Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange call from Nigerian number to mobile..

• 13-11-2006 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

On two occasions during the last few weeks I had a missed call on my mobile from an unknown number. When tracing the country code it seemed that the call originated in Nigeria. The number is : +2348027703557.

Needless to say I do no know anyone in Nigeria (and do not feel the need to change this). I suspect it's some kind of scam but cant find anything online about it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

E.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Would it be so wrong if I guessed that the first few words after you answered the phone would be "I am a rich, but recently deposed official ..."? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Be real careful. I've heard about this. It's basically a ploy to get you to call them back in some form or other, and when you do, you're dialling a premium rate number. If you don't know who it is, or if they're telling you that you've won the Nigerian lottery, calmly and politely hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Naah, didn't answer the call.
    I would have directed them here otherwise: http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

read through 419eater.com too.....
    I know scammers email people, never heard of them calling mobiles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

These lads reaked a fair bit of havok too.. The intention is for you to call them back. The number is a premium line number and as such, they get a big lump of it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Devon wrote:
    Be real careful. I've heard about this. It's basically a ploy to get you to call them back in some form or other, and when you do, you're dialling a premium rate number. If you don't know who it is, or if they're telling you that you've won the Nigerian lottery, calmly and politely hang up.
    Ehhhh...theres no such thing as a premium rate Nigerian number mate....unless you live IN Nigeria.

If the chap was so curious as to ring it back he would be charged for a call to Nigeria which is a pre-defined rate by your operator, thats the worst that could happen.

Advertisement