Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink

Options
  • 13-11-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

need some help on this. my pc has a Socket A Athlon processor and i have got myself a new one, the highest my mobo can take its a Socket A 1.8 Athlon XP Palamino. What i want to know is will this (link) i have supplied for the heatsink be ok for it or could i just re-use my current one with some new thermal compund/grease. all help welcome if anyone has any links to better heatsink for this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Depends on the type of fan that came with the original CPU, if there is any doubt in your mind get one of these Zalman coolers highly effective and very quiet will handle any Athlon XP no problem.

{But be aware the Zalman coolers use custom mounts but it's something you only have to do once}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

below is the thread you helped me with before on this 8T8 and i dont think that Zalman above will suit my system going by their website as my mobo isnt mentioned as compatible so i'm thinking the heatsink i linked to above would suit better. what you think.
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002397

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah it should be okay though it looks rather cheap & nasty which usually = noisy you might want to have a look around for Socket A or Socket 462 coolers (same thing) just in case something better turns up.

As long as there is decent clearance around the CPU socket the Zalman cooler will fit, what I would do is get both if the Zalman doesn't work you at least have the fall back option of the one above and neither exactly cost an arm & a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

good advice thanks a million 8T8.

Advertisement