Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDip In The UK

• 13-11-2006 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Looking at doing a hdip in the UK. I have a Bachelor of Arts with history and sociology as my subjects. The points for the Irish hdip colleges are too high and i heard that it's easier to get a hdip in the UK.

Does anyone know how you apply or where you can find information? Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ateam wrote:
    Looking at doing a hdip in the UK. I have a Bachelor of Arts with history and sociology as my subjects. The points for the Irish hdip colleges are too high and i heard that it's easier to get a hdip in the UK.

Does anyone know how you apply or where you can find information? Thanks..

http://www.gttr.ac.uk UK's Graduate teacher training website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Looking to do a hdip in history in Manchester. Anyone ever done it? Any general advice you could give me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Apply. I did. I got. I done. I passed.
    Different subject though.
    It's bums on seats here...............If you have the dosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

The UK PGDE is in high demand, but still much easier to get into.

Your entrance will be based on your appliation via GTTR, references* and an interview - so be prepared to have to fly over for that.

The interviews are usually pretty straightforward: current teaching issues, why you think you'd be good at teaching, how you'd manage the stress of the course etc.

I trained in Scotland and here we're given a first year of employment with a reduced timetable to get your head round things. So you're guaranteed a years work. In England there are more jobs, but you have to find them yourself and manage pretty much instantly.
    You also have the choice of earning and extra £6K in Scotland by allowing the teaching council to place you anywhere for your first year. This could mean you end up on an island or somewhere quite remote but it's good for people who have no ties.

* Likely from college lecturers, but employers if you've worked with young people or in a school, you can get a reference from those too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Its not that hard to get into Irish dips - you get extra points for teaching hours so if you had some subbing etc and have an honours degree you should get in.

Having said that I turned down the dip at UCC to do the PGCE in Swansea. It would have cost me something like €4500 in fees to do it in Cork. They are paying me to do it over here.

If you doing a PGCE in a shortage subject you get a bursary. I am getting over a thousand euro a month a more bonuses when I finish. Its paying my living expenses which I could have added to the cost of doing the dip in Cork. There are loads of Irish on the course from all over. Whe have a gang to go to the matches and all (Go on Munster!!!)

The minus side is trying to get registered with the Teaching Council (I'm basing this on what I;ve heard, I haven't tried yet).

There are no exams and most of the year is spent in the school. To be fully qualified in the UK you have to do an 'induction year' - similar to what you have to do after a Bed in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

wingnut wrote:
    The minus side is trying to get registered with the Teaching Council (I'm basing this on what I;ve heard, I haven't tried yet).
    If you complete your induction year in the UK then it is easier. You then apply under the European professional recognition directive. Having full registration in one country, regardless of which, makes job-seeking easier than applying as non-registered.
    wingnut wrote:
    There are no exams and most of the year is spent in the school. To be fully qualified in the UK you have to do an 'induction year' - similar to what you have to do after a Bed in Ireland.
    Do you not have to do a Probationary/Induction/Dip Year after a H Dip?

I thought you were observed a couple of times at least in the 9 months after your teacher training graduation, regardless of being Bed or Hdip?

Advertisement