Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty on DVDs

Options
  • 13-11-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I bought the James bond Dvd collection on ebay for 70euro and it was delivered this morning with a request from the an post guy to pay 30 euro import duty or tax or whatever it is because the customs requested it - why did I have to pay this on dvd's ? Can anybody help me on this one ??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say youre paying on weight etc, they come from the US I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭genfoley

Thanks for the reply - They came from Japan.......if it was weight though it means the seller didnt pay enough postage whereas the post guy said it was customs duty......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

genfoley wrote:
    Thanks for the reply - They came from Japan.......if it was weight though it means the seller didnt pay enough postage whereas the post guy said it was customs duty......

Its going to be a customs charge, it doesn't matter if your buying DVD's, t-shirts or digital camera's, odds are you'll be charged it.

Its nothing to do with seller not spenting enough as they are not responsible for custom charges they may be applied in the destination country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Charges are levied on product from outside the EU with a value over €50 - can be levied on smaller amounts but rarely happens.

They are levied as follows

Cost of item = X
    Postage charge = Y
    Duty = relevant duty rate applied to the total of X + Y
    VAT @ 21% is applied to Total cost of X + Y + Duty.

Then a €5 customs declaration charge for the paper work.

So €70 + postage = probably €80. Duty @ 8% (I think) = €6.40, Vat @ 21% of €86.40 = €18 (approx) + €5 charge.

total €29.40.

If buying from any EU country none of above applies.

Advertisement