Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booze bonanza, political ramifications?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I read recently that this state has received 31 billion euro (not sure if that inflation-adjusted) since joining.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

milltown wrote:
    Why will the revenue need to be raised elsewhere? Why can't the government just tighten their belts and look for better value for money when times are tougher? That's what you and I have to do.

Do you not see any correlation between the enormous budget surpluses our govt. has had over the past number of years and the unbelievable ways it had found to waste it? The PPARS (sp?) computer system. The land for the new prison. The port tunnel. I'm even tempted to throw in the illegal nursing home charges, the cost of which was so severely underestimated because this government of ours doesn't know the value of money because we give them too much of it.

I am open to correction by somebody with a better understanding of our Dept. of Finance but I think if in year one the govt. finds itself with a lot more cash from any source, be it stamp duty, VRT or whatever, in year two it will budget for that extra income. What has been happening is that in year two and every year for the last while, the tax take has exceeded even the upwardly revised figures from previous years.

They don't care how they spend our money because every year we give them more of it.

Exactly what i have been saying for years milltown. look at ESB price hikes. Any business on the high st would look at its cost base before lumping on such a high price increase. Not a semi state tho, despite the fact deloitee published a report saying it was wasting 100m a year due to poor power plant maintanence and what they deemed 'excessive' wages the consumer still has to stump up more cash to fund this continued fether bedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

milltown wrote:
    Why will the revenue need to be raised elsewhere? Why can't the government just tighten their belts and look for better value for money when times are tougher? That's what you and I have to do.

Do you not see any correlation between the enormous budget surpluses our govt. has had over the past number of years and the unbelievable ways it had found to waste it? The PPARS (sp?) computer system. The land for the new prison. The port tunnel. I'm even tempted to throw in the illegal nursing home charges, the cost of which was so severely underestimated because this government of ours doesn't know the value of money because we give them too much of it.

I am open to correction by somebody with a better understanding of our Dept. of Finance but I think if in year one the govt. finds itself with a lot more cash from any source, be it stamp duty, VRT or whatever, in year two it will budget for that extra income. What has been happening is that in year two and every year for the last while, the tax take has exceeded even the upwardly revised figures from previous years.

They don't care how they spend our money because every year we give them more of it.

Exactly what i have been saying for years milltown. look at ESB price hikes. Any business on the high st would look at its cost base before lumping on such a high price increase. Not a semi state tho, despite the fact deloitee published a report saying it was wasting 100m a year due to poor power plant maintanence and what they deemed 'excessive' wages the consumer still has to stump up more cash to fund this continued feather bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mike65 wrote:
    Slightly sideways thought - if additonal taxes will not be levied on imported booze and fags then what about cars? Would'nt this case if succesful drive a coach and four through the current VRT system?

from Sunday Times

Mike.

if memory serves the irish MEPs voted to retain VRT in a vote in the parliment stating that if they did away with it they'd have to introduce a tax on fuel consumption to replace it(maybe carbon emmission? cause like they reallycare about the enviroment :rolleyes: ), which sounds like a double tax on petrol to me. some fairly unlikely bedfellows were involved as well. sorry im so vague but it was months ago and was only listening in passing. the point im trying to make is if your right, and i think your on to something, they'll just find another way to claw it back. possibly instituted the day of the judgement and definetly connected to car usage

funny how we've just happened to become the most car dependant country in europe now isnt it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

This is what you get when you "run a government like a business."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

anyone know if this is done and dusted or just one step in the process? couldve sworn i heard somewhere they'd appeal it if they lost.
    far as i can tell the central premise for the judgement is you must collect the goods personally cause if you dont its "obviously" for comercial and not private use. now im no legal expert but it seems to me someone whos crippled and cant fly to poland to buy his fags in person could have a case for discrimination here, particularly if the amounts are under the existing limits.

this mightnt be over yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Once again we see just how separate the judiciary at the highest level really are from those who appoint them (ie the state, or in ireland the current government party in the case of virtually all our supreme court judges).

Advertisement