Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to upgrade from WinXP home to WinXP Pro SP2

• 13-11-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys

Is it possible to upgrade XP home to XP Pro using the XP Pro SP2 install CD?
    I cannot find an upgrade option and no guides/instructions on the net.
    Do I have to remove XP home first?

What I tried:
    I booted via the XP Pro install disk - there are no upgrade options.
    I selected install OS on existing XP Home parition.
    Installer complained about problems installing multiple OS's on a single partition.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

you were going about it in the right way ... you just simply use the pro disc and it should find the previous version ( home ) and ask u if u wanna upgrade ..... going about it this way will keep all your settings, files etc, did u boot to the disc ( pro ) or run it from windows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

albert wrote:
    Is it possible to upgrade XP home to XP Pro using the XP Pro SP2 install CD?

You can only upgrade using a full retail copy of XP Pro. XP Pro OEM does not support an in-place upgrade which is what you need.
    If you have an OEM version of XP pro, then you have no choice but to backup and do a clean install, or buy a retail copy of XP Pro.

Im assuming you wish to join an domain network, or encrypt your files hence the move to XP Pro?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget you also need a license to upgrade.

If you upgraded XP OEM with a non-oem upgrade copy of XP Pro then the OEM license dies and the XP pro upgrade is bound to the mother board and dies with it.

The full retail copy of XP that don't get bound to the motherboard ain't cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 albert

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate the info.

I'm installing XP Pro for my brother. He's in college but cannot connect to the college network without XP Pro (connection software errors in XP Home and college tech support said XP Pro is needed)

Yeah I can see the upgrade option when I load the CD from windows. (I was booting directly from it before)

The version I bought is XP Pro student edition - it says non OEM.

The laptop is running home OEM, so i guess the upgrade will fail due to licensing problems. Why the hell are these licenses so obscure!

So the only option I have is to install from scratch :(

Advertisement