Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIRZOUND - any good?

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these:
    http://www.airzound.pl/en/

It seems like something that would be very handy. Might drop a hint to a family member that I'd like one for Xmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Haven't used 'em but I've heard a lot of good things about 'em online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I have one, but you need to keep them pumped up regularly, you don't get many 'toots' from a fill! Having said that you can have a lot of fun - they really do make some noise and scare the sh1t out of motorists/pedestrians.

Once the novelty wears off and you forget to pump the bloody thing, you always seem to find yourself out of air when a suitably deserving idiot needs a blast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Fun!

posluchaj.gif

posluchaj.gif

posluchaj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Will garages have any objection to refilling this yoke at their air pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd say so - do you know how much air costs these days?

• Advertisement

Morgan wrote:
    I'd say so - do you know how much air costs these days?
    It's not a question of cost. I've seen garages stopping people filling up air-filled toys and they normally have warning signs in relation to this. There is no point in buying this yoke if I'm not going to be able to refill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I doubt it, I pump up my bike tyres at garages all the time and have never had anyone say anything to me. I think in _most_ cases the signs stating "car tyres only" are more just to cover the garage's ass in case someone blows something up with their air pump. Besides I believe you can refill it with a standard bike pump anyway.

And does any know if they are legal? I vaguely recall seeing the text from the Act or SI regarding bells on bikes, and it seemed to exclude pretty much anything other than a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

S.I. No. 138 of 1996.

Search for it here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/front.html

My reading of it is that you may use a bell on an appropriate bicycle but you're not restricted to using a bell and nothing else. You couldn't use the Airzound if it's "a gong, siren or other strident-toned device". But if it sounds like a car horn then I can't see what the problem would be.

(As an aside, apparently you can't use a bell on a bike capable of "exceeding 24 miles per hour on a dry level road under normal atmospheric conditions". So you speedsters out there will have to get horns. Honk honk :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blorg wrote:
    I doubt it, I pump up my bike tyres at garages all the time and have never had anyone say anything to me. I think in _most_ cases the signs stating "car tyres only" are more just to cover the garage's ass in case someone blows something up with their air pump. .
    I have seen those signs too. If I am getting ready to pump the bike and a car pulls up I would let them go ahead before me, I think it is fair since they are usually getting petrol too. If I was confronted I would say that I buy petrol there all the time. Becareful doing tyres, I have reinflated some totally flat repaired tubes, only to see a huge bubble sticking out the side where it was not put in correctly. I always semi inflate, then deflate the tyre, so it sorts out any twists inside.

As for the laws!, most cops are totally ignorant of laws that do matter, so I wouldnt worry about obscure laws like these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement