Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NanKang Yokohama Falken

Options
  • 13-11-2006 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi a few months ago i fitted NanKang EX601 tyres to my mk2 Mr2 and im really regretting it now. In the dry they wheel spin and in the wet they are a nightmare. Yesterday was the final straw, going around a slow corner in Galway doing about 10kph the cars Back end nearly done a full 360 without warning!! I used to have bridgestone tyres (which were fantastic) but sadly they don`t make my size tire anymore....

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with NanKang and if anyone knows a good wet tyre that will fit a 205/60/r14 (odd wheel i know)

Im looking at these two tyres too, if you have any experience with them your feedback would be great!

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireSizes.asp?TireID=9

or Falken ziex ze512

Thanks

Fearg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Hi Feargal

Different tyres suit different cars - I had Nankangs on my '95 Omega in 225x65x15 (moonbuggy look) and they were fine. Had Pirelli P6000s on my MX5 and they were awful in the wet - yet mates said they were fine on a BMW 3-series.

You're best to talk to other MR2 owners and find out what's best - one thing I have heard in terms of Japanese sports cars (whether 2-seaters like the MR2 or 4-seaters like Imprezza) is that Toyo Proxes are great whatever the weather.

I have Yokohama A539s on my MX5 and they're great - but they've stopped making them now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I bought those Falken ZE512s (185/60/14s) and they were much better than the Bridgestones I had previously, plus they looked well with their v-pattern and were very reasonably priced. Got the 4 of them for €220. No experience of the other tyre you mention though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've been running Yokohama A-series tyres for years and I find them great; A509s previously and A539s these days. They can be quite difficult to get down here sometimes, so I've tried others in-between changes, and I always feel much more secure when I get back on Yokohama rubber. Highly recommended.

I'd imagine you're looking at the US site there btw. Info may not be accurate in Europe.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've had Yokohama A539s on a Delta integrale and they worked pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Had Falken ZE502 205/55/15s on a Celica, but don't think you can get ZE502 in that fit anymore so ZE512 may be only option. Bought them in Japan, quite popular there and found them great but hard to locate in Ireland. Made by SRI group (Sumitomo) make Gooodyear, Dunlop, Falken and Toyo for trucks (i think).
    Good tyre, good grip & braking, overall were quiet and well wearing. V speed rated.
    Yokohama are great but will cost more. Wouldn't touch Nangkang, like to stop when I hit the brakes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have heard night mares with the nangkang Ns-1 tires especially in wet weather yet they seem quite common. My brother bought a 92 vectra a few years ago with nangkangs on the back. He threw them off the car a week later, they were that bad. I see alot of folks with oversized rims with these tires. Last year I saw a done up corsa with 4 nangkangs on the wrong way round! Clueless.

Strange thing is, you can get good tires, at very decent prices. Recently I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE720's for 75 euro each (205/R15)

I had Toyo Proxes T1R's on my 16inch rims and I was very impressed. 120euro per tire from eiretyres.com for 225/50/R16

For pure grip, the leaders seem to be the Goodyear F1 DS3 & Pirelli P Zero rosso. Big money though & fast wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Feargal - chat with Karol up in Ballybrit Exhaust and Tyre - he sorted me out with Falkens during the week.

Also, was it either coming off the Salmon Weir Bridge at the Cathedral end or outside the Victoria Hotel that you nearly spun - 2 notorious spots for oily road surfaces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Feargal

Thanks for the feeback lads,

Advance said they would change the nankangs for Falken if i want but they said they didnt think the falken would be much better. Then they tried to sell me bigger alloys and tyres, but it felt more like a sales pitch than actual help.

Just checked the uk Yokohama website, looks like they don`t do the tire i want but they have something similar called S.drive tyre, prob not in my size though....:rolleyes:

Hi Andrewf20, i have bridgestone re720`s on the front, think thay are a fantactic tyre, tons of grip. if i have to change wheels ill definitely go for them again!

Hi fey, I was turning right off merchants road onto the a road going towards queen st. heading back out of town.

Thanks again for the feedback

Fearg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have Yokohama on the back of my MR2, came into the country with them on. Have avons on the front because that's all I could find one Saturday I was stuck. The backend has not stepped out yet and I have driven on very twisty regional roads in the wet.

That said I will probably replace the rears with Toyo proxies if I can get them in the right size... 225/45/16 isn't all that common :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Feargal

mloc123 wrote:
    I have Yokohama on the back of my MR2, came into the country with them on. Have avons on the front because that's all I could find one Saturday I was stuck. The backend has not stepped out yet and I have driven on very twisty regional roads in the wet.

That said I will probably replace the rears with Toyo proxies if I can get them in the right size... 225/45/16 is all that common :(

Do you know what model of yokos? i heard the toyo`s are good, but they dont have the size i want either... Might go to a scrappers and see if i can find 2nd hand 15" alloys, then get the bridgestone or toyo`s.

• Advertisement

Not sure which yokos but I'll check now in a while and post them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I've had yokohama a539's on a 106 gti, they were the best tyres I've had in the dry but grip was poor on wet or greasy roads.
    Best all rounders are goodyear eagle f1 gsd3's, excellent in the wet and dry.
    The goodyears are not too expensive either.
    Had toyo proxes too, very good but seem to be a soft compound and don't last as long as the others.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I have Yoko A539s - exceptional tyres.

Yokos I have are "advan dna gt", looks like they are only available in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

what tyres did you go with after, i'm due to change all 4 of my tyres on my car and am thinking about using yokohama tyres. are they any good?
    (my size 215 45 r17)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Read the charter, baegan. No re-surrecting old threads...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement