Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just got pulled over by the Guards, please help

Options
  • 13-11-2006 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I was just driving home from college there and I forgot to put my seatbelt on. A garda told me to pull over. Took my licence(provisional) went to the back of my car for a while(im guessing to take my reg) than gave me back my licence told me his name and told me to go.

What happens now? Will I get penalty points and/or pay a fine? Will i be notified? I read online that if you dont pay an fee of €90 within a month you are summoned to court. Im very confused. Suggestions would be very helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say it's in the post. You could try contacting his station and ask the question.

You'll get good advice here too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=10&f=47

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

You'll get notification in the post, you usually have the set amount of days to pay the fine from the time the notification is received (I thought it was 28 days but could be more??). Then the points will be added to your licence once you pay the fine.

Failure to pay the fine within the 1st set period (28 or 90 days) will result in the fine being increased (doubled if I'm not mistaken). Failure to pay beyond that will result in a court date where your points tally and fine may be increased.

Just sit tight and wait for notification :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 2981-awny

How much do you think my insurance will go up by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

2981-awny wrote:
    What happens now? Will I get penalty points and/or pay a fine? Will i be notified? I read online that if you dont pay an fee of €90 within a month you are summoned to court. Im very confused. Suggestions would be very helpful.

You will recieve notification in the post. you know its coming and you can put money aside. Unfortunately an expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yeah you definitely got penalty points. Have a look on the Penalty Points site for more details.

As far as I know the fee is only €60, but don't hold me to that. As long as you pay the fine once it comes in the post, that should be all you have to do.

[edit]Some insurance policies allow for up to 2 penalty points without it affecting your premiums. With so many people getting points for speeding it makes sense to have something like this. AFAIK it's up to you to inform your insurance company, the gardai won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well done Garda, they seem to be stamping down on this with the recent thread on here with the driver pulled for using the mobile. About time.

Just out of interest where you supposed to have a full license driver with you as you are a provisional driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You will have 28 days from the date of the notice to pay the fine. Points will not be notified for 4-6 months ( my own experience) so you do not have to notify your insurance company until you actually have points. As posted many companies will not penalise people for 2 points. It had no effect on my insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If you only have two points it shouldn't affect your insurance. It will take up to six weeks to get the notification in the post and you have a few weeks to pay it. You don't need to do anything until then. Your points probably won't come into effect until a few weeks after you have paid the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well done Garda, they seem to be stamping down on this with the recent thread on here with the driver pulled for using the mobile. About time.

Just out of interest where you supposed to have a full license driver with you as you are a provisional driver?

Doesn't sound like he was very professional about it though if he didnt bother explaining the situation and left the OP in confusion about what's going to happen.

In the UK, the traffic police always give you the courtesy of explaining why you were pulled over and whats going to happen next. They don't treat you like
    something they stood in just because you've committed a driving offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I got a ticket before for speeding. However you are issued an actual ticket into your hand, if this Garda was giving you a ticket he should have done so.

Chances are you are on a first provisional he saw that you where, realised he should really instruct you to get out and walk. Took pity on you/hated paperwork and sent you on your way.

Otherwise the postie will let you know.

Two pionts are not a insurance killer , I dont know if they count more at your age.

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote:
    Doesn't sound like he was very professional about it though if he didnt bother explaining the situation and left the OP in confusion about what's going to happen.

In the UK, the traffic police always give you the courtesy of explaining why you were pulled over and whats going to happen next. They don't treat you like
    something they stood in just because you've committed a driving offense.

He knows its for driving without belt so this was explained. Bet alot more was explained but of course this will be left out cause it wsa the big bad garda taking advantage of the poor young driver. Why using the UK cops as a guide is beyond me as they are notorious for been brutal but sure they aint Irish so they are 10 times better. Sure they are great, they leave Irish sitting in jail for years when they know they are innocent. Great police force alright!!!

Everything now is loaded onto a PDA byt the Garda and you dont get a written ticket to cut down on the paper work like someone else suggested here. If this person is a provisional driver then they should know the rules and have a fair idea of points etc. As seen but this post he doesn't know he/she should wear a seat belt and doesn't know what happens when they get stopped. Looks to me that he/she doesnt know enough to be allowed on the road in the first place

This should also be in the motors forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Happened me last year i got pulled for no seatbelt, i was just leaving one building in an industrial est and entering another - but anyway he took my reg etc and said i would get €80 and 2 points.

A year on and i have received nothing!

And with 2 points your insurance wont go up. Its usually 4 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Big Nelly wrote:
    He knows its for driving without belt so this was explained. Bet alot more was explained but of course this will be left out cause it wsa the big bad garda taking advantage of the poor young driver.

Why using the UK cops as a guide is beyond me as they are notorious for been brutal but sure they aint Irish so they are 10 times better. Sure they are great, they leave Irish sitting in jail for years when they know they are innocent. Great police force alright!!!

First of all, the OP didnt post to give out about the Gardai, they apparently posted because they were confused as to what's going to happen to them. This is something the garda should have clarified.

I'm not even get into the silliness of mixing up the british police force with the british justice system. If you want to jump on that particular soapbox you can do so by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Doesn't seem right that he didn't explain what he pulled you for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Big Nelly wrote:
    He knows its for driving without belt so this was explained. Bet alot more was explained but of course this will be left out cause it wsa the big bad garda taking advantage of the poor young driver. Why using the UK cops as a guide is beyond me as they are notorious for been brutal but sure they aint Irish so they are 10 times better. Sure they are great, they leave Irish sitting in jail for years when they know they are innocent. Great police force alright!!!

wtf??????

Somebody has a lot of issues.

OP- You may or may not get a fixed penalty notice in the post. If you do pay the fine and the points should not affect your insurance, provided you don't add any more to them. It's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

aodhu wrote:
    Doesn't seem right that he didn't explain what he pulled you for!

This is a common, re-occurring theme on the Motors forum. Someone gets stopped for a usually minor offence, Garda mumbles something incomprehensible including the word 'caution' and then waves them on their merry way leaving them in doubt as to whether they're actually being 'done' for anything at all, but assuming that because it wasn't actually spelled out that they got away with it. Then, x months down the line a nasty letter drops through the letterbox with a fine and penalty points.

Now, why is it so difficult for the Garda to just come out and tell them what the situation is and whats going to happen, like (dare I say it) they do not only in the UK, but in couple of other EU countries I've had experiences in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

G'luck mate. Hope you get away with it although I wouldn't worry too much though. You don't get asked about points until you change insurance company anyway. your supposed to inform them that you have points or they can null and void your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Sp@rtacus

He let you off the hook. If he didn't write you up for it there and then (and provide you with a copy of the ticket), he will not be pursuing the matter. The only exception to this would be if he wanted to pursue it by summons (which would be ridiculous, but he might resort to this if you got had got lippy or he just took a dislike to you etc). He would also have informed you that this was the course of action he intended pursuing.

Also, as funny as this will sound, do you recall if he was wearing his cap? A member must be wearing their cap with GS badge clearly displayed in order to hold himself out as a bona fide member authorised to discharge the duties of a member. It's a technicality, but I got pulled for driving without a belt about two years ago, and even though I explained very politely that I had just pulled out of a space 10 feet back (which incidentally the Garda saw me do!!) he still decided he was going to pursue it by summons. When I casually mentioned that I didnt think he was going to write me up considering afaik he couldnt do this without his cap, his face turned to thunder and he stomped off back to his car. They followed me for about 5 miles afterwards waiting for me to slip up on something. :rolleyes:

edit: Incidentally, you get notification of such things in 2-3 weeks, you then have 56 days from the date of notification to remit any fines levied lest they be doubled and once the fine is paid in full, the points attributable are added to your licence 3 months (it could be 2 months - not certain on this) later. The delay is to allow for appeal processes etc as once points are allotted its hard to remove them. A little loophole worht bearing in mind is, if you send a cheque for the cost of the fine plus €1, ie; €81, they must naturally refund you the €1 in due process. As long as you dont cash that €1 cheque, the financial transaction cannot be finalised and the poitns therefore cant be allotted. Shh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So THATS why undercover guards still wear their caps!

I remember some junior scumbag telling me when i was a kid that he was chased by a copper but he managed to knock his hat off so after that he couldnt arrest him. i think garlic and crosses might be worth a go too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

2981-awny wrote:
    I was just driving home from college there and I forgot to put my seatbelt on.

How can you forget to put your seatbelt on? Was your door open, too?

As regards the points, I don't understand why not wearing a seatbelt gets you points: you're only affecting yourself, particularly if you're in the car on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Sp@rtacus

Bambi wrote:
    So THATS why undercover guards still wear their caps!

Sorry, omitted the word UNIFORMED. Dont you think a uniformed garda should in fact be bedecked in their FULL uniform when on duty? If he collared you while wearing a feather boa and a cape, wouldnt you be a bit p|ssed off? Anyway, the GS code of conduct and members handbook says a uniformed member must wear the cap to write you up, so thats good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I've done it once or twice.

It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Slow coach wrote:
    As regards the points, I don't understand why not wearing a seatbelt gets you points: you're only affecting yourself, particularly if you're in the car on your own.

Somebody may hit you from behind and they probably won't wanna see you go through the windscreen at speed so it affects others alright.
    Spart@cus wrote:
    He let you off the hook. If he didn't write you up for it there and then (and provide you with a copy of the ticket), he will not be pursuing the matter.

Wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sp@rtacus wrote:
    He let you off the hook. If he didn't write you up for it there and then (and provide you with a copy of the ticket),

Spot on. No ticket means no points or fine.

Sp@rtacus wrote:
    He let you off the hook. If he didn't write you up for it there and then (and provide you with a copy of the ticket), he will not be pursuing the matter. The only exception to this would be if he wanted to pursue it by summons (which would be ridiculous, but he might resort to this if you got had got lippy or he just took a dislike to you etc). He would also have informed you that this was the course of action he intended pursuing.

Can you not read above, garda now do not have to give you a ticket. its entered into a PDA. Mate's wife got done for speeding, never got ticket off the garda and thought she was sorted. Few weeks later got the fine and points, its all automated. As I mentioned above!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You don't get always get the ticket on-the-spot these days, it's not 1980's anymore lads ;)

So, to summarize...
    Q: I was a dum-dum and didnt use my seatbelt and got pulled. What'll happen?
    A: You'll get points + fine, or he might let you off.

Simple really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Gardai justifying their excessive overtime pay picking the low hanging
    fruit again.

Funny how you rarely see them on country roads at 3 am on a Sunday morning.

jetsonx wrote:
    Gardai justifying their excessive overtime pay picking the low hanging
    fruit again.

Funny how you rarely see them on country roads at 3 am on a Sunday morning.

Wat a stupid comment, wat happen if he drives another 100 yards and hits something and flies thru the window then its the Garda fault cause he didnt pull him in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Sp@rtacus wrote:
    Sorry, omitted the word UNIFORMED. Dont you think a uniformed garda should in fact be bedecked in their FULL uniform when on duty? If he collared you while wearing a feather boa and a cape, wouldnt you be a bit p|ssed off? Anyway, the GS code of conduct and members handbook says a uniformed member must wear the cap to write you up, so thats good enough for me.

That is complete bullsh*t.

Advertisement