Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5-series or 7-series - feasibility?

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Thinking importing a 5- or 7-series BMW from the UK for private sale in Ireland. I wonder if someone would buy such an expensive car privately, or would they demand a dealer? I know the market for a 7-series is much smaller than that for a 5-series - might be better off just flogging the 5-series cars... It's a trade-off situation I guess, but would love to hear other people's opinions.

I can set up a company if necessary, and I can drive any EU car with my insurance policy. I also heard one can transfer a UK BMW warranty to an Irish BMW warranty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

First question is: Do you know enough about cars to be able to tell a good one from a cut-and-shut/clocked/crashed/stolen one?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How old/what model 5 or 7 series?
    After VRT there may not be much in it for a buyers perspective as you will not be in a position to offer a warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Would'nt recomend doing this unless you have a soild contact, most people want a run of the mill cars ( Nissan's Opel's and Toyota's ) because of the cost of fuel road tax, and this new legislation coming in to tax cars over 2lt would'nt make financial sense.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You'll probably buy a seven series BMW as cheap in Ireland as you will in the U.K. tbh as there isn't as much demand for them here secondhand. The seven is a fine car but its a bit of a barge compared to the five series. I've had various models of both the seven series and the five series and I prefer the five series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

and this new legislation coming in to tax cars over 2lt would'nt make financial sense
    Eh, what's this then? Googled it and can't find anything, is this a definite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Better off sticking too cars which are in big demand here, eg VW Golf, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla to import, you will easily sell 3 or 4 of these cars in the space it will take to sell one BMW 5 or 7 Series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Better off sticking too cars which are in big demand here, eg VW Golf, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla to import, you will easily sell 3 or 4 of these cars in the space it will take to sell one BMW 5 or 7 Series.

The 5 series BMW sells well enough tbh as long as its the right model with the right spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would say there is more demand in Ireland for high spec 4 cylinder petrol/diesel BMW 3 Series' and Audi A4s. These sell for slightly more than a Mondeo in the UK. There are more to choose from and the margin might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    I would say there is more demand in Ireland for high spec 4 cylinder petrol/diesel BMW 3 Series' and Audi A4s. These sell for slightly more than a Mondeo in the UK. There are more to choose from and the margin might be better.

Agreed. And BMW 3-series over 2 / 3 years old can have a very nice spec too compared to Irish cars, which used to be poverty spec until BMW bought back the distributorship

There's practically no demand for 7-series in Ireland new or second hand. As for the 5-series - it is a buyers market out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd stick with 3's or high spec 520's or 525's.

Also, I don't think you can transfer the BMW warranty from Britain to Ireland. I may, as ever, be wrong.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    I'd stick with 3's or high spec 520's or 525's.

Also, I don't think you can transfer the BMW warranty from Britain to Ireland. I may, as ever, be wrong.

Afaik an EU directive introduced a couple of years ago means that the manufacturer's warranty is valid across all member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Volvoboy wrote:
    this new legislation coming in to tax cars over 2lt would'nt make financial sense

Do anybody have any more information on this. It's the first i heard of it. FFS we pay enough road tax as is..

gafarrell wrote:
    Do anybody have any more information on this. It's the first i heard of it. FFS we pay enough road tax as is..

I think he is thinking of VRT being @30% on cars with engines of 2.0 litre or greater as oppossed to 25% on cars with smaller engines.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bazz26 wrote:
    I think he is thinking of VRT being @30% on cars with engines of 2.0 litre or greater as oppossed to 25% on cars with smaller engines.
    its 30% on 1.9L upwards, not 2l
    http://www.revenue.ie/services/bus_cust5.htm
    (there is also a 22.5% rate for below 1.4L)

Advertisement