Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP keeps disconnecting my broadband - Need advice

Options
  • 13-11-2006 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all,

I in the past 10 days my ISP has disconnected my broadband on two occassions without notice and only after lengthly phonecalls have i been able to reestablish service.

Here is a summary of my problem.

I am using a cable modem with a wan IP in the range 83.220.195.xxx which is connected to linksys router which is use for my home lan,( i have two machines home desktop and worklap top) . I've set up 2 static LAN ips in the range 192.168.x.x.

The ISP is saying that there are multiple WAN IPs being broadcast from my router's MAC Address, to "banned IP's, some of the banned ip's are not even on my cable modems subnet he gave me one address 83.220.194.xxx

I can setup my home network ok but this stuff of Ip spoofing from my mac address is beyond me, can anyone shed any light on whats happening? BTW, the ISP techie hasn't a clue either :-(

Thanks in advance
    Flop

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

flop wrote:
    Hi all,

I in the past 10 days my ISP has disconnected my broadband on two occassions without notice and only after lengthly phonecalls have i been able to reestablish service.

Here is a summary of my problem.

I am using a cable modem with a wan IP in the range 83.220.195.xxx which is connected to linksys router which is use for my home lan,( i have two machines home desktop and worklap top) . I've set up 2 static LAN ips in the range 192.168.x.x.

The ISP is saying that there are multiple WAN IPs being broadcast from my router's MAC Address, to "banned IP's, some of the banned ip's are not even on my cable modems subnet he gave me one address 83.220.194.xxx

I can setup my home network ok but this stuff of Ip spoofing from my mac address is beyond me, can anyone shed any light on whats happening? BTW, the ISP techie hasn't a clue either :-(

Thanks in advance
    Flop

NTL I presume? Is this a recently installed connection? I'm wondering if your MAC has been cloned on other cable modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

hi spear,

No i'm actually with Cablevision in dungarvan Co Waterford. I was wondering how does one close my MAC address, i noticed in my router settings that MAC cloning is disabled.

There is a MAC address clone option in my Linksys router settings but it's disabled.

Regards
    Flop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I assume you have checked for virus' spyware and malware on the two internal PC's?
    Kippy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its cablesurf I'll wager , it looks like you are broadcasting to the WRONG subnet there.

Your subnet mask on your WAN (the IP is correct) should be EITHER 255.255.255.255 OR 255.255.255.0

while I suspect its 255.255.0.0 OR 255.0.0.0 at present. I would have thought that Cablesurf set this on their modem actually and its nothing to do with you .

That'll fix it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

flop wrote:
    hi spear,

No i'm actually with Cablevision in dungarvan Co Waterford. I was wondering how does one close my MAC address, i noticed in my router settings that MAC cloning is disabled.

There is a MAC address clone option in my Linksys router settings but it's disabled.

Regards
    Flop

This was an issue on NTL whereby people were selling modems with MAC's copied from other users to allow them free access. I don't know how Cablevision's network works so best to forget my suggestion.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its cablesurf I'll wager , it looks like you are broadcasting to the WRONG subnet there.

Your subnet mask on your WAN (the IP is correct) should be EITHER 255.255.255.255 OR 255.255.255.0

while I suspect its 255.255.0.0 OR 255.0.0.0 at present. I would have thought that Cablesurf set this on their modem actually and its nothing to do with you .

That'll fix it :D

Hi Sponge Bob, yes the Subnet on my Modem is 255.255.255.0

Thanks
    Flop

kippy wrote:
    I assume you have checked for virus' spyware and malware on the two internal PC's?
    Kippy

Hi Kippy,

am using Outpost firewall with a rules set and NAV2006 so there are a few things being reported but no malware is getting through and i've also run the Microsoft Live one protection scanner and am clean as a whistle.

Regards
    Flop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try 255.255.255.255 instead maybe, or else cablesurf have a 255.255.0.0 somewhere their side on their DOCSIS agggregation for your IP.

Advertisement