Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Clown John Delaney's contract extended by 6 years

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

as we're off Topic Slash/ED, whats with your sig?. Anne Frank wasn't blind, are you thinking perhaps of Helen Keller?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nice to see Mr. Delaney at an eircom league ground tonight. Showing face in front of those who payed his wages with the €15 entrance fee for the game. Smiles all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    Bigoted? No offence, but try to talk some kind of sense please. That is utterly ridicilous. How the f*ck is it bigoted? Please, carefully, explain that to me. Please. If you want to call me bigoted again, get some kind of understanding of the word first.
    You said that "any team that capped Jon Macken in no way shape or form represents your country". Ireland capped JM, and therefore, in your own words, in no way shape or form represent your country. The tense you use indicate that that is regardless of their current set up.

That to me indicates an intolerance for what you deem as "non-Irish" (despite rules stating otherwords) in the Irish set-up, which is bigotry, pretty much to a tee by any dictionary.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Your other argument is ridiclous too. I'll support the team if I feel it represents me or my country, if we stopped picking Macken et all, I'd be happy to support them. If not, I wont.
    Who are "Macken et al"? The tense and way you phrased your previous comment does not convey this.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Macken may be Irish under Fifa ruels, but Irish he is not. He is an englishman who wanted to play for England his whole life, did play for England and never showed any interest in playing for us until later in life when he realised he was cack. He then declares for us, because of a temporary fifa loophole. Does this embarass nobody else here that we are used like this? Has nobody any bloody pride? He viewed us as a way to kick start his failing career years after he casually wrote off his chances of ever playing for us again by playing for England u20s (He wasn't to know he could play for us later due to a change in rules). And instead of being laughed at and told this is no place for mercenarys to come and use to get a bit of exposure, we gleefully accepted his pathetic attempts and capped him. It was embarassing, depressing and pathetic, and I use him as an example more than many others as he actually had already declared for another country willingly and thought he had ended his chances at playing for us and didn't care at the time either. He is however not alone in how he viewed the Irish set up, and don't even attempt to try and fool yourself or anyone else into thinking otherwise.
    I understand to a degree your frustrations. And Macken in particular is probably the most extreme example. But how do we distinguish about who dreamed of playing for Ireland as a teenager? And who didn't? Why should someone who is born here be necessarily "more Irish" than someone born in England to second generation Irish, but raised as pure Irish?

When it comes down to it, the likes of Aldridge and Cascarino, both of whom have vague blood ties to Ireland, probably showed more passion wearing the green in their careers than plenty of others born and bred here. And when it comes down to it, for me, that is what is important.

You go on to say yourself that you supported the side throughout WC90/WC94 as you were too young to understand, why should we discount a guy who has an England U15/17 cap, as surely they faced the exact same scenario as you did? They were too young. When it comes down to it, for me, it principally depends on the pride they show currently in the jersey, once they are eligible.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    And they should never have been allowed play for us in the first place. I'd rather support an unsuccessful Irish side than a successful England B. Would you cheer if, by some loophole, we were allowed pick a dream team of world elite players. Ronaldinho et al sudenly appear in an Ireland shirt and we win the world cup. Is this a success for us? Hypotetically speaking, of course. For me, I wouldn't give a b*ll*cks. I'd rather see a side made up of Irish postmen win a corner.
    No I wouldn't if it were some ridiculous loophole that would be required for that scenario to happen.

At the same time I don't look at the current Irish side as the England B team, and I'm sure if you said that to their faces you would come out with more than one smack to your own.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    As it happens, I did cheers for the success of Italia 90 and even later campaigns, only because I was too young to really care about these things at the time.
    Just like the kids that take underage caps.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Where did I say it made me patriotic? There is nothing more frustrating than someone on an internet forum who makes up things and argues against them. I said it was as a result of patriotism. Patriotism that makes me cringe when we call up the likes of Macken, as it's a pathetic national embarassment to pick up the cast offs of other countrys because we've no pride in our own.
    Apologies to quoting you wrong, but I still think it is pathetic. I fail to see how your own patriotism can make you hate the national side.

Who, out of the current set up, do you consider of the same breed as Macken (who I agree is an extreme example of exploitation of these rules)?
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I did not use it to try some kind of rubbish moral highground who's the most patriotic person kind of argument, as I couldn't care less.
    I'm not trying to engage you in that argument.
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I never said I'd support San Marino, I couldn't give a sh*t to be honest. It's two teams completley unattached and uninteresting to myself playing in a match. Two essentially foreign sides. My point was merely at the start of this debate that saying you're not patriotic if you don't follow "the lads" was an utterly ridicilous thing to say which I resented.
    I said San Marino or whoever. If that is no one for you, good for you, the rest of my point still stands. Other people have opted for SM and the point stands for them too.

If you, or anyone else, think a side of eight Irish born and bred players, one Irish born, one born to Irish parents, and one with Irish grandparents (but U21 and B caps AFAIK) walking on to the pitch, wearing a jersey calling them Ireland, in Ireland, as "Ireland", doesn't "in any way shape or form" represent your country, then perhaps you all are more patriotic than the rest of us. Bordering on the radical.

Personally I see those "lads" as Irish, and the Irish team, just as I'm sure each and every one of them do too.

And please don't accuse me of taking the moral highground. I wished you on your way if that is how you felt. There is a common theme amongst all of the posters adopting this "I'm not supporting Ireland tomorrow" line, and surprise surprise what that is...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

so slash...not a big fan of Jon Macken then ??

(or Anne Frank for that matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Is there any way the current FAI mob can be overthrown?? Can we all beome members of FAI and overthrow them and revolutionise the organisation??????/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Free flights to Engerland and prawn sandwiches for all!

:)

Advertisement