Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 VW Passat 1.9TDi problems

Options
  • 12-11-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭

I had a hairy experience today.

I was pulling off a side road onto a main road in my grandfathers Passat TDi. Everything was good, I dropped the clutch, pulled off, and halfways across the road it stalled.

No obvious reason for this, and it seems a pretty common occurrence according to the grandfather. I know how easy these modern diesels stall, but this is something different. Anyone have any ideas?

Also in the Passat 1st and 3rd gear are almost indistinguishable. Does anyone else with this gearbox have this issue?

Does anyone else think the electric handbrake is sillier than a particularly silly Monty Python sketch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

agreed on the electric handbrake, It's a bit fiddly. The Renault electric handbrake seems to work a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

colm_mcm wrote:
    agreed on the electric handbrake, It's a bit fiddly. The Renault electric handbrake seems to work a lot better.

Except for the minor issue of eating brake pads. I've already come across the Passat problem of cutting out and it seems the dealers are having problems trying to figure out what the problem is too. Engine management lights seem to be coming on at an alarming rate too with the new Passats and Golfs too. Things only seem to be getting worse tbh.

I think the electric handbrake is just there for the sake of it. no real use. I quite like the handbrake setup on the E class, using the normal brake pedal

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think the electric handbrake is just there for the sake of it. no real use. I quite like the handbrake setup on the E class, using the normal brake pedal

They're a bit akward for doing handbrake turns with though.:)

this is true. I've lost count of the number of times I've been driving an E class and wanted to do a handbrake turn!

BTW, is the electric handbrake thingy standard on all automatic E class or is it an oprion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

junkyard wrote:
    Except for the minor issue of eating brake pads. I've already come across the Passat problem of cutting out and it seems the dealers are having problems trying to figure out what the problem is too. Engine management lights seem to be coming on at an alarming rate too with the new Passats and Golfs too. Things only seem to be getting worse tbh.

Holy Schweppes !, for a minute I thought I was in a Renault forum !!;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Nah, just Germany's version of Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i have the same problem with a 99 toledo just cuts out for no reason.just dies for no reason.mechanics cant find anything wrong with it.the computer said it was a sensor got that no differance.i think all the vws from 98 up have very bad eletrical problems.from central looking that dont work to windows that go down but dont go up.everything.i always had vw cars im seriously thinking of changing there not reliable anymore.jebus i had a 95 toledo years ago had it for years no problems and shes still going good over 170k miles on the clock.

old Toledo based on MK2 Golf, therefore very simple and reliable.

They should change their slogan to " If only the new Volkswagens were as reliable as the old ones were". Notice how they don't use the "If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen" one anymore, its no wonder really because they're appalling.

• Advertisement

they do make nice cupolders and grab handles though. and let's face it, a lot of people judge a car on the quality of its silicon damped devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VWs - where do I start? So many things going wrong with the new Passat. Power supply relays, heated seats, radios, rear window demisters, climate control, turbos.............. Nice car to drive, but frought with silly reliability issues - most of which are more annoying rather than the sort of stuff that leaves you stuck at the roadside. They used to be so reliable and that reputation still stands for some reason. But something that I find strange is that as a VW car ages it seems to get more reliable. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

junkyard wrote:
    They should change their slogan to " If only the new Volkswagens were as reliable as the old ones were". Notice how they don't use the "If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen" one anymore, its no wonder really because they're appalling.
    Yes, and they have all but disowned, their more illustrious (aircooled) past.

Except of course when it suits them to put some marketing spin on things.

Instead of having ideas about their station with Phaetons and such like, they should concentrate on building cars which are more reliable, less complex, in keeping with their founding principles. Not just have Skoda, as the budget option of their group.

As for their ads, they try to be clever and end up been naff.

TomMc wrote:
    Not just have Skoda, as the budget option of their group.

And probably the most reliable of the group, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

crosstownk wrote:
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

crosstownk wrote:

ah now lads lets not get carried away after all there are all the same parts;)
    another thing i hates about the new passats and jettas is the back lights.have you seen the state of them.the indacator is impossible to see.when they came out first i nearly drove straight into a fella turning right becuase i couldnt see his stupid indicator.them ones should not be road legal i swear:eek:

Car Mad wrote:
    ah now lads lets not get carried away after all there are all the same parts;)

I find Skoda tend to lag behind VW/Audi engine types and other parts by 6 months to a year - sometimes more. Maybe this is why they are more reliable. VW/Audi cars get the newer stuff while Skoda (and Seat) tend to get the more tried and tested stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

crosstownk wrote:
    I find Skoda tend to lag behind VW/Audi engine types and other parts by 6 months to a year - sometimes more. Maybe this is why they are more reliable. VW/Audi cars get the newer stuff while Skoda (and Seat) tend to get the more tried and tested stuff.

Not always the case though.

The Fabia had the new small VAG platform in 2000. The Polo and Ibiza got it in 2002. Also the MkI Octavia afaik was available in Eastern Europe since 1996 well before the MkIV Golf in 1998.

Advertisement