Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Kilkenny

Options
  • 13-11-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone was aware of volunteering opportunities in Kilkenny. I've got one or two free nights a week, and I would really like to volunteer for a good cause.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I think that Volunteering Ireland is a mostly Dublin-based org actually. Volunteer Centres Ireland www.volunteer.ie is a network of local Volunteer Centres. There isn't one in Kilkenny unfortunately. The nearest one is in Carlow - www.volunteercarlow.ie. (Disclosure - I work there!!)

The Kilkenny Community & Voluntary Forum should have a list of all the local voluntary groups in the area. They don't seem to have a website but I got this email address: kkcommunityforum@eircom.net

I have recently signed up to do some Adult Literacy Tutoring with Word Aid. Phone 056 7763149. We're getting near the end of our training course now and its all been pretty enjoyable so far. Hope I will be as positive once I actually start tutoring! I don't know when they will be running their next training course but if you are interested, give them a call.

Keep an eye in the local papers for organisations advertising for volunteers. Also the Citizens Information Centre often have notices up about this.

Hope you find something you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I've been with Word Aid around 11 years now . Have a library of woorksheets etc if ever any use to you Ms Fifers. Can recommend it as a great use of free time definitely.

Also was a Civil Defence instructor up to few years ago- had some great times, but the organisations eems to have disintegrated these days.

Samaritans are actively looking for volunters, but personally I have difficulty with their philosophy/methodology (e.g. nondirective at all times, the suggestion its "completley confidential" while records are kept etc.

you could also try youth groups, scouts etc - if not as a leader then maybe occasionally sharing a skill you have etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks Hmm-Messiah! Sorry - I havent checked back here in a while, but I do appreciate your kind offer of worksheets!
    I might need to get back to you once I start tutoring.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NewYorkJoe

The Fr McGrath Center on Josephs Road in the Butts is often looking for people to volunteer for their after school program.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 needvolunteers

i work for Irish girl guides and am always looking for volunteers. From leaders who are willing to run or help run weekly meetings to young leaders of 15 + who come to help weekly. If you or anyone is interested please contact me. ficondron@yahoo.ie:p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vegasbabe

Hi there, Savour Kilkenny Food Festival that takes place from 22nd-25th Oct are looking for volunteers over that weekend.
    Email liaison@savourkilkenny.com for more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The Kilkenny Talking Newspaper for the blind are always in need of volunteers (a Wednesday morning or night every four weeks or so). judith.martin@ncbi.ie

Advertisement