Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speak up for Limerick

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

We really should have this conversation over a pint! :)

No problem with meeting you for a pint (or two;) ) man, but I'm sure that we could all find something more interesting to talk about.

With that Google Fight thing, I was just pointing out, that there is less than twice as many hits on Google, referring to Dublin Crime in the news, than there are with Limerick crime in the news.
    Maybe you can't see this but a lot of people in Limerick are (overly?)sensitive about it so we just tend to notice it I suppose.
    As a few people here have mentioned, what's probably the worst feeling is when people from the other side of the world react differently or derisively to us when they hear that we're from Limerick.
    You obviously wouldn't be a party to this so you probably don't realise how often this happens.
    Then nearly everyone who reacts this way, tells us that it's either because of things read in the Irish media, or things told to them by other Irish, who read it in the Irish media.
    I agree that we probably do harp on about it a lot, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a problem in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

iguana wrote:
    Not a bad idea, the Sun really suffered in Liverpool after the bull it published after the Hillsborough disaster.

What the hell is a blaa?

Sorry, must have missed this before.

It's amazing to think how much that has effected sales of The Sun in Liverpool.
    Sales died from around 200,000 copies a day to nothing, practically over night, and even now are only at about 12,000 daily.
    Thing is though, The Sun has never apologised for that, even now almost 18 years later, even though the Liverpool fans make sure that it's still kept in the public eye every year with "Truth Day".
    I suppose that it goes to show, that even this drastic action won't change the way these "journalists" work.
    I mean, The Sun is still a pile o' p*ss after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Well lads
    My point was made about the media treatment of Limerick, now if something good happens in Limerick would we (the generial public)know about it i guess not!!.Limerick the city has to throw away this stigma that has been attached to her, you as citizen's and your councilors have to work hard at promotiong the best aspect of your city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I like your posts, L&P, and you're more than welcome to that pint at any stage - so please don't take this post as argumentative - I just want to point something out.

When I posted about Armagh, I wasn't having a go, but I realise that it could be read as if I was....you then defended Armagh (and rightly so), realising its faults but pointing out that it is no worse than other places; I don't know that for a fact (but I had suspected it, even when that idiot shot his mouth off), and I'll definitely bow to your superior knowledge since you say you are familiar with it.

The impulse that made you post to defend Armagh against any perceived unwarranted criticism is EXACTLY how Limerick people feel on a regular basis.

So that's all that we want - what you wanted when you read something and felt the need to make the point that you did.

The differences are that (1) my post, in context, wasn't meant to have a go and (2) I have no problem clarifying that.

If the "news" papers and their correspondents did likewise when they were corrected/questioned, we'd have no problem and we wouldn't have a need for this thread.

Advertisement