Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polybond and Paint

Options
  • 13-11-2006 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I offered to give a friend a hand to paint some rooms in his new house. On inspection I find that he has polybonded the newly plastered walls in the bathroom as an "expert" advised him.

What is the fix for this? Do I have to remove the polybond from the wall before painting? Light sandpaper, soapy sponge etc.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Polybond is fine , just paint over it.
    I was advised to use it over new plasterboard by professional painters as it reduces the porosity of the wall and allows paint to stick much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thanks CJ. It's just that I would normally just use a thinned out emulsion as a base coat on new plastered walls.

I've been told by professionals never to use polybond under paint so even the experts can't agree.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

squire1 wrote:
    Thanks CJ. It's just that I would normally just use a thinned out emulsion as a base coat on new plastered walls.

I've been told by professionals never to use polybond under paint so even the experts can't agree.:rolleyes:

Who says the ones who said polybond walls before painting are experts? I'd go with watered down emulsion everytime,and that opinion is from a qualified painter.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Polybond on new skimcoat = waste of time and money

You need an extra coat of paint to obliterate the walls anyhow

It will likely lead to trouble on down the road as PVA leaves a shiny finish that emulsion won't adhere to properly; any scuffs or knocks are liable to result in the paint chippping back to the skimcoat/PVA

Any painter worth hheir salt wouldn't go to a bare plaster wall and fire on a coat of sheened finish....so why would they apply PVA, which is essentialy the binder that all sheened emulsions partly consist of?
    Thinned out matt every time: kill the bareness, seal the wall and provide a sound substrate for any type of finish.

[edit] to answer the OP, light sanding (with a pad/sponge) to break the sheen and provide some key.
    Personally I'd apply a coat of straight matt in the finish colour before applying 2 coats of your chosen finish (or perhaps 1 coat if a matt finish is what she wants)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thanks Wertz, thats what I was after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement