Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb & wireless router problem!

Options
  • 12-11-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I got Digiweb Metro installed there the other day, and when I stick the cable in the back of my laptop, it works a charm. However, when I stick it in the back of my Linksys WRT54G Wireless router, I run into some trouble. In my old gaff I ran Irish Broadband off the router with no bother, and vaguely remember typing in some TCP.IP settings when I was setting it all up. To avoid any problems, I reset my router using the master reset button on the back before I began all this.

Now, I can set up the network connection, i.e. get my computer to talk to the router, no problem. Green bars in the system tray, no problem. I can even access the router administration page from my web browser. Looking at my network connection page, I can see it's labelled "Connected". When I try and connect to the internet with my browser, though, no luck. Tried fiddling round with the connection settings in the browser, don't think it's them. Made triple-sure that the TCP/IP settings are enabled in the Properties window for the connection, and have it set to acquire an IP and DNS server address automatically. DCHP is enables, and the "Automatic Metric" box is ticked at the bottom of my screen. To make sure it's not just the browser, I can ping the IP address of the router no problem from the CMD window, but when I try to ping a website, again, no luck. Quite frustrated, as the internet cable is in a really akward part of the house - was banking on using the router for comfort browsing! Anyone help?

(just after sticking the internet cable in the back of my computer now, and it says Local Area Network Connected, and is working fine. Argh! :confused: )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

If your laptop wasn't configured properly, you wouldn't be able to talk to the router. So why are you wasting your time checking the settings on the laptop - it's obviously the settings on the router that you need to change to get everything working.

Is the Linksys configured to get an address automatically? Make a note of your IP address and DNS settings when you're connected directly to the broadband connection and then see if the WAN settings on the Linksys bear any resemblance to those settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

I thought the router was configured to get one directly, at least that's what I had enabled in the TCP/IP properties for that connection. (New to this computer wizardry, I'm afraid!). I used the winipconfig command to get the IP address when connected to the LAN and then changed the primary IP setting in the router admin page to reflect that, but no joy.

Thanks for the reply though - any other suggestions? You'll have to be specific re: what I must do, though, like I said, technically retarded! Thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I thought the router was configured to get one directly, at least that's what I had enabled in the TCP/IP properties for that connection. (New to this computer wizardry, I'm afraid!). I used the winipconfig command to get the IP address when connected to the LAN and then changed the primary IP setting in the router admin page to reflect that, but no joy.
    No, you don't want to set a specific address on the router, unless Digiweb told you to.
    Thanks for the reply though - any other suggestions? You'll have to be specific re: what I must do, though,
    If your laptop works just by doing a DHCP request, then set the router to Automatic configuration - DHCP, and it should work too.

cheers, mate, PMed you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Digiweb have fixed ip address if you request it but it is supplied via DHCP. They also mac address lock so make sure that the router's wan interface mac address is on Digiwebs allowed list for you as if it's not it shouldn't give you an address.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Re the MAC address how do I go about that? Have DHCP enabled but still no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

You need to call digiweb's helpdesk and tell them the mac addy of the wan port, now I only found this out the other day, if you plug another device into the thomson modem it gets confused, so before direct connecting to the thomson with a different device other than your router, make sure to cycle the power on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I got Digiweb Metro installed there the other day, and when I stick the cable in the back of my laptop, it works a charm. However, when I stick it in the back of my Linksys WRT54G Wireless router, I run into some trouble

You realise that to do this you need to power cycle the DigiWeb modem? It picks for the MAC address when it first boots so if you swap the device that is connected you need to reboot it.

I've done this loads but have never needed to call the help desk to get MAC addresses registered or anything like that.

See here for more
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003354&p=52221439

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ok what you need to do is the following:

Sort out the lan side of the router i.e. laptop and wrtg54(This should have bugger all to do with the net connection really).
    Connect the wan port of the router to the ethernet port on the thompson.
    Power cycle the thompson so that the connection ties to the mac addy of the router.
    Enjoy the magicks of intorweb!

Advertisement