Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just got pulled over by the Guards, please help

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

You were on the original project?
    How does the loop hole work, then? Would it not be more believeable to send a cheque for 90 euro ( more like an honest mistake, like)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sp@rtacus; Are you an engineer from D4? You certainly sound pompous enough to be one.

Digweed was trying to pont out what could happen if a district office was to just return your cheque. He was also clearing up some other erroneous posts. If you prefer to live in a fictional world, then do so. He was just giving you facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shortballs

You might not get points. I got caught speeding about 4 months ago, the garda pulled me over nd took down anything that i said to him nd he said to me and i had to sign it. If the garda was going to do you he would have done this, gave you a ticket on the spot and he would have also asked you to produce your licence and insurance cert in a garda station of your choice. So i honestly dont think you are going to get points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

A garda does not have to request your insurance cert, if they wanted pulse would tell him the rough status of insurance.

Both times I've been stopped and fined, I was never asked for Insurance cert or to produce within 7 days. And no, you don't sign anything on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shortballs wrote:
    You might not get points. I got caught speeding about 4 months ago, the garda pulled me over nd took down anything that i said to him nd he said to me and i had to sign it. If the garda was going to do you he would have done this, gave you a ticket on the spot and he would have also asked you to produce your licence and insurance cert in a garda station of your choice. So i honestly dont think you are going to get points.
    So if a Guard catches you robbing a bank or shooting someone, he has to take a statement from you and get you to sign it otherwise you get off? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Savman wrote:
    So if a Guard catches you robbing a bank or shooting someone, he has to take a statement from you and get you to sign it otherwise you get off? :rolleyes:

they also need to stand on one leg and tap their left forefinger on their hats as they do all this.

a guard can issue a ticket if all he has is your number plate and a rough idea as to what offense you were commiting. in a world where an appeal can cost you even more money and possibly double the points you get, it's unlikely his word will be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

In September I had a head-on collision with another car that had swerved out in front of me. My wife was in the passenger seat and my two older kids (10 and 7) were in the back, all strapped up. If it hadn't been for the seat belts, we'd all be dead. I broke a rib and fractured my pelvis, my daughter (10) fractured her spine and suffered from internal bleeding in the stomach, my son had stomach injuries too and my wife had severe bruising to the chest, collar bone and pelvis. All these injuries were caused by seatbelts. Can you imagine the force that they stopped? I wouldn't even consider starting the car now until everyone's belted up.

Wow ! Sorry to hear that but glad you are all ok ! My father would never even start the car until we all belted up !

I think there is a lot of mis-information on this thread, AFAIK the newer PDA units do not give a printout. The OP was told he was stopped for no seatbelt. After that it is up to each individual to make themselves aware of the law of the land and the consequences of breaking it.

No explaination needed. A fine will arrive by post to the registered owner of the vehicle, that person has 28 days to fill in the details of whoever was driving and send the form back together with the cheque for the fine amount, assuming it was being driven by the person who owned the car. If the registered owner was not driving then he/she fills in the details of who was, and a new form is sent to that individual. That need to be filled in and the cheque sent off and 2 points will be applied !

If they do not recieve anything within 28 days then the registered owner has to pay a doubled fine and accept the points, or go to Court and explain why they didn't do as instructed and risk 4 points and another doubled fine !

Ask me how I know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Ok!
    How do you know?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

shortballs wrote:

Biggest pile of cr*p posted yet. No Garda has to ask you to sign anything. Either the Garda was pulling the piss out of you or you are just lying

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Droileen

They can summons you up to 6 months from the date they stopped you.

I was once stopped when I was driving a friend`s untaxed car (i was unaware).

The Guard never said anything to me but I was summoned & brought to court 6 months later.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Ok!
    How do you know?

............my wife was kind enough to help me find out the wqy the system work !!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

a guard not being professional , never , i just cant accpet that
    we all have to make a living and inspector plod was merley justifying his 40 k a yr , i mean its either that or try and make a drugs bust , now im just being silly
    i wouldny worry too much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As long as a member of the Garda Siochana identifies himself to you either through his ID or through his uniform he can arrest, detain or charge you. The hat loophole was closed in the 2005 or 2006 Act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Someone can correct me on this one but I dont think penalty points for not wearing seat belts effect Insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Garda hat is the best. Where do people hear those things? Its up there with black people getting free cars when then come in to the country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bradidup wrote:
    Someone can correct me on this one but I dont think penalty points for not wearing seat belts effect Insurance premiums.
    Insurance companys don't ask for a breakdown on how you got your points, what speed you were doing when caught or why you are dumb enough to 'forget' to put on a seatbelt.
    Points are points irrespective of how you get them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

lightening wrote:
    The Garda hat is the best. Where do people hear those things? Its up there with black people getting free cars when then come in to the country.

That is possibly the most ignorant comment i have ever read on boards, please tell me your joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

just read the post properly - and i unreservedly apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

No worries bo-bo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 roofrack

Hi,
    Earlier in this post someone wrote that if a garda does not issue you with a ticket you will not get a fine.

I was pulled over this morning for not wearing my seatbelt, the garda wrote down my name and address on what looked like a personal notebook and said I would get a fine in the post, but did not hand me anything at all.

Should he not have given me a ticket to prove I was stopped? I could have give him any name and address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Did you not have to show him your licence?
    I bet he took down your Reg, so it would be easy enough to track you down if you gave a false address. Of course the sort who might give a false address in that situation might also be the sort that's just stolen the car..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What about the name and address and photo on the driving license you had to show him?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Happened to me for making an illegal right hand turn the other day. There's absolutely no need to give ticket/take statement/sign anything/wear a hat etc etc.

The guard checks your license, I didn't have mine and had to present at the local station, and notes the reg'n of the vehicle. They'll also check your tax and insurance as a matter of course. Informs you of the offence you have committed and under what legislation the offence falls then lets you know the fines in the post.

The fine goes to the registered owner of the vehicle, if that person wasn't driving the vehicle they return the fine with notification of who was and the fine is reissued to the correct driver, if the subsequent fine is returned then the issuing guard becomes involved again to verify the identity of the driver.

When the fine arrives you have 28days to pay it, after that if you havn't paid it you have a subsequent 28days to pay a double fine, after that you have your day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Apart from normal practice about issuing fines in the post and early payment and all that is there an actual time period after the date of an alleged motoring offence beyond which a fixed penalty notice or a subsequent summons cannot be issued ? I have six months in my mind for some reason but someone might please enlighten me.

If six months is correct can the OP diary forward six months from the date of the stop and breathe a sigh of relief if nothing turns up after the six months anniversary date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got pulled over yesterday evening going to my girlfriends house. Basically what happened was I was going through a roundabout and I saw a police car coming the opposite way, I looked in my rear mirror and it had done a u-turn and was following me, i knew he was following me and kept looking at him in my mirror, then i was so pre-occupied looking in my rear mirror that an amber light came up in front, and by the time i saw it was red and just broke it as it was turning...and then he was straight up behind me with lights on.

Pulled over, asked me if i was drinking, took my name, address from me and wrote it into a notepad, also looked at my insurance and tax disks. Asked for my licence but i didn't have it with me. Never said anything about it. Told me I would get a fine, I asked how much? He said 80 Euro.

That was it. Am I definitely going to get busted? I wouldn't mind the fee but the registered owner of the vehicle is my dad and he'll cut my balls off. Literally. Like i'm ****ed.

Will I definitely get the fine do you think and when does it come so I can get the post before he does?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't points only get applied when you have a full licence, not a provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Nope, points can be applied to a provisional - couple of weeks ago I was informed of the expiration of some speeding points I acquired while on provisional. gf said she had heard also that transitioning from provisional to full license wipes clean your points, guess thats another urban myth ;)

as for the lad running a yellow light, that kinda sucks... dont think anyone can give you a definate answer for when, or even if a notice is gonna arrive. I reckon the bollicking from your dad is just deserved though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But if he was serious, would be not have asked me to present my (lost) drivers licence to the station???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

hard to say, Ive not been stopped by a guard... it might not be necessary, he might have forgotten, or some other reason, I cant really say. You say its 'lost'? He might have done you a favour not asking you to produce so, failure to do so is also a penalty point offence :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement