Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Questions.....

Options
  • 13-11-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm on NTL myself, but a relative is looking at Eircom, and I don't know much about it.

There's three packages that stand out

3Mb "Broadband Home Professional"
    3Mb "Broadband Business Starter"
    4Mb "Broadband Business Plus"

Can someone tell me what brand & model modem/router comes with these packages? It only says "wifi modem"

On the BB Plus, it says you can give 4 employees access to the internet. Surely it's only a matter of putting in a switch to give access to 5+ computers? Or is there something set in the free router to only give out 4 DHCP IP Addresses?

BB Plus also mentions something about a "free pocket modem". Whats that? a wifi PCMCIA card?

Appreciate any info.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There a foolish people giving access to 35 students via one 3mbps connection.
    Never seen any thing odd in the Netopia ethernet only router or WiFi+ethernet router. You can of course use ANY ADSL router you buy.

So limit is typically 253 addresses/ PCs. How many can actually use connection at once depends on type of usuage. More than 5 people, get your own mail server inside on LAN will reduce traffic and allow "eat excutables" rules to be centrally implemented. MDaemon is probabily better than Exchange server and much cheaper and easier to maintain for most small offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The standard Netopia router provided has 4 LAN sockets, which probably explains the BB Plus reference - you can share 4 "out of the box"; but as watty says, you can easily buy a replacement or use a wireless version to get up to 253 computers online.

Advertisement