Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VHS to DVD

• 13-11-2006 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello.
    I have an extensive collection of videos, mostly of television shows, that I would like to put on to dvd and send to America. I was wondering what would be the best way to do it? I have been looking at tuner cards but their is no clear description.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Easiest and least time consuming? Buy yourself a standalone DVD recorder.
    Hook up the video recorder to it. Press Play. Press record.

LIDL have a good one for sale at the moment:
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20061113.p.DVDRecorderDR5300x

There are cheaper DVD recorders, but this one might have others uses (or you could sell it on when you were finished).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Buy a DVD recorder (probably <€150 now) and connect it to your vhs via SCART.
    Press Rec on one, and play on the other...

Spend a bit more and get a Hard Disc based one and you have something that can replace your VHS even better than a straight DVD Recorder for recording from TV - with pause live tv etc.

L.

P.S. Bugger - well done K_C_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

That's all well and good people, but will they be able to view them in their system?

Well, if their dvd player supported PAL, they could. Maybe you could send them the DVD recorder when you were done with it? :D
    If you have concerns about PAL support, I'd still go with the DVD recorder, then re-encode them usíng your PC. Use re-writeable DVDs?

I guess if you only have a couple of videos, the investment wouldn't be worth it.. You could pick up a tv tuner card for 40-150 quid, from any high-street computer store, ebay or Dabs/Komplett/Pixmania etc.

Don't worry about region coding. they wont be region-coded if you make 'em yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Maybe you could send them the DVD recorder when you were done with it? :D

i think you'd have voltage problems, if you sent the recorder to america

Almost any dvd player will play pal and ntsc dvds so you should be fine

Depending what media you record to, some dvd players might not like the recorded dvds. Most new dvd player should be okay playing back the discs, just make sure you finalise the discs and test them on a standard dvd player to make sure they play back before you send the discs

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote:
    i think you'd have voltage problems, if you sent the recorder to america
    I wasn't really suggesting he send over his new DVD recorder, so that they could watch the DVDs.. :D
    That'd be just wasteful!

Advertisement