Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I Have to Pay?

Options
  • 12-11-2006 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Hey.

I think this is right here, if not, sorry and please move.

Last year(2005/2006) i started a course in DKIT but didn't like it and dropped out without finishing first year. Now i'm applying through the cao again to do a course in iadt Dun Laoghaire.

What i'm wondering is, do i have to pay full fees to go back to college or will i get away with just having to pay the registration fee?

Comments

There are 2 registration dates in college - one at the start of the academic year, and one around January. If you dropped out near the start of your first shot at first year, you may be able to get 'free fees' for the entire year. If you dropped out before or near the January time, you should only have to pay for one year.

How far along in the course were you when you dropped out? Did you fill out any forms informing your tutor and/or the college that you would be dropping out?

If you dropped out nearer the end of the year you will probably have to pay for one year of the course but then the 'free-fees' kick in then for the following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I Did my xmas exams and stopped attending some time after january. I never filled out any forms though, i just kinda stopped attending and never re-registered for second year.

So i just have to pay full fee's for my first year in my new course and then it goes back to "free-fee's"?

The system's kinda confusing tbh!!

Alter-Ego wrote:
    I Did my xmas exams and stopped attending some time after january. I never filled out any forms though, i just kinda stopped attending and never re-registered for second year.

So i just have to pay full fee's for my first year in my new course and then it goes back to "free-fee's"?

The system's kinda confusing tbh!!

System goes like this....

If you do three years (of a four year degree) and then drop out, and do another degree (a four year degree) you then pay for the first three years with the 'free-fee's' then kicking back in in 4th year. I'm not sure how it operates with diplomas and the like, but if you are doing it for the first time you don't have to pay. Since you'd be doing first year for hte second time, you should have to pay just first year (in the worst case scenario).

However, your case is slightly complicated by the fact that the college doesn't know when you drop out - as I said below, if you dropped out around January and informed the college of this, you would have only needed to pay one half of first year, with the government then paying your second half of first year.

Think of it as two semesters - you signed up for one and completed one, and that's grand. Sign up for the second one but don't go to it, and you can take the second semester next year!

You should ring the college (your old one, since I assume you won't be starting in IADT until 2007) and talk to one of them in Student Services about your dropping out and the implications for you getting your fees paid for by the Government. Try to remember when you decided to drop out.

Here, I even found a link for you: http://www.dkit.ie/index2.asp?id=632

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Ok, thats fine, i get it now.

Thanks very much for your help, you've been fantastic.:)

Advertisement