Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Smackdown Sunday at the Point thoughts

• 13-11-2006 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Just back from the show and I think overall I'd give it a thumbs down. I just did n't get into the show like I did for the previous ones in Ireland.

I think the two biggest factors from my perspective was the endless stalling and the section that I was in being dead quiet which (only made the stalling even more annoying). I understand that this is a really long tour but I still expected a little bit more.

The negatives for me were:
    - the womans match
    - the Tatanka Hardy match (again my section was really quiet so maybe it was better in a livelier part of the Point but it just dragged on and on.)
    - the triple threat WWE title match. 20 minutes of stalling before the match and 10 minutes of actual wrestling. I wanted more Finlay.

The positives:

- Chris Benoit being Chris Benoit and having a good match with Chavo.
    - Batista tribute to Eddie
    -JBL, the guy can cut a promo.
    - the opener was fun.

Everything else was just okay for me. Nothing special. Again maybe my opinion is a little harsh because the section I was in was pretty quiet in comparison to most.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slamman

couldn't have put it better my self.I hope this means J.B.L is coming back to the ring as he is badly needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

tought it was ... i sat near the entrance of the wrestlers where there was spare seats instead of my seat 6 rows from ring.... did u know finley. teddy long. london nd more were watching the match from the place were the guy played the music nd hardly ne 1 noticed ....i met them.. pure sound nd guess what ???? Teddy actually says player wen he is talking ... said it 2 my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What did JBL say this time then?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Just his usual anti-Irish promo,loved the duelling chants last night,the kids in front of us I thought would start crying when we were cheering on Chavo,Kennedy etc. Anyways sick as a small hospital now,getting ready to check in to go to Raw later tonight (Buckfast and Guinness is a dangerous mix) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I agree that it was the worst show that they have had so far in Ireland.In a few of the matches-most notably the wwe championship, we saw so much "in and out of the ring" action before we saw any wrestling which when we did see lasted 10 minutes.
    However it was great to see the chavo and benoit match and listening to JBLs anti-irish slurs was highly entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭R.Rated

I have to say i really enjoyed the show the reaction Finley got was fantastic and the suprise when JBL came out was brilliant

R.Rated wrote:
    I have to say i really enjoyed the show the reaction Finley got was fantastic and the suprise when JBL came out was brilliant

have you gone to any of the previous shows that they have had here over the last 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

loved the duelling chants last night,the kids in front of us I thought would start crying when we were cheering on Chavo,Kennedy etc.
    You were cheering for Chavo?! That guy must be one of the worst promo cutters in the world! Seriously, I cringe everytime that guy talks. To make matters worse, he's now aligned with the woman with the most annoying voice in the world...Vicki Gurrero. Have to say, the two of them make me change the channel everytime they open their mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I think chavo is good. vicki does have an annoying voice. I was thinking maybe vicki should use her ass to knock someone out cold instead of the chair, it is hugh, out of control.

Anyway i did not go to the point. Ye keep saying there was a wwe title match, do you mean a world championship match or do they call it the wwe title on the road. Did'nt ric flair say once that the wwe title changes hands alot on the european tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

I found the undertakers match, so boring, was ready to go home, really sh#t, found JBL and Kennedy good, But the match,

Also the championship ,match, the all hail king booker thing drove me insane,

no impressed, was at the pervious two years, but think im done, not gonna go again,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

i've been to all the wwe shows here in recent years & have to say by far this is the worst i've been to. the opener with london & kendrick v james & stevens pure ..... muck [for lack of a usable word on boards]. london & kendrick can be quite entertaining but when you watch a routine of 3 chops of the top rope in a row, 10 arm drags & 3 hip tosses it's below average. the only saving grace was london hitting a code red [shooting star from the ground] i was left wondering during this match where was ashley. perhaps she could have taken away from the poor performance in the ring. as for the other matches of the night it's almost enough to make me listen to coach for 2 hours straight. the only mildly interesting part was the very end of the night when they set up the 3 on 2 match for tonight with jbl, booker & kennedy v the brothers of destruction. by the way anyone notice how much taker & kanes matches where similar with kennedy & power ranger ...whoops mean mvp acting scared & running to the outside of the ring for the first 10/15 mins of the matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Definitely the poorest show I’ve been to, I saw Smackdown 3 times last year but the novelty of seeing them last night for the first time in a year wore off a lot quicker.
    I've all the respect in the world for Undertaker, who wouldn’t have, but having him finish the night off and having the world title fight half way through the night was a bit of an anticlimax, they did the same thing last year one of the nights. Plus announcing that him and Kane will team the following night doesn’t do much to please the crowd already there.
    I also have no problem with King Booker getting the win in his match, but also having Finley lay Batista out a second time left him looking like a bit of a clown in my view and feck all for him to be celebrating the way he did when he finally got up. I can understand Booker winning and Finley saving face on home soil, but they could’ve at least thrown someone to the animal for a Batista Bomb (Like Regal), very disappointing.
    Plus no Lashley or Boogeyman who i both expected. I know Boogeyman is lucky to be on a roster with actual skilled wrestlers and would have been out for about 5 mins at most, but it wouldn’t lifted the crowd which was low at point I thought, plus my son and girlfriend really wanted to see him. Lashley would have been good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Am I not happy that I decided not to go and sold my tickets for face value. I was at all the smackdown shows so far. I thought that the one last year was crap, so I decided not to go this time round. :D

just wondering is raw/smackdown coming back in april . there is no sign of them coming back on the timetable on the back of the bags they gave out with the t-shirts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Any of you going to tonight's one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

I agree with most of the comments posted, atmosphere was non-exsistant and wrestlers looked tired and uninterested (a bit harsh with that one, but anyone there will understand) but the one thing that made it memorable for me was the 15-16?? year old who Bitch slapped Booker on the side of the head ,after Batista had slammed Booker off the barriers..PURE CLASS... :D LOL. Person beside me said, that was the hardest any of the wrestlers had been hit all night...

p.s. Anyone else think the Gregory Helms and Funaki match ended early?..seemed to be a lot of commotion between the Referee (Charles Robinson) and ring announcer (can never remember his name) at the end, maybe that added to the "stalling" before the title match.(just a thought, probably way off the mark with that one...:) )

The ring announcers name was Tony.ANother annoying thing was when king booker was making his entrance.Tony kept saying "please welcome..king booker" for about 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

"Undertaker in boring match shocker"

:)

the night got good reports from the wrestling web sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

the night got good reports from the wrestling web sites

Well I had a friend who was up at it and he said it was alright and wasn't really any worse or better than the other SmackDown! shows they've had in Dublin and he's been to them all! I hope tonight marks JBLs full time return to the ring, or is it just his way of a tribute to Eddie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Well just back from the monday show and TBH it was probably the best WWE show I've been to over here.

Heres how it went:
    - Chris Benoit and Gregory Helms started the event with a very solid match. The crowd were quite into it. Benoit picked up the win.
    - Tatanka beat Funaki in the second match. The crowd weren't that into this one but that was to be expected with who was wrestling.
    - Very entertaining third match between London/Kendrick and KC James/Idol Stevens. Everybody was into this one.
    - Chavo and Matt was another solid match like the Benoit match. Hardy won and afterwards Chavo gave a sort of tribute to Eddie.
    - Finlay Vs. Regal. At the beginning Regal came out to chants of 'you suck'. He retaliated with 'How can I possibly suck when I'm not Irish'. This of course prompted Finaly to come out. This match was more of a show than a wrestling match but was still entertaining none the less. The crowd went crazy for the little bastard.
    - Main Event: Batista/Kane/Undertaker Vs. JBL/Kennedy/Booker. Booker came out first and cut his usual 'I am the King of the Smackdown world' yada yada yada. He was followed by Kennedy who backed up Booker by just saying 'All hail King Booker' a couple of times. JBL then cameout and proceeded to offend the crowd for rougly 20 minutes. He was going on about how we 'worship a queen', how the Irish are 'dumb' etc, etc. He finished up by singing some american song. The wole time he was talking people were throwing all kinds of **** at him. Good sight. Anyways Kane Batista and Taker all came out to huge pops. The match was like a show again but again VERY entertaining. After Taker and co won the match JBL attempted his song again. Batista grabbed the mic off him and knocked hm down. After doing this he said 'You just got knocked the **** out!'
    All in all a great showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Sounds like it was a good show alright! Hopefully next time they'll send the RAW brand to Ireland! I'd love to see Triple H, Cena, Edge and Flair live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 yargle

just wondering is raw/smackdown coming back in april . there is no sign of them coming back on the timetable on the back of the bags they gave out with the t-shirts

were there uk dates for 07?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

JeanClaude wrote:

p.s. Anyone else think the Gregory Helms and Funaki match ended early?..seemed to be a lot of commotion between the Referee (Charles Robinson) and ring announcer (can never remember his name) at the end, maybe that added to the "stalling" before the title match.(just a thought, probably way off the mark with that one...:) )

No the stall was so that the brought little bastard down, with a black thing over him, that what the stall was all about,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Went to both shows, thought the first night was decent enough and the second night was unreal! Main event was awesome, the heels at the start were very good!! Weird to see jbl in the ring again....no wonder he kept the t-shirt on the whole time!!

Thought it was pretty stupid when people started throwing bottles and bouncy balls at jbl, kennedy, booker and even sharmell in the ring...fair play to them though they played it off!

Is there any irish dates set for next year . on wwe worldwide it only says countrys like england. italy.germany.. danmm i was really looking forward to going . has aiken said anything about it ????:D

Is there any irish dates set for next year . on wwe worldwide it only says countrys like england. italy.germany.. danmm i was really looking forward to going . has aiken said anything about it ????:D
    I would be fairly sure that they will come over here again by next summer......they get a huge ticket sales everytime they come over here and they might aswell stop here for a day or two before heading to england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 y2j rebel

I though the show was very good, I have been to most and I have to say , I enjoyed this one the best. The only pity was that ecw was touring with smackdown for all other european shows except in Dublin and a couple of the good wrestlers on smackdown have gone to raw, like elijah burke, lashley and terakay

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I've been to the previous sd tours and decided not to go to this one. although if they are bringing raw over i will definately go. main reason is to see Jeff Hardy. If they don't bring wwe over for the revenge tour they will probably bring it back this time next year.Please be Raw

• Advertisement
Advertisement