Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Bridge Road - Recycling Facility Closure

Options
  • 12-11-2006 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why this has closed?

I know there is one on Pigeon House Road but this was awful handy (walking distance) and a lot less busy ...

/slight rant:
    I hate the way people sit in their cars queueing for the recycling at the Pigeon House facility whilst pouring fumes outta their cars ...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Social and affordable houses being built on this land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Its going to be replaced by as many single mothers as you can pack into 24 'Social' (the nice new word for Council) Housing Apartments. (no affordable on this site - just free houses for people from 'the community' - see here)

Because clearly Irishtown needs more single mothers, as at present they only account for 85.5% of the population.

A nice detail is that the Council have provided Parking for 8 - count 'em - 8 cars for 24 apartments. Londonbridge Road will now be even more of a bottleneck as it will have 16 micras with Celtic flags/alloys/fluffy dice parked erratically on it at any given time.

Rant over, move along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

magpie wrote:
    Its going to be replaced by as many single mothers as you can pack into 24 'Social' (the nice new word for Council) Housing Apartments.

Because clearly Irishtown needs more single mothers, as at present they only account for 85.5% of the population.

A nice detail is that the Council have provided Parking for 8 - count 'em - 8 cars for 24 apartments. Londonbridge Road will now be even more of a bottleneck as it will have 16 micras with Celtic flags/alloys/fluffy dice parked erratically on it at any given time.

I take it you live in the area!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hooray ...

Expect also a 2000% increase in appalling techno being blared from every balcony, a proliferation of sky satellite dishes attached to any available vertical surface and the joy of being woken up at 3 am every dole-day by the clicking of high heels and screaming of "Seanie! Come'eeeaaaah! I fuggin' luuuuuuuvvvvv youssssss!". There will also be an increase in half empty Alcopops bottles in gardens within a mile radius.

Keep up the good work Dublin City Council - the "community spirit" I describe above is clearly worth the investment of millions of taxpayers' euros to preserve. Then again, the only ones using the recycling facility were the 'posh-heads' - the locals just drop all their rubbish on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

magpie wrote:
    Its going to be replaced by as many single mothers as you can pack into 24 'Social' (the nice new word for Council) Housing Apartments. (no affordable on this site - just free houses for people from 'the community' - see here)

Are you not getting any or do you simply think that single mothers should be living on the streets?

do you simply think that single mothers should be living on the streets?

Perhaps if there wasn't the possibility of getting free housing 20 minutes walk from town, along with a swathe of benefits that ensure you never have to do a days work in your life, there might be fewer single mothers?

I'm sure there are plenty of greenfield sites that can be developed on 15-20 miles from the city centre? The French Social Housing model seems to work very well.

The argument that because you come from an area entitles you to live there is utter bunk, as anyone who has to pay their own way in the world will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

magpie wrote:
    Perhaps if there wasn't the possibility of getting free housing 20 minutes walk from town, along with a swathe of benefits that ensure you never have to do a days work in your life, there might be fewer single mothers?

Are you really suggesting that during that sensual moment when two hopelessly in love proles finally consummate* their relationship after a beautiful and trying courtship, that she is thinking about a free house 20 minutes away from Poundworld, a fistful of government benefits and lie-ins for the rest of her life? Surely that would require a higher level of thought processing than the average non 'posh-head' could possibly muster?

I personally think that the issue of the widening gulf between the haves and have-nots is a more pressing one. The fact that the young working people of Ireland can barely afford housing of their own is not the fault of the single mothers or poeple from 'the community'.

*i.e. when Anto is b0ll0ck deep in Séaneen's gee-bag.

magpie wrote:
    Expect also a 2000% increase in appalling techno being blared from every balcony, a proliferation of sky satellite dishes attached to any available vertical surface and the joy of being woken up at 3 am every dole-day by the clicking of high heels and screaming of "Seanie! Come'eeeaaaah! I fuggin' luuuuuuuvvvvv youssssss!". There will also be an increase in half empty Alcopops bottles in gardens within a mile radius.

Keep up the good work Dublin City Council - the "community spirit" I describe above is clearly worth the investment of millions of taxpayers' euros to preserve. Then again, the only ones using the recycling facility were the 'posh-heads' - the locals just drop all their rubbish on the ground.

This is a house for sale 50 metres away from the site.
    Somehow I dont think your opinion of Londonbridge road is the same as
    what estate agents think.

http://www2.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=289861&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

Again I ask are you from the area, you seem to know a lot about the area and the type of people they all are.

Why do you think that house is suddenly up for sale, and priced to sell I might add?

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    Why do you think that house is suddenly up for sale, and priced to sell I might add?

Ok its up for sale, but why do you say "suddenly".
    As soon a sign goes up it looks to be sudden...that sign wasnt there last week they must be selling becasue of the local housing scheme....( presomptuous to say the least)

You have a lot of bad things to say about the area, yet people are willing to spend over €1 million to buy a house in the area, because I guarantee that house will sell.

I suppse the crux of my arguement is that you have slagged off and bad mouthed all of the people of Irishtown, as being, unemployed,dole-leeching, alcopop swilling, litter lout unmarried mothers.....
    And as resident of Irishtown all my life I do take offence.
    Yes I realise we have some people who may have some of those traits ( not necessarilly all), but very few area's dont.

Now unless you live in the area and I presume you do because you seem to think you know so much about the place, I would however be surprised if your actually from the area originally becasue no one who was from the area would have that many bad things to say about their neighbours or generalise to such an extent.
    Unless of course your a snob and look down on people as part of the norm.

So heres a few questios. why are you so much against,

A. The area
    B. The local people
    C. The fact local resident's get cheaper ( not free) housing.

Chef

You have a lot of bad things to say about the area, yet people are willing to spend over €1 million to buy a house in the area, because I guarantee that house will sell.

No offers yet, and its been on the market for at least 6 weeks. You'll also note that its billed as Sandymount, which is technically what Londonbridge Road is - which is a very different proposition to Irishtown, unless of course you bring a load of residents from Irishtown and set them up in free apartments around the corner, and the fact that you can see the whopping great "Corpo Apartments Going in Here Soon" sign from the front door of the house might be having some effect? Who's going to pay over €1 million to live in a social housing scheme?
    So heres a few questios. why are you so much against,

A. The area

The area is fine, its the residents that are the problem
    B. The local people

I have a problem with any elements of society that rely on the state to the extent that most of the population of Irishtown do - to the extent that any sense of doing something for yourself has gone out the window. Viz my example, that I see constantly, of littering. Finished with your chips? Drop them on the ground and the state will clean it up for you. Getting your pension/dole in the post offfice? No, don't pay off your electricity bill - pay a fiver off it and get five scratch cards. Its the classic example of what the Nanny State creates.
    C. The fact local resident's get cheaper ( not free) housing.

Social housing may as well be free, the 'rent' that is paid bears no relation to the value of the property or of the market rates. Yet oddly the residents can still afford a SKY dish and to go to the pub / bookies / chipper with alarming regularity.

magpie wrote:
    No offers yet, and its been on the market for at least 6 weeks. You'll also note that its billed as Sandymount, which is technically what Londonbridge Road is - which is a very different proposition to Irishtown, unless of course you bring a load of residents from Irishtown and set them up in free apartments around the corner, and the fact that you can see the whopping great "Corpo Apartments Going in Here Soon" sign from the front door of the house might be having some effect? Who's going to pay over €1 million to live in a social housing scheme?

The area is fine, its the residents that are the problem

I have a problem with any elements of society that rely on the state to the extent that most of the population of Irishtown do - to the extent that any sense of doing something for yourself has gone out the window. Viz my example, that I see constantly, of littering. Finished with your chips? Drop them on the ground and the state will clean it up for you. Getting your pension/dole in the post offfice? No, don't pay off your electricity bill - pay a fiver off it and get five scratch cards. Its the classic example of what the Nanny State creates.

Social housing may as well be free, the 'rent' that is paid bears no relation to the value of the property or of the market rates. Yet oddly the residents can still afford a SKY dish and to go to the pub / bookies / chipper with alarming regularity.

Tell me Magpie, did someone from Irishtown kick your dog. You seem quite quite bitter about the local residents.

So now you have a gripe against all the residents of Irishtown. Everyone of them in your opinion is a scrounger.
    Funny that because I know many many people from Irishtown who actually live on Londonbridge road, and the last time I looked they were all getting up in the morning to go to work like the rest of us.
    I also know many people who have been housed in the Ringsend/Irishtown are as part of the social housing scheme, and funnily enough all of them actually work for a living too. So your ridiculous ideas that everyone you see in the area is a dole taking, chip throwing, sky wacthing scrounger, is a pile of ****e..
    So get down of that high horse before ya fall off it.
    magpie wrote:
    The area is fine, its the residents that are the problem.

Again with the generalisations. So tell me about all the non residents that were at lansdowne road last night, who went for a pint in Irishtown after the game and then went for their chips, and then threw their wrappers on the ground........ Ya never know they might actually be from where you live.

Tell me Magpie, where are you from. Where do you live.
    Because you sound like a man that was brought up in the land of make belive.

Again I will state the the local area has its share of bad eggs, but show me where hasnt. Many area's are getting affordable housing, not just Irishtown,
    But for you to again Tar everyone with the one brush proves your either a snob or fool.....and as yet im not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Chef don't mean to insult you but being from the area myself I would suggest that it's you who are the fool........Purley for paying attention to this idiot who obviouly has a superiority complex.

TheBlock wrote:
    Chef don't mean to insult you but being from the area myself I would suggest that it's you who are the fool........Purley for paying attention to this idiot who obviouly has a superiority complex.

Hey TheBlock.
    No insult taken, and I agree I probably shouldnt give him the time of day, but he pi**ed my off.
    Point taken.

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

magpie rocks ...! Never fails to anger someone.

The first rule of troll club is you never respond to anyone in troll club.
    The second rule of troll club is you never respond to anyone in troll club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

That guy Magpie thinks (i) he is a somebody and (ii) he's smart.
    He isn't either of these so I would take no heed of what he says. He merely has a bee in his bonnet and likes to get the last word in before running away and not facing up to an informed debate.

Advertisement