Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convalescent home information needed

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there's probably a better forum for this, but I can't find it - mods please move if appropriate.

I'm looking for sources of information on convalescent/nursing homes in the Dublin area. An elderly relative has recently been hospitalised while abroad, and will be repatriated shortly. From speaking to the doctors abroad, they will almost certainly need a few weeks convalescent care before they can be looked after at home. The insurance company will arrange for the flight and an amublance meet at Dublin airport, but say they can't do anything regarding nusring homes, which would have to go through his local GP. Which can't happen until his GP sees him after he gets home. Given that I imagine the flight will be quite strenuous, I'd rather have something arranged in advance if possible. I certainly don't believe his or our house would be appropriate, and the only alternative I can think of is a good quality hotel, though I imagine many might be alarmed at the prospect of admitting an elderly, ill patient delivered by ambulance.

I'd appreciate any info on nursing homes in Dublin, even a comprehensive list would be welcome. (The one I found on the VHI website before is currently unavailable.) Also any info on their admission procedure - do I need a GP referral, or is that just the insurance company's requirement? - I've no trouble paying for it myself it will speed things up. Are there any websites advising what to look for when choosing a convalescent home? Given that the length of stay could be anything from weeks to a couple of months, I want to make sure he'll be well looked after.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: As he will probably be transported home in the next few days, I'm under quite a bit of time pressure. I'd also book him into hospital for a night or two, if I could find a private hospital that doesn't require a GP referral.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

MOH wrote:
    I'm under quite a bit of time pressure. I'd also book him into hospital for a night or two, if I could find a private hospital that doesn't require a GP referral.

Your own GP or your relative's GP should be able to refer on the basis of the information you have, but are entitled to charge their consultation fee for making the phone call.

There is a list of most Irish hospitals with telephone numbers and contact details at http://www.hospitalsworldwide.com/hospitals.php?country=Ireland

The private and most public hospitals come right at the top of the list in Google if you go to http://www.google.ie/search?q=hospital+dublin

There are ratings supposedly by patients / relatives at http://www.ratemyhospital.ie/ although there aren't enough ratings and no guarantee of impartiality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If he is over 70, he has a medical card, and his GP is under contract to deal with his issues. The GP shouldn't necessarily need to actually see him, I wouldn't think. I am sure if you or the doctor giving the care ring the GP, he will sort you out.

Of course, that's the way it's supposed to work, it may not.

If it doesn't work, you'll probably need to contact the HSE and find a social worker to deal with the case.

Be persistent.

Advertisement