Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEST war films ever!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MrsRoundy

For those of ye who think "Three Kings" is considered a war movie ye need your heads tested:)

I mean George Clooney trying to play a soldier was just laughable.

Totally Hollywood...

It was just a ridiculous excuse for a movie. Now, "Hamburger Hill" or "Full Metal Jacket" for example are real war movies with real militaristic emotions coming to light IMHO.

They show perfect examples of what can go on inside the head of a trained killer;)

It's not like Hollywood where they bloody well all fall in love for goodness sake:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

BostonB wrote:
    That rings a bell. I think thats set in the Bosnia war (or similar) and theres bunch of guys stuck in a trench with a prisoner or something. I think this is it.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Mans-Land-Branko-Djuric/dp/customer-reviews/B000060MUZ

Thats the one. Saw it the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Tribunius wrote:
    Thats the one. Saw it the other night.

Thats the one alright, not really a conventional war film, but the term war-film is open to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭SameDifference

Saving Prvt Ryan will always be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Has anyone else seen Kokoda? Pretty good film, only saw it recently.

Also, opinions on the look of Valkeyrie? Looks great in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Savior is worth a look, for those who don't mind their war films a bit 'outside the norm'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

HavoK wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen Kokoda? Pretty good film, only saw it recently.

Yep, have seen that one, not a bad movie, I felt it was somewhat lacking though, cant put my finger on it. Well worth a look though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Savior,
    Come and See
    Война (War, russian film)
    The 9th Company
    Downfall
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Full Metal jacket
    Black Hawk Down
    Nightporter
    The damned
    Das Boot
    The killing fields.
    Salvador.
    (plus another WWII one the Heydrich assasination that I cant remember the name of).

In the cartoon-ish category :
    Cross of Iron, big red one, kellys heroes, Where eagles dare.

HavoK wrote: »

Also, opinions on the look of Valkeyrie? Looks great in my opinion...

Hasn't there already been a German film in the last few years covering this?
    If i remember it was quite good.
    I'd like to think that Valkerie will be good but i wouldn't be suprised if the story is butchered in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Morlar wrote: »

In the cartoon-ish category :
    Cross of Iron, big red one, kellys heroes, Where eagles dare.

Cross of Iron fits into the cartoon-ish category?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Follow me ( six day war )
    The odd angry shot
    Battle of algeirs

and not quite at home here the delta farce :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Fidelis wrote: »
    In Saving Private Ryan, I never understood why they performed a frontal assault on the MG nest at the radio tower. It made no sense :confused:

I never understood the whole premise of the film. Captains do not lead sections off into enemy territory to rescue Privates.

Mick86 wrote: »
    I never understood the whole premise of the film. Captains do not lead sections off into enemy territory to rescue Privates.

Think it was supposed to be handpicked men from the remainder of his company.

Feck it, didn't make sense anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I thought Sniper (with Tom Berenger and Billy Zane) was really good. Sniper2 was ridiculus, didn't even bother watching Sniper3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mick86 wrote: »

If the order to make sure the Private in question was rescued came from the Secretary of Defense (Or the President, I can't recall the movie now), I think it's highly likely that the mission will be considered important enough that they'd put a reliable comissioned officer in charge of it. Sometimes you need the Power of the Bars to get over obstacles that a sergeant doesn't have the horsepower to clear.

"I need to commandeer a jeep"
    "Yeah, right Sergeant...go away"

"Hmm... Sign this, sir."

However, I restate my opinion that SPR was a horrible war movie, with some fantastic combat scenes in the first 20 minutes.

NTM

Not as bad as a film i was subjected to on sky the other night
    Behind Enemy Lines 2: Axis of Evil ;)

If the order to make sure the Private in question was rescued came from the Secretary of Defense (Or the President, I can't recall the movie now), I think it's highly likely that the mission will be considered important enough that they'd put a reliable comissioned officer in charge of it. Sometimes you need the Power of the Bars to get over obstacles that a sergeant doesn't have the horsepower to clear.

"Yeah, right Sergeant...go away"

"Hmm... Sign this, sir."

However, I restate my opinion that SPR was a horrible war movie, with some fantastic combat scenes in the first 20 minutes.

NTM

Exactly! The story line although a little strange/unrealistic could indeed happen if the order came from the secretary of defense and if it did come from such a high ranked offical a high ranked officer would surely be put in charge of the mission. Great film too......

Platoon is a personal favorite of mine, great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly by Sergio Leone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Band of brothers
    A Bridge over river Kwai
    Black hawk down
    The thin red line
    Das boot
    Three kings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kellys Heroes Is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Ice-cold in Alex is well worth a look too. Considering it was made in 1958 some of the issues in the film (cowardice / battle fatigue in a British officer, alcoholism for example) are quite refreshing (just like the beer at the end!).
    633 Squadron also deserves a mention - if it can inspire George Lucas for the climax of Star Wars it must have something going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Cato wrote: »
    Band of brothers
    A Bridge over river Kwai
    Black hawk down
    The thin red line
    Das boot
    Three kings

definately thought ud ave platoon in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Captainship

Since we had the Turkey films,How about the best warfilms?
    Favs of mine

ww1/2

All quiet on the Western Front,Das Boot,Stalingrad,Downfall,Saving Pvt Ryan,Band of Brothers,Flags of our Fathers,heros of Telemark,bridge over the river Quai,

Nam
    Apocalypse now[dirs cut],Full Metal Jacket,Hamburger Hill,we were soilders,
    Three Kings,
    Pass the popcorn
    ..:)

Max Manusicon7.gif
    Heroes of telemark
    We where soldiers

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

The Boys in Company C,,?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Restrepo is supposedly worth watching, according to my troopers who have seen it thus far.

I'm also going to keep a lookout for 'Lebanon'. Apparently the entire movie is filmed within the tank, the outside world appears only through the periscopes.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A Bridge to far
    The Wild Geese
    Zulu
    Zulu Dawn
    Breaker Morant

Sure theres more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Restrepo is supposedly worth watching, according to my troopers who have seen it thus far.

I'm also going to keep a lookout for 'Lebanon'. Apparently the entire movie is filmed within the tank, the outside world appears only through the periscopes.

NTM

Restrepo and the book is by all accounts fantastic.

One of my favourite movies is Apocalypse Now,always one I can watch again and again.

And not so much a war movie,but its about the fight against terrorism,is "Body Of lies". Great movie so it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

It's already been mentioned, but The Battle of Algiers is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

City of Life And Death (Nanking Nanking) is a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

In my top ten would have to be

Gallipoli
    Saving private ryan
    Band of Brothers
    Dirty dozen
    Kelly's heroes

The thin red line and We were soldiers are in my humble opinion.....SHI TE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    The thin red line and We were soldiers are in my humble opinion.....SHI TE!!!

There is usually a divide on Thin Red Line, many people think its boring and indulgent, the rest think it's incredible.

Personally I go in and out of liking it.

It is certainly the kind of movie that you won'f forget having seen.

Overall it's a work of art in my opinion. Not something you would re-watch too often but it is an incredible piece of cinema, great ensemble acting & with a powerful lasting effect imo. The collection of characters including the desperate squad commander, the ammoral medal chaser, the man who has resorted to mutilating corpses and torture as well as the lost and men more afraid of letting each other down than of dying. Fantastic and even though the characters weave in and out of the story the impact of them stays with you throughout the movie. The footage of Japaneese pow's is almost perfectly mirrored to actual footage I have seen previously. Classic movie but not for everyone & you definitely need to have an attention span and to be able to handle a movie that slows the tempo way down in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

All quiet on the westren front

Stalingrad (was suposed to be THE war movie of the 90s, case said 70s had ..... 80s had das boot, 90s have stalingrad, compared to Saving private ryan, which was made later, some effects and editing seem commical, note english dubbed version is attrocious)

Downfall/ Der untergang is a must see

Longest Day

not just 20th century is it?
    i like Kingdom of heaven as well, and just because i seen it hundreds of times, Braveheart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Enemy at the Gates

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Sink the Bismark was also quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

My vote goes to Braveheart. I still shudder at what happened to Mel Gibson's character at the end. Too gruesome for words :(

Advertisement