Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loud buzzing when charging Dell laptop?

• 13-11-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Was charging my Dell 640m laptop on Saturday and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the battery. Its a 9 cell battery and i guess where i was charging it was very quiet so probably would not have noticed or paid must attention to this before but im just wondering it this is normal or has anyone else experienced the same? Oh and the laptop was powered down at the time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bizarre.

Does the sound eminate directly from the battery, or is it from the speakers? If it is from the speakers, it may suggest some kind of electrical interference. If it is from the laptop, I'd say it would need to be replaced. How old is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

no its coming from the back of the laptop where the battery is. its only 2 months old...if even!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would take the battery out and have a look to see if any of the copper/metal connection points are dirty. then stick it back in and make sure it is secure. may not be seated right or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I know this is a bit old, but have you check the battery model to see if it is part of the recalled sony batch
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/batteryrecall/en/main?c=ie&l=en&s=gen

Sometimes you can hear a slight buzz from electronics but it shouidn't be so loud that you notice it, might be a faulty component in the charge circuit, in which case you'll need to get on to dell to get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I have a 640m with a 9 cell and its silent when charging. I think I'd get back on to Dell. Especially about battery problems? How long do you get out of your battery BTW? Mine does 5-6 hours. Which I thought it quite good for such a cheap laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnyvee

This is more of a solution than a problem - good news !! Found that the audio on the headphone output buzzed while charging. This was due - so I discovered - to a conflict in grounds between my laptop and the amplifier I was feeding. As the charger was made of plastic and therfore perfectly safe to do so, I cut off the mains plug, disconnected the earth wire and then wired in a new mains plug (minus the earth lead) Please note : for safety reasons please make sure the old earth wire to the laptop does not come in contact with the live or the nuetral on the plug. If this is of any help to any one please let me know ;)

Advertisement