signage !!).

However since failing to adequately drain the Shannon,we have decided NOT to follow this Imperialist use of Technology so instead we resort to a celtic fusion of Folklore and sometimes pure nonsense..hence the "Garda Enforced" placards.

It is also believed Minister Cullen was concerned at the increasing levels of carbon emissions which such electric signage would entail.
    There is apparently now an urgent need for a fact finding mission to Kyoto in order to locate a copy of the mysterious "Protocol" written in the first official language so as to make it legal in the Irish context..

So there ye have it.."Now Monica...do Ryanair fly to Japn yet ?? " :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

fletch wrote:
    If you ask me those cameras are going to cause an accident!
    Surely it's the drivers who will cause the accidents and not the cameras. If I try and round a bend at 100Kmph on a country road and I end up inside the ditch I can hardly blame it on the bend being there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

FX Meister wrote:
    Surely it's the drivers who will cause the accidents and not the cameras. If I try and round a bend at 100Kmph on a country road and I end up inside the ditch I can hardly blame it on the bend being there?
    Maybe....but in general even if people are obeying the speed limit and they happen across a speed camera, a lot of drivers still slam on...all it takes is for the person beyond not to be paying attention and you have a nice pile up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Gatsos in Ireland can only work on one lane at a time. I suspect this is generally the outside lane.

They also need a clear line of vision to take your plates. This is not particularly easy considering how low they are mounted (in comparison to fixed cameras), and the density of traffic.

There is also a time delay between recording one incident and another. If two cars are close, you will sail through.

So I was told. By a garda. He may or may not have been spreading malicious rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Sandwich wrote:
    Entertains me greatly as well. Surprising the huge proportion of the driving population that get annoyed - because you wont break the law to allow them to.

Great when the overtaking lane is full and there is a long stream behind you and a clear lane a head of you. Really drives them nuts.
    For further diversion try to see how many keep flashing their lights and how many give up. One guy kept flashing me for over a km.

ur evil lol.if the overtaking lane is full and uv a clear road ahead and there stuck behind you,you can start mocking them when there flashing i done this once.i opened down the window and started making the signal for him to overtake(knowing full well he couldnt):D he went nuts started beebing and everything.honestly this country and road rage:eek: I was told once your going the legal limit and there cars want to pass you out tuf if they want to break the law they can.still not everyone minds going the proper speed limit:rolleyes:
    An even better one is to slow down when they start flashing :)
    You think people would cop on that the van is always on the m50 by now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is already an M50 roadworks thread
    M50 speed limit
    Im going to close this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement