Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Clown John Delaney's contract extended by 6 years

• 12-11-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

I'm actually not joking......
    FAI CEO extends contract to 2012
    Date: Sunday, 12 November 2006
    Section: FAI News
    The Football Association of Ireland has announced that its Chief Executive Officer, John Delaney, has extended his contract through to 2012.

Mr. Delaney was appointed to the position on an acting basis in December 2004 and took up the post on a full time basis in March 2005. His original contract has now been extended by the Board of Management to commit the Chief Executive Officer to the association until the end of 2012.

FAI President, Mr. David Blood, said he was delighted, on behalf of the Board, to secure Mr. Delaney’s services for the next six years.

“The progress made by the Association under John’s executive leadership has been very significant and the Board is delighted to have committed John until 2012,” said Mr Blood.

“We have made great strides across all sectors of the game and overall our sport, the largest in the country, is in very good shape. We have lots more to do and, with John’s period of leadership now set for six more years, we can continue our developments with great certainty."

Highlighting what he regarded as Mr. Delaney’s key achievements to date, Mr. Blood said:
    “We have managed to pursue our strategic objectives in key areas such as the Lansdowne Road Stadium development, the progression of the National Academy at Abbotstown and the merger of the eircom League while also advancing successfully the development of the game through the successful implementation of the Technical Development Plan and the strengthening of the game at grass roots.

“While advancing all these projects, the current business and financial management of the Association has never been stronger.

“John, backed up by the Board and Council, has led a very strong executive team with unbelievable energy and great vision and we are looking forward to the further successful development of our sport and the Association over the next six years.”

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1412

Absolutely shocking.That's the final straw with me, the FAI and Ireland. Call me whatever you want I'll be cheering on San Marino on Wednesday night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Agreed, Ill still hop on the bandwagon if we qualify for a major event but its a disgrace that that floppy haired manyoo fan extended his own contract.

Did Genesis not call for someone else to be brought in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I just heard this in the Six One news and I'm too mad to post anything else here other than, this is a shocking decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

embarrassing......... the contract extension of a baffoon but also the fact that you state you will support San Marino on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

embarrassing......... the contract extension of a baffoon but also the fact that you state you will support San Marino on Wednesday.
    Agreed. Delaney signs a contract extension leads to someone hoping Ireland lose. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well you call him a baffoon yet you think think it's equally as embarrasing that yet another alienated Irish soccer fan has had it with those cronie morons patting each other on the back giving themselves extorionate contracts while fcuking about irish soccer, that doesn't add up. I hope Ireland lose, that's not my choice, the FAI has made that choice for me, that's an embarrassment reflected upon the FAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

shouldn't this be in the humour section?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Follow the rugby instead, at least the majority of Irish players live and play in this country :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm actually not joking......

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1412

Absolutely shocking.That's the final straw with me, the FAI and Ireland. Call me whatever you want I'll be cheering on San Marino on Wednesday night
    You mean, you weren't going to be cheering in a pub full of lepragoons for SM already? For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm angry because I care. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, if Ireland lose 10 games it won't lead to Delaney walking. The management team will walk the plank for the team's failure on the pitch. Doesn't mean that we can't protest against Delaney though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Some words come to mind, "laughing stock" " us" "Muppets"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think everyone is united in their opposition to the FAI and the hapless half-wits that they employ but is fully supportive of the Irish team. Why can't we boycott the FAI so? Stop buying merchandise, shirts, bring anti-FAI banners to matches, etc? I can only speak for myself, but for now on I won't purchase or support anything that contributes to FAI coffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think everyone is united in their opposition to the FAI and the hapless half-wits that they employ but is fully supportive of the Irish team. Why can't we boycott the FAI so? Stop buying merchandise, shirts, bring anti-FAI banners to matches, etc? I can only speak for myself, but for now on I won't purchase or support anything that contributes to FAI coffers.

Agreed. I haven't bought a shirt in years due to the big ugly eircom sticker on the front. Disgraceful that we're the only country whoring out our national jersey. This contract extension is a disgrace and yet another step in the wrong direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hate the FAI.

I hate Delaney.

I hate the fact that Delaney appointed an inexperienced cheap option to the role of manager.

I hate that that person is openly embracing the granny rule and not looking at players who play in European Competition ahead of English League 1 and 2 players.

I hate the fact that the FAI are assuming control of the league I support next season.

I hate 'Oirland' Fans, who claim to 'love' Irish soccer, but pump millions of euro every year into the English game, and I'm not only talking about Mr. Nice Guy and the Stadium Of Light Brigade.

I hate inflatable shamrocks, green wigs and british football shirts at Ireland games.

I hate the person who told me to 'Sit down, I'm trying to watch the game' the last time I went to see Ireland playing.

I hate Davy Keogh.

seansouth wrote:
    I hate the FAI.

I hate Delaney.

I hate the fact that Delaney appointed an inexperienced cheap option to the role of manager.

I hate that that person is openly embracing the granny rule and not looking at players who play in European Competition ahead of English League 1 and 2 players.

I hate the fact that the FAI are assuming control of the league I support next season.

I hate 'Oirland' Fans, who claim to 'love' Irish soccer, but pump millions of euro every year into the English game, and I'm not only talking about Mr. Nice Guy and the Stadium Of Light Brigade.

I hate inflatable shamrocks, green wigs and british football shirts at Ireland games.

I hate the person who told me to 'Sit down, I'm trying to watch the game' the last time I went to see Ireland playing.

I hate Davy Keogh.

Fantastic post.

seansouth wrote:
    That's not just Ireland. Almost every country would have the equivalent to this. International football isn't club football.

If you really love your country you'd support them no matter what you think of the FAI. If someone can lose the support of Ireland then I just think you aren't really a patriotic person. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'd support Ireland in absolutely any sport, especially football. I felt proud watching the opening ceremony of the special olympics ffs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i'd like to congratulate John Delaney on a job well done , and his deserved new contract .
    Lets look at his achievement :-

1. The worst Irish team i can remember, and possibly ever !

2. The worst manager Ireland have ever had

3. No International soccer stadium , still borrowing rugby and GAA stadiums , even though International soccer generates more interst , and we probably get the largest crowds at freindlies.

4. An underfunded domestic league .

5. No serious Eurpoean challenge at club level.

5. Still sub standard facilities at Junior level in comparison to GAA and Rugby .

In fact instead of rewarding himself with a new contract would he not be better off looking at the GAA or Rugby and learn how to run a sporting orgaisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Regardless of who is running the FAI I won't be turning my back on the team.

Good riddance to those who do, they are not the type of supporters I ever want to associate with anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

I hate the FAI....Agree

I hate Delaney....Agree

I hate the fact that Delaney appointed an inexperienced cheap option to the role of manager....Agree

I hate that that person is openly embracing the granny rule and not looking at players who play in European Competition ahead of English League 1 and 2 players....Examples ?? Good Irish players are thin on the ground, Charlton built our most successful team by exploiting the "Granny rule"

I hate the fact that the FAI are assuming control of the league I support next season....They cant make it any worse tbh.

I hate 'Oirland' Fans, who claim to 'love' Irish soccer, but pump millions of euro every year into the English game, and I'm not only talking about Mr. Nice Guy and the Stadium Of Light Brigade....What is there to like exactly about Irish Soccer ????

I hate inflatable shamrocks, green wigs and british football shirts at Ireland games..... Would you rather they all turned up in suits or wearing boards.ie jerseys ??

I hate the person who told me to 'Sit down, I'm trying to watch the game' the last time I went to see Ireland playing....What were you doing standing up ?? It's because of people like you I prefer to watch games at home...

I hate Davy Keogh...Agree with you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

While I would never countenance shouting against a team representing my town, county, province or country in any sport - the holier than thou brigade should realise that there is a huge difference between allegiance to your country and supporting the Football Association of Ireland's soccer team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Regardless of who is running the FAI I won't be turning my back on the team.

Good riddance to those who do, they are not the type of supporters I ever want to associate with anyway.
    Cheers, I was just gonna type that.

I'm absolutely amazed at people's responses sometimes.

sonofsam wrote:
    I hate the person who told me to 'Sit down, I'm trying to watch the game' the last time I went to see Ireland playing....What were you doing standing up ?? It's because of people like you I prefer to watch games at home...
    Come on now, that point isn't going to do your overrall post many favours. :)
    While I would never countenance shouting against a team representing my town, county, province or country in any sport - the holier than thou brigade should realise that there is a huge difference between allegiance to your country and supporting the Football Association of Ireland's soccer team.
    I don't know. I like to support Shay Given and the lads representing their country all over the world. It means as much to me as ever. I don't see how supporting Ireland means you're supporting the board. Newcastle want their chairman gone but they're still Newcastle supporters. In fact, many fans of clubs cannot stand the board.

sonofsam wrote:
    ....What were you doing standing up ?? It's because of people like you I prefer to watch games at home...
    What?

'people like me' who make up the majority of people who go to football matches in the world?

'people like me' who get so passionate about the game we love that we cannot simply sit in a stadium doing our knitting while there is a match going on?

'people like me' who go to games in stadia all over this island on a weekly basis and don't have other football fans asking us to sit down and shut up?

'people like me' :rolleyes:

Yep...Thats what I said......
    I genuinely don't mean to insult you, but you have a very "holier than thou" attitude on this board as far as Irish Soccer supporters go.

So what if we support English clubs. The premiership is exciting as well as being readily available 24/7. Not all of us live next door to an eircom league ground...

As for standing up at games...we have all seater (or at least meant to have !!) for a reason.

sonofsam wrote:
    Yep...Thats what I said......
    I genuinely don't mean to insult you, but you have a very "holier than thou" attitude on this board as far as Irish Soccer supporters go.

So what if we support English clubs. The premiership is exciting as well as being readily available 24/7. Not all of us live next door to an eircom league ground...

As for standing up at games...we have all seater (or at least meant to have !!) for a reason.

Couldn't agree more, the "i'm better than you" attitude of some members on here is quite annoying.

The Premiership is the most available feed of professional football we have, why i would love for the eircom league to be a success but at the moment thats not the case i wouldn't want to trek out to a match to watch such a low calibre of soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I would call you whatever I want but Id get banned from the forum.

Absoloutely unbelieveable. As Eirebhoy says, its the country you are supporting, the players who give it all like Given and McShane. You are supporting the green jersey, not the fcuking suits behind it. Gwan ahead, cheer on San Marino. See if anyone cares. You are obviously such a glory whore but yet you want to support a team that has only ever won one international? You honestly mean that your hatred of Delaney will make you cheer if the unthinkable happens and they manage a goaless draw or knock one past in the 91st minute? If you had something personally against a majority of the players I could nearly understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Any team that capped Jon Macken in no way shape or form represents my country. I resent the implications you made EB, in fact I think the disdain form the Irish team I have comes from the fact I am so patriotic.

Incidentally, "....What were you doing standing up ?? It's because of people like you I prefer to watch games at home..." has to be the funniest comment I've ever read on this messageboard. I'm sorry...But words simply can't do that justice...

Where've you been Slash - welcome back.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Incidentally, "....What were you doing standing up ?? It's because of people like you I prefer to watch games at home..." has to be the funniest comment I've ever read on this messageboard. I'm sorry...But words simply can't do that justice...

Why was it so funny ???

If I've paid in to see a game with my kids the last thing I want is someone standing up throughout and ruining the view (btw, I'm not taking the passion element away here, we all stand up when there are unjust decisions, incidents etc) what I'm referring to are people who just stand the whole way through. Don't see how thats so funny ??

Maybe it's because I don't follow the EL religiously ???

• Advertisement

sonofsam wrote:
    If I've paid in to see a game with my kids the last thing I want is someone standing up throughout and ruining the view
    Fair enough, but what about the people who pay in and want to stand. The last thing we want is people shouting at us every five minutes ruining my enjoyment of a football game.:p
    sonofsam wrote:
    (btw, I'm not taking the passion element away here, we all stand up when there are unjust decisions, incidents etc)
    So it's okay to stand when it suits you.

What I might see as an injustice is different to your opinion.

sonofsam wrote:
    what I'm referring to are people who just stand the whole way through. Don't see how thats so funny ??
    Tell you what - go into any stadium IN THE WORLD and you will see people standing up for the majority of the game (personally I like to sit down at half time and have a gander at the program, if we have produced one). I'm sure a lot of stadia have 'family areas' where you can take your children and sit down and be quiet to your hearts content. But not Landsdowne under the FAI, so why should my behaviour change for a midweek international match from what I do week-in week-out at eL games?
    sonofsam wrote:
    Maybe it's because I don't follow the EL religiously ???
    WTF does that have to do with it?

Slash/ED wrote:
    Any team that capped Jon Macken in no way shape or form represents my country.
    Why he was as eligible to play for the country as you or I am.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    If you think that, you should have a read back through this...........
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I think the disdain form the Irish team I have comes from the fact I am so patriotic.
    LOL.

Nice one Jivin.......

Sean south....the days of standing at international football matches is over...get used to it. What you do week in week out at EL matches, really does'nt interest me or most of the posters on this board (I thought we made that clear)....

As for me not following EL religiously...well, it seems to have everything to do with it. You've taken exception to me questioning your self righteous posts re: being an Irish supporter (i.e. your more Irish than me cos you follow the EL !!!!).

Grow up.

(Also, I've been to most of the major stadiums in the world and they too have seats for a reason)

sonofsam wrote:
    As for me not following EL religiously...well, it seems to have everything to do with it. You've taken exception to me questioning your self righteous posts re: being an Irish supporter (i.e. your more Irish than me cos you follow the EL !!!!).

Please, for the sake of fairness, quote where I say that, or even imply it.

If you can't, then retract that scurrilous statement.
    sonofsam wrote:
    Grow up.
    I will when you stop posting lies about me.

seansouth wrote:
    Fair enough, but what about the people who pay in and want to stand. The last thing we want is people shouting at us every five minutes ruining my enjoyment of a football game.:p

Sorry to jump in but this bugs the f**k out of me, I went over to Anfield with a group students recently to see the Liverool v Bordeaux game and I and 8 kids were put in the east stand side of the kop and everyone was told by the Marshall to sit down and they did now when a goal was scored etc everyone stood up as normal which is fine, however the other kids were in the main KOP end and as anyone that has been to Anfield will know they don't sit down in the kop.

So the kids in my group really enjoyed the game because they got to see the whole game, however a lot of the kids in the main kop stand got to see feck all because peope were standing up in front of them. The small kids paid the same money as those who stood in front of them and blocked their view.

Seats are put their a reason and anyone that stands blocking others should be removed from the stadium imo as it being ignorant to those behind.

Totally agree, if i went to a match and paid 60euro for a SEAT and somebody was standing up in front of me i'd tell them where to get off, and im sure the security would gladly assist. It's just rude, arrogant and unfair to the people who paid into the ground and all have the right to watch the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

As for standing up at games...we have all seater (or at least meant to have !!) for a reason

and what reason is that?
    Seats are put their a reason and anyone that stands blocking others should be removed from the stadium imo as it being ignorant to those behind.

If a stadium provides terracing I will go and stand there

if not I will pay for a seat and stand for the mojority of the game

I hate this push for worldwide all seater stadia terracing can be just as safe if its designed and segregated properly

Hang on a second here.

I think some people have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

I NEVER stated that when I was told to sit down at the Ireland match that I had been standing for the WHOLE TIME - I NEVER said that.

In fact, I had stood up when an 'incident' happened to remonstrate with the player/referee or something. I can't remember the full details. It was the Faroes qualifier. I was in the Lower East Stand.

If a stadium provides terracing I will go and stand there

if not I will pay for a seat and stand for the mojority of the game

I hate this push for worldwide all seater stadia terracing can be just as safe if its designed and segregated properly

and what about the Kids behind you have also paid for a seat and can't see through you??

irish1 wrote:
    Sorry to jump in but this bugs the f**k out of me, I went over to Anfield with a group students recently to see the Liverool v Bordeaux game and I and 8 kids were put in the east stand side of the kop and everyone was told by the Marshall to sit down and they did now when a goal was scored etc everyone stood up as normal which is fine, however the other kids were in the main KOP end and as anyone that has been to Anfield will know they don't sit down in the kop.

So the kids in my group really enjoyed the game because they got to see the whole game, however a lot of the kids in the main kop stand got to see feck all because peope were standing up in front of them. The small kids paid the same money as those who stood in front of them and blocked their view.

Fair play, didnt realise Liverpool fans were such big followers of the EL.

Whos a liverpool fan?? Not me anyway!

But it doesn't matter who you support if you pay for a seat then you shouldn't have your view blocked by some ignorant supporter who demands to stand for the whole game. That goes for EL, PL, CL or International games.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    and what about the Kids behind you have also paid for a seat and can't see through you??

Most kids would see over me im a short git

Most kids would see over me im a short git
    Well some of the first years on my tour were under 5ft, would they see over you?

irish1 wrote:
    Well some of the first years on my tour were under 5ft, would they see over you?

well conidering the seats behind are usaly a few inches higher most of them would

I know how it feels not to be albe to see things properly I regulary cant see gigs /matches properly or have to strain to do so I still find this infinatly perferable to being seated for in entiratly of a game

I dont stand for the entire game when in a seated stadium I just think I should be able to stand when I do want to
    Totally agree, if i went to a match and paid 60euro for a SEAT and somebody was standing up in front of me i'd tell them where to get off,

dont worry I wont be causing people like you problems I never buy tickets in the dear seats the atsmosphere and lack of passion from people(mainly) only there because thier company sponsors the event is depressing.

irish1 wrote:

sonofsam had made some assumption that only holier than thou EL fans stood at games.

I think its up to the clubs to implement ticket sales etc properly - if I was given a ticket for the Kop I would expect to be standing for 90 minutes, go to Dalymount you can choose where you sit, itll be blatantly obvious not to go to the F section if you dont want to stand, Im sure its the same around England and europe. If I was stuck in a section of the ground where everybody was sitting I wouldnt stand either.

Why he was as eligible to play for the country as you or I am.

Words can't express how much this attitude depresses me. So f*cking what? It's internetional football, I want to see a team out there that represents people who's dream it was to play at the highest level for us. Not former england internationals looking to further their careers who couldn't give a toss eitherway. Not to mention the fact he is complete and utter cack.
    If you think that, you should have a read back through this...........

LOL.

Nothing funny about it. If you want to see an Ireland team represented by English journeymen who are there as they're not good enough to play for England (NB not saying all non irish born players fall into this category) then I'd question your patriotism, if we're going to get into that stupid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i take it you were booing andy townsend and john aldridge and the rest during italia 90 and usa 94?

On the topic of plastic paddies:
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/sport/6029677.html

Slash/ED wrote:
    Words can't express how much this attitude depresses me.
    It was a glib remark in response to one by you.

Working off your attitude, even in 1000 years, when the team may be made up of all Irish speaking men born and reared from Connemara, playing their football for Tír Na Nóg FC, the team will still not represent "your country", as they picked Jon Macken, a man born in England but under FIFA rules still "Irish", once in a lifetime.

Your attitude depresses me, as I don't find it patriotic, I would consider it closre to bigoted personally.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    So f*cking what? It's internetional football, I want to see a team out there that represents people who's dream it was to play at the highest level for us. Not former england internationals looking to further their careers who couldn't give a toss eitherway.
    Ideally, so would I.

At the same time I won't discount that some of Ireland's greatest footballing ambasadors and heroes come from vague Irish links. I'm sure you celebrated the success of Italia 90 likewise. There are plenty of people that probably didn't grow up dreaming of playing for Ireland that consider themselves Irish now, and take pride in their adopted nation.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Not to mention the fact he is complete and utter cack.
    Irrelevant.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Nothing funny about it. If you want to see an Ireland team represented by English journeymen who are there as they're not good enough to play for England (NB not saying all non irish born players fall into this category) then I'd question your patriotism, if we're going to get into that stupid argument.
    It is hilarious. You say you have "disdain" for the current Irish team and that makes you patriotic? Particularly when you make here the remark regarding the "Irishness" of players. How many of the current set-up would you consider "non-Irish". Most are born here.

Again, remark like this make me think your attitude is more bigoted than patriotic.

If you have a problem with the association, fine, I understand why and agree. So go support San Marino or whoever if it makes you happy. As I said already in the thread, your presence won't be missed by the rest of us supporters.

It was a glib remark in response to one by you.

Working off your attitude, even in 1000 years, when the team may be made up of all Irish speaking men born and reared from Connemara, playing their football for Tír Na Nóg FC, the team will still not represent "your country", as they picked Jon Macken, a man born in England but under FIFA rules still "Irish", once in a lifetime.

Your attitude depresses me, as I don't find it patriotic, I would consider it closre to bigoted personally.

Bigoted? No offence, but try to talk some kind of sense please. That is utterly ridicilous. How the f*ck is it bigoted? Please, carefully, explain that to me. Please. If you want to call me bigoted again, get some kind of understanding of the word first.

Your other argument is ridiclous too. I'll support the team if I feel it represents me or my country, if we stopped picking Macken et all, I'd be happy to support them. If not, I wont.

Macken may be Irish under Fifa ruels, but Irish he is not. He is an englishman who wanted to play for England his whole life, did play for England and never showed any interest in playing for us until later in life when he realised he was cack. He then declares for us, because of a temporary fifa loophole. Does this embarass nobody else here that we are used like this? Has nobody any bloody pride? He viewed us as a way to kick start his failing career years after he casually wrote off his chances of ever playing for us again by playing for England u20s (He wasn't to know he could play for us later due to a change in rules). And instead of being laughed at and told this is no place for mercenarys to come and use to get a bit of exposure, we gleefully accepted his pathetic attempts and capped him. It was embarassing, depressing and pathetic, and I use him as an example more than many others as he actually had already declared for another country willingly and thought he had ended his chances at playing for us and didn't care at the time either. He is however not alone in how he viewed the Irish set up, and don't even attempt to try and fool yourself or anyone else into thinking otherwise.

That is in no way bigoted. It is not an anti-English thing, if he was brazilian it would be exactly the same.
    Ideally, so would I.

At the same time I won't discount that some of Ireland's greatest footballing ambasadors and heroes come from vague Irish links. I'm sure you celebrated the success of Italia 90 likewise. There are plenty of people that probably didn't grow up dreaming of playing for Ireland that consider themselves Irish now, and take pride in their adopted nation.

And they should never have been allowed play for us in the first place. I'd rather support an unsuccessful Irish side than a successful England B. Would you cheer if, by some loophole, we were allowed pick a dream team of world elite players. Ronaldinho et al sudenly appear in an Ireland shirt and we win the world cup. Is this a success for us? Hypotetically speaking, of course. For me, I wouldn't give a b*ll*cks. I'd rather see a side made up of Irish postmen win a corner.

As it happens, I did cheers for the success of Italia 90 and even later campaigns, only because I was too young to really care about these things at the time.
    Irrelevant.

True. But he was.
    It is hilarious. You say you have "disdain" for the current Irish team and that makes you patriotic? Particularly when you make here the remark regarding the "Irishness" of players. How many of the current set-up would you consider "non-Irish". Most are born here.

Where did I say it made me patriotic? There is nothing more frustrating than someone on an internet forum who makes up things and argues against them. I said it was as a result of patriotism. Patriotism that makes me cringe when we call up the likes of Macken, as it's a pathetic national embarassment to pick up the cast offs of other countrys because we've no pride in our own.

I did not use it to try some kind of rubbish moral highground who's the most patriotic person kind of argument, as I couldn't care less.
    Again, remark like this make me think your attitude is more bigoted than patriotic.

If you have a problem with the association, fine, I understand why and agree. So go support San Marino or whoever if it makes you happy. As I said already in the thread, your presence won't be missed by the rest of us supporters.

I never said I'd support San Marino, I couldn't give a sh*t to be honest. It's two teams completley unattached and uninteresting to myself playing in a match. Two essentially foreign sides. My point was merely at the start of this debate that saying you're not patriotic if you don't follow "the lads" was an utterly ridicilous thing to say which I resented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Soooooo....

Anyone have any opinions about John Delaneys new contract, because you can be certain he wasn't responsible for all seater stadiums, or any stadiums for that matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement