Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In house for 6mnts a year - which product?

Options
  • 12-11-2006 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,
    In only in this house for about 6 months every year (I'm away for 1 month at Christmas, 1 month around Easter, and 4 months during the summer). I am a moderate internet user during the time I am in this house. My two-monthly phone bill for dial-up internet is around Eur 50-70 while I am in the house.
    Any basic broadband product would be fine for me if I was in the house all-year round - at least Eur 50 for two months means at least Eur 25 per month, so I could get always-on broadband for about the same price I am paying for dial-up. The problem is I am only in the house for 6 months a year, so I would really be paying twice as much for every month if I had a flat-rate product like always-on broadband.

My question is: What do people think would be the best internet access product for me?

I want to use the internet only during off-peak hours. I only want to use it for about 1 hour a day on average. I do not need speed - I am perfectly happy with the speed of dial-up. If there was a possibility of putting the product on 'hold' while I was away that would solve my problem.

At the moment the best solutions seem to be: continue using pay-as-you=go dial-up, a flat-rate dial-up product (eg. 30 hours per month for Eur 9.99 from BT - it would just about cover my needs, so it would be ~Eur 20 for two months, but in reality ~Eur 40 for two months as I would only use it for 6 months a year, which is a bit cheaper than currently), or Imagine's Eur 9.99 per month broadband.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

fluppet wrote:
    At the moment the best solutions seem to be: continue using pay-as-you=go dial-up, a flat-rate dial-up product (eg. 30 hours per month for Eur 9.99 from BT
    How about BTs line rental and 1MB broadband bundle (Broadband and Talk) for €35? Always on broadband for less than €11 more than your line rental (which you're paying anyway, I presume?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Thanks, that sounds pretty good... line rental is around Eur 24 per month with Eircom, isn't it? So as you said I would just be paying Eur 11 per month for always on broadband. Eur 22 for two months, or Eur 44 for two months in my case (because of the 6 months thing). I like it :)

They don't seem to offer much information on their website about it... Just to clarify: this Eur 35 isn't just some starting thing, like for the first three months or something... it will be Eur 35 for the whole time? Are there any other charges? They say 'Starting From Eur 35'...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nope. €35 is the full normal price. It's not an introductory offer or anything like that.

Advertisement