Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old constantly hungry

Options
  • 12-11-2006 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

My 6 year old has always had a huge appetite even as a baby. He would wake every 2 hours for a bottle.

However lately (i,e, the past week) i am shocked. All i hear all day long is I'm hungry - *insert whiney voice here*.

This can be only an hour after his dinner.

He is a big boy, always has been but his belly just seems to be geting out of control and obviously i am worried for his health.

I dont know whether to take him to the doctor - could worms be the cause?

When he asks for something to eat it is actual food he wants and not sweets or anything.

How much is too much. It breaks my heart to say he cant have anything to eat when he is hungry - i feel so cruel!! Like this morning for example i gave him scrambled egg and toast for breakfast and an hour later he was whinging for a ham sandwich at 10.30 am! Then he had sunday dinner early afternoon but cos he didnt finish it i made him boiled rice and chicken and a few chips which he ate. 2 hours later he is asking for a sandwich again! In between i am catching him with 2 and 3 petite filous and packets of crisps, its like he is out of control in the eating department. I now have to remove all snack food from the house.

Anyone any experience in this? My neice is the opposite she wont eat at all!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Worms can cause this esp if it is fruit or carbs that the body can turn into sugar.
    A dose of worm tablets from the chemist won't do him any harm but check with the chemist.
    I would suggest maybe food that is harder to digest with more roughage, wetabix ect and keep a food diary of what he is eating so that you can show it to the gp if you are still worried.
    My 8 year old it going through something simular atm and I expect him to shoot up an few inches in height over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My 11 year old is like this. He eats fairly healthy balanced meals most of the time and the odd treat. He's fairly active and likes sport but recently he's put on a small bit of weight and we've up his activities and take him for a walk most days.

I've noticed in the last few years he goes through a phase like this and then seems to stretch like he's growing into his weight. I try to get him to eat at the table instead of grazing in front of the tv. He prefers to be out playing with the neighbours children so wouldn't be stuck in front of the tv or ps2 for hours.

I've started giving him soup between meals which seems to be making a bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Are we all talking about boys here,cause my 5 yr old is exactly the same.Constantly hungry.He does play a lot of activities and sneaks in to watch the telly when our backs are turned.

Now every second ad on the telly mentions food or portrays food in a way and which will make his hypothalamus or piturity glands(cant remember which) over react and can lead them to be hungry again(all in the head so to say).
    This goes for all people of all ages too.
    It is extraordinary to watch as he will have just finish his dinner and has saw an advert for Mcdonadls and is hungry again.

So basically turn off the telly for a day and see what happens.Just an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Worms aren't very common in Ireland and when they do occur they are usually threadworms. These give no symtoms other than an itchy bottom!

As your problem has only been in the last week then maybe you should find out if the pleas for food are actually a plea for something else...

How is he getting on at school, with friends, with minders...?? Have there been any changes to family routine in the last few weeks? Is he just bored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I find if my little lad who is 4 is bored, he says he is hungry. If i offer him a colouring book or another toy it usually distracts him.

So make sure its not boredom, its a bad habit for kids to pick up, I eat when i bored and paying the price!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thanks for the replies everyone.

he actually does watch a lot of tv - i am going to cut that out. he doesnt have any friends in teh neighbourhood they are all grown up so i am going to start making him take walks with me and see about joining a club.

Problem is he is a bit clumsy and we tried karate but he jsut didnt take to it.

Hes more into computers and he has just joined a chess club which he loves - hes more mental than physical.

But the walking should help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Sometimes we can be thirsty but our bodies tell us that we are hungry. Try giving him a glass of water and wait for 30mins.

Advertisement