Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electoral register?

Options
  • 13-11-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question (before I ring the council...) (mods, please move if this is not in the right forum!): I know for sure that I am on the electoral register (for all the good it does being a foreigner and not allowed to vote in national elections...), I sent off a form, and a lady dropped by some time ago to checked that my details were right - I went to check the register online this morning (www.checktheregister.ie), and it could not find my details...

Does it take some time for them to update the thing? Can I safely assume that I'm on it even though the online version cannot find me? Or do I have to submit the forms again?

Any info appreciated (before I spend hours in the council phone queue...)

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I would say you are fine if one of the election officials called and confirmed you are on the register. Though I've just checked myself and I am coming up on that system. Try leaving out your house/apartment number, it doesn't have mine, just the street.

Also just discovered I haven't been removed from the register at home yet, two votes! I feel all Sinn Fein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

galah wrote:
    Hi all,

quick question (before I ring the council...) (mods, please move if this is not in the right forum!): I know for sure that I am on the electoral register (for all the good it does being a foreigner and not allowed to vote in national elections...), I sent off a form, and a lady dropped by some time ago to checked that my details were right - I went to check the register online this morning (www.checktheregister.ie), and it could not find my details...

Does it take some time for them to update the thing? Can I safely assume that I'm on it even though the online version cannot find me? Or do I have to submit the forms again?

Any info appreciated (before I spend hours in the council phone queue...)

Cheers
    galah

Same thing happened to me. Girl came round at home ~3 months ago said she'd put me on the register. I'm not there now after checking above site. I don't trust the Dept of Environment doing this they're absolute bunglers. They had our home address spelt wrong and when I went to download the form it wouldn't let me. I'm going into the Gaurds this week and getting the form stamped again and sending it off just to be sure. They have removed people though cos my dead grandfather was on it up until the girl from the council came around. As I said I don't trust them to do it properly so I'm going to do it myself and shag it if I'm on it twice.
    I wonder if anybody else who's name was added when the council people came around is actually on that register?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I haven't yet found my name, I'm going to submit the form just to be sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

upstairs somewhere in County buildings prospect hill is where they maintain the registers for Galway East and Galway West.

actually I mentione dthis to someone who entered his name and stuff and got no result.

SO! he rings that number on the Galway County Council checker page

SO! they found him straight away on the database, all details correct.

SO! The county Galway web checker is borked and has been for some time is what he was told, better ring them or go in if you wish to check/amend/add details .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Rang them, got myself sorted.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    actually I mentione dthis to someone who entered his name and stuff and got no result.

SO! he rings that number on the Galway County Council checker page

SO! they found him straight away on the database, all details correct.

SO! The county Galway web checker is borked and has been for some time is what he was told, better ring them or go in if you wish to check/amend/add details .

God these people are incompetent. Launch a huge advertising campaign to get everybody to check the register online then we find out nobodies actually updated the register. And we let these people run the country. I tell ya if I ever manage to get myself onto the register I'm voting them out.

kevmy wrote:
    God these people are incompetent. Launch a huge advertising campaign to get everybody to check the register online then we find out nobodies actually updated the register.

The REGISTER IS 'up to date' , yer man had changed addy in June and told them and it checked out , but THIS UP TO DATE REGISTER is NOT ONLINE IN GALWAY like the Ad said it was. In fact no register of any kind is online in Galway.

Seems like its the bleedin county councils fault if you ask me.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The REGISTER IS 'up to date' , yer man had changed addy in June and told them and it checked out , but THIS UP TO DATE REGISTER is NOT ONLINE IN GALWAY like the Ad said it was. In fact no register of any kind is online in Galway.

Okay thats what I meant. But I still maintain that it wouldn't be to hard for somebody in the Dept of Environment to ring up all the County Councils and ask them if they have an up to date register available to be put online. Take about ten minutes if ya ask me. They could at least warn people on the website then which ones are up to date and which ones aren't. The Mayo one doesn't appear to be up to date either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The city council register seems to be up to date a woman came around a few months ago to my new address and added me, and it's up on the web page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement