Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rattly engine

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I've got a '94 carina E. Tank of a car! There's been a bit of a rattle from the engine for a while now (i.e. at least a year). It's not loud, just high-pitched, persistant rattle. Does the timing belt need to be replaced or something? She's quite low mileage and has never been "rallied" in her time.

Any ideas would be most appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In fairness from that description it could be anything. You'll need to look for yourself and identify *where* in the engine bay the rattle is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JHMEG - kill that fupping sig! It breaks all the rulz.

As for your rattle, is it constant? worse when cold engine? Does it vary at all when driving along ie going round a bend quickly or driving over rough surface?

It could be anything form a slightly loose heat shield by the exhaust to a worn steering component or a tired water pump (though the latter is unlikely it would proberly have failed by now).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was gonna say inlet manifold

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do these cars have a timing chain?

If it's big mileage it could be worn tappets.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nope, belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

could be valve clearance - eoes it have mechanical or hydraulic tappets?
    also, check your oil level - you might need a top up

Advertisement