Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embedding Excel into HTML

Options
  • 12-11-2006 9:46pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, because I'm still a newbie, but I'm trying to build a website, the main page for which is currently an excel file. I'm hopeless at any web-based languages, but I know my way around an excel workbook (yay me).

I need to get the website up and running soon, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to get an excel sheet into a html document (I'm thinking frames here), or else how to translate it into html code?

I have a series of lookups and "if" functions that are the basis of my concerns.

I've tried the google spreadsheet application, but the formulae are too complex for it.

Any help whatsoever would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
    hullaballoo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There was a thread here about that fairly recently wasn't there? I don't think that thread produced any real solutions so I don't think there's anything out there.

Do you just want to show a page of static data? If so then you can output the Excel to HTML afair and it outputs the data to a tabled version of the file. If that doesn't work, I'm 99% sure that you can output the data to a manageable static tabled solution another way.

Or do you want a dynamic solution where you change the data cell and the website updates the sheet accordingly?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Gordon wrote:
    Or do you want a dynamic solution where you change the data cell and the website updates the sheet accordingly?
    Yeah, this would be ideal. Basically the active sheet has a couple of dropdowns whose values alter the appearance in other cells. They operate through a number of hidden sheets which basically contain tables and pertinent lookups.

Thanks for your help, Gordo. It does look like I'll have to try to do it without excel. Know any quick guides to php/html/javascript etc? :/

Edit: also SQL. :)

Advertisement