Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card authourisation

Options
  • 13-11-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

If a online shop does a pre-auth on your card and reserves money and does not post the transaction, when does the pre auth expire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

presume it doesn't expire until you ask them to cancel it, or you make a transaction, or your card expires.

> moved to consumer issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Depends on the company.

I have pre-auth capability on machines in Special Days for web orders and the limit is 7 days when it is automatically cancelled. Hotels & others can have other limits.

A customer has the right to contact their CC issuer and have the pre-auth cancelled. - It will come up on an end of day report the webstore receives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3v tell me you can't remove a pre-auth and that you must allow it come off itself.
    A merchant has cancelled a transaction but the funds have not been returned to my Voucher - why?
    When you buy goods or services using a credit or debit card, the merchant will reserve the funds for the transaction for a short time - they do this so that you cannot use those funds to buy other goods or services while they prepare your order. When they do dispatch the goods or services, they settle the transaction by collecting the money from your VISA account.

If your order is cancelled, most merchants will leave the funds marked as reserved. The funds will be returned to your VISA account automatically 7 to 10 calendar days after they were first reserved and your available balance will increase but during that time, the funds are not available to use.

Advertisement