Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope for Tactical

Options
  • 13-11-2006 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

have my .223 tactical a few months now,have a BSA 3.5 X 10 X50 scope on it but want to get something better say a leupold mil dot,at present i am shooting out as far as 285 yards and enjoying it but of course wind and elevation is a major factor,so this type of new scope is the way foward i pressume,am i on the right course,anyone got ideas for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

whats your budget ????

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Buy cheap and you buy twice!

Go for a Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski - approx. 1,500.
    Swarovski do a 6-24 costs about £900STG. (my first choice for long range)

or Nightforce which is up to x32 - around 1,800 i think.

If you can't afford it now wait until you can, you won't ever regret buying the best and will have it for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

nightforce 8x32x56 ladder ret would be my first choice €1800 ish. but i heard about these recently. seems they are a rising star with some of the units in iraq $1500 US dollars http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There's a school of thought that states that you should spend as much as you can afford on the scope, and use the change to hang a rifle under it.

I have the 8-32x56 Nightforce NXS dfaf mentions, and it's nothing short of wonderful. As he says though, there'd be no change out of €2000 by the time you fit a set of mounts under it.

While it might seem ludicrous for what appears to be a bit of black pipe with coke bottle bottoms stuck in the ends, I'd strongly suggest budgeting at least as much for the scope as for the rifle. Good quality glass will last a lifetime, and will hold its value much better than 'budget' stuff.

Here's an interesting article on the subject-
    http://demigod.org/~zak/firearms/lr_optics.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im looking at one of these ATM, plan would be to move it from my .223 to a .308 at some stage.

Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T Ilum

May even go for the Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T Ilum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 zaitsev

Looking for a scope for my new 223 would love any of the mentioned scopes a bit pricy though, can anyone suggest a good scope up to 1K for varmint/target.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

i see were you all are comming from but i have a modest budget,600 euros,was looking at a leupold mark 4 tactical 4.5 x 14 x 40 mil dot for $699,

Rew wrote:
    Im looking at one of these ATM, plan would be to move it from my .223 to a .308 at some stage.

Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T Ilum

May even go for the Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T Ilum

Got the Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T Ilum TMR, very very nice scope. Fogot that i have 1" rings through so now I have to go get 30mm ones. Could have gotten em cheaper in the US if I had copped it...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

Rew wrote:
    Got the Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T Ilum TMR, very very nice scope. Fogot that i have 1" rings through so now I have to go get 30mm ones. Could have gotten em cheaper in the US if I had copped it...

rew, have to agree with you. picked one up a few weeks ago and it truely is a class glass. might even be a bit over kill for the .223 but i will stay in the family forever and its nice to have the option to upgrade it to any further larger rifle purchases.

out of curiosity, what mounts did u go with? and what do you think of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Shmidt&Bender,Swaroviski Zeiss Kahles,or Unertel are the top tac scopes.
    After that you are wasting money inmho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Nightforce, Leupold and US Optics would be highly regarded names too, probably more than Kahles or Unertl these days.

iremex wrote:
    rew, have to agree with you. picked one up a few weeks ago and it truely is a class glass. might even be a bit over kill for the .223 but i will stay in the family forever and its nice to have the option to upgrade it to any further larger rifle purchases.

out of curiosity, what mounts did u go with? and what do you think of them?

I havent got new mounts yet, not sure what ill get yet.

Advertisement