Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Elec Folding Mirrors

Options
  • 12-11-2006 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

To any auto electricans out there,

How do I get my elec mirrors to fold in when I set my alarm? A friend had it on his car, but it since been sold so I cant copy it.

So any bright sparkys know how to do this?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

depending on the central locking pulse you need few relays to make the right polarity, power the mirrors for 20-30 seconds, and make the connection to the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Can you sketch a wiring diagram?

Not really. every car has a different electrical system. You have to check the wiring first and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Make/model?

1998 Toyota Hilux Surf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My mirrors fold in and out when I put my alarm on or off. I'm afraid I have no idea how it is done as I had the alarm professionally installed by an auto spark. I presume it works in conjunction with the alarm and central locking. I have a 2003 Toyota Avensis so it may be a similar systme on the Hilux.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

I have a mitsubishi fto and modded the elec folding mirrors to automatically fold when i turned on the alarm

Simple enough job

Equipment required: - Multimeter (or 12v bulb) - 2 small 12v relays - nothing special single pole / single throw will do - A soldering iron (+ solder) - Small knife - Insulation tape - Small gauge multi strand wire - eg car speaker wire. Determine where the central locking control unit is in the driver side footwell by un / locking the door a bit. 2) Using a Multimeter (or a 12v bulb) track down the two wires that trigger the central locking, measure where the plug goes in. These are at +12v until the pulse is send to the central locking when it drops to 0v. 3) On each of these wires scrape a small amount of the wire bare and solder on a length of insulated wire, cover join with insulation tape. 4) Gently slider the mirror switch panel out and turn around. Disconnect the big connector. Remove a small plastic cover from above the connector to expose a test connector. Solder two wires to the 2 left most pins, poke in the hole and retrieve at the footwell end (one is mirror open and one is mirror close). Replace panel. 5) Wire up both relays with the following: 1 side of actuator coil: +12v permanent Other side of coil to length of insulated wire 1 side of relay contacts to +12 perm Other side of contacts to length of insulated wire. 6) Connect the loose coil wire to the output from the remote locking unit (for both relays - one for each output). 7) Operate the central locking to make sure the new relays operate with the central locking. Connect the loose wire from the relay to one of the wires from the mirror panel, repeat for other relay and panel wire. 9) Test by locking / unlocking central locking - you may have open close the wrong way round - just swap the wires. Ensure all bare wires are covered with insulation tape and the relays are fixed out of the way. It is good practice to disconnect the car battery when doing such work.

Hopefully this gives you an idea, I'm sure it's different on your Hilux but the basics are the same.

To be honest I've since disconnected the wiring mod as The motors on the mirror are really life limited and I've gone thru 2 motors on each.

P.S. I'm not an auto electrician, Im an Avionics Engineer so maybe someone may know of an easier method or a pre-wired kit you could buy.

Wow, Great post Electro!!!
    I will read it again a few time and dig out the tools.

Hopefully by following your instructions, I can get mine to work.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

best of luck! don't forget your thinking cap, and loads of coffee

and make sure you use in-line fuses.
    Sometimes the central locking is negative pulse and the mirrors works on positive so you have to make sure you get the right polarity to the mirrors otherwise you get you car in flames.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

JHMEG wrote:
    Make/model?

And make/model of alarm?

My Sigma M4 alarm gives a -ve output on alarm arm/disarm. The folding mirror relay on my Integra (under the passenger side dash) is -ve triggered (regarless of whether the ignition is on or off).

The alarm is a Sikura SA Series

Advertisement