Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service Indicator on Passat

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I had the rear brake pads changed recently by Fast Fit.

The service indicator started showing straight away when this was done.

I assumed this was because the work was carried out by a non VAG dealer.

Would this be a reasonable assumption to make?

Car is not due a service for 13,000 miles or nine months. Manual says indicator comes up if the car needs a service early due to your driving style. Hardly that early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My guess is that it's just coincidence. I don't think the rear pads on a Passat have sensors (assuming it's the 2002 in your sig).

It could be that when you last had it serviced the garage reset the service interval display for standard servicing rather than longlife servicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

That service indicator just goes off every 10K miles AFAIK. There should be a little guide in the manual on how to reset it. It's a fairly simple sequence with the clock button and the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The trick in the manual doesn't work.

It says to:
    1) Ensure ignition is off and hold
    2) Press trip meter rest button
    3) Turn Clock button to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Got it this evening. They forgot to mention turning the ignition on after you press the trip counter button. Found that on another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ballooba wrote:
    The trick in the manual doesn't work.

It says to:
    1) Ensure ignition is off and hold
    2) Press trip meter rest button
    3) Turn Clock button to the right

Resetting in this manner only resets to a 10k (miles) service interval - most likely this is what happened in the first place. In order to reset to longlife intervals a diagnosis computer must be used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement